1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Amazing Race Contest: HOLIDAY QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Danny R, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Question 1 (REQUIRED) : Which team finishes first in leg 6?
    Here is a chance to revise your answers from last week:
    Answer the same as you did last week, and you will lose two days from your score if correct. Change your answer and get the question right, and you will lose a day from your score. Wrong answers gain a day as usual, with the following exception: Change your answer, and discover your previous answer was correct, and you gain two days. Please note that last week's scoring doesn't change.

Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

-------------------------

Question 2 (REQUIRED) : Which team comes in sixth (next to last) place for leg 6?Select one of the answers below. Correct answers lose a day, and one day will be added for incorrect.

Lori & Bolo (32F/38M) Wrestlers
    Jonathan & Victoria (42M/31F) Married Professionals
    Rebecca & Adam (29F/27M) "Weird" Ex-Dating Couple
    Kris & Jon (30F/29M) Long Distance Daters
    Freddy & Kendra (35M/25F) Engaged Models
    Aaron & Hayden (25M/25F) Dating Models
    Hera & Gustavus (23F/49M) Father/Daughter

--------------------------

Question 3 : Is Leg 6 a non-elimination round?Answer correctly and lose a day. Incorrectly gains a day.

Yes
    No

---------------------------

Question 4 YIELD (REQUIRED) : What amount of time are Lori/Bolo behind the other teams?
    Closest answer wins the YIELD and may add a day to another contestants time and loses a day from their own time. Since times as teams cross the finish line are not always shown, this time does NOT have to be exact if an official finish time isn't knowable. Thus, in the absence of an official finish time, ANY mention of a time will be used for this answer, with the longest time mentioned being the correct answer. If no time is ever disclosed, the lowest answer wins the prize. Thus if Bolo just happens to say "crap, we're a day behind the others, the answer will be "1 day". If this is a non-elimination round and we might get an exact official time in the next episode, this question will be judged then.

Time: not mentioned. Bolo just said he was in last, he was in first, etc.

--------------------

Detour 1: Lori/Bolo missed the train, but what is the latest BUS departure from Eger towards Budapest?

The last BUS departure found by you folks was 20:45. I put those who guessed this in 1st and 2nd place, based on their response time. All other entries are considered wrong, and placed according to response time.

bgilmore, you listed a time and as proof linked it to a train schedule, so even though you had a later time, I marked it as wrong with all the rest. If you can document this as a bus time I'll give you the winning hand.

Scored so that there were two -2's, two -1's, three 0's, two +1's and two +2's.

---------------------

Detour 2: This week the contestants go to an internet cafe and logon to AOL. Approximately how many AOL CD's have been mailed out to date? Include link documenting source.

I had no idea on what the answer to this would be. Only two people attempted it, one giving a estimated amount, and the other an obvious wrong answer. Thus -1 and +1 to each respectively.

---------------------

PRIZE THIS SEASON IS A 20 GB APPLE IPOD.

THIS WEEKS RESULTS

2. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    To to clarify something, if a person chooses not to participate, then people below them could not catch up? Example: Since I'm the leader, if I choose not to participate, then markdl and Tusk couldn't catch up to me. Correct?

3. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Since I'm the leader, if I choose not to participate, then markdl and Tusk couldn't catch up to me. Correct?

Yes, thats correct. At least using the response bonus anyway. They might still catch up to you using the questions provided. And there is still the Yield option which can be used against someone. Likewise there may be a Fast Forward.

All of the questions this week will be of the type where you either gain time or lose time.

4. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    What if only one person tries this? Grading on a curve, it would be a complete waste of time, because that person would have no adjustment to their score. Seems like in that case, if the answer's right, they should lose a day, and if wrong, gain a day.

My $.02

5. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Sorry, but if nobody races against them, then they just get 0 for the detour. No bonus for competing a race solo.

This week's questions are now online. Enjoy!

6. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Well, whenever I race myself, I do tend to come in first. Except that one time I came in third, but there were extenuating circumstances...

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, even if you find you are the only one to play this week, there are still other incentives.

The standard questions offer a range of -5 to +4 days one can win. Then of course there is the possibility of yielding someone as usual, and perhaps a Fast Forward.

8. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    I could gain 4 days, and that's considered an incentive? :D

9. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    It's a lot more of an incentive then the 6 day lead I could lose just by participating, let alone any extra time that I could gain with incorrect answer. :)

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I can see you folks are definately risk takers. :lol:

Come on cdru... I know you want to play... you know you have fast fingers... what are you worried for? *grin*

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Great. Not only do I have an internal conflict as to whether I enter this week or not...but now I have the contest organizer egging me on as well. I really do want to play. I do have fast fingers and an even faster mouse finding the detours and clicking checkboxes/radio buttons. But I'm far enough ahead I have to protect myself as well. If I take a little bit longer then the next guy, I've just lost any type of a cushion I've gained. However a quick answer, even if not the quickest, may be able to knock off even more days if enough people decide to participate this week.

It's all about strategy. Sometimes it's better to take a safety and get the ball back right away then punt and give the opposing team a chance to score another touchdown. I've tried to play it fairly safe this contest with the exception of Week 3 Q3 that really hurt. I just don't know. I got a few more days to figure out what I want to do.

BTW...Danny there is at least 1 scoring mistake on the spread sheet. In week 1 H20Skier was scored +1 on Q3 when it should be -1 I believe. Shouldn't have too much of an impact on the game though.

12. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    cdru,

You should learn to take life easier. Haven't you learned anything from Gus and Hera? Slow down. No need to rush your fingers, or your mouse. Just let them enjoy what they're doing for a while, and stay relaxed. No need to come in first each week; just don't come in last. So relax!

13. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Spoken like someone not in 1st. ;) I know I need to take life easier and it's not the end of the world if I don't come in first..or second...or however many places there are. I'm not really uptight. Honestly. My wife would agree...at least not about the race. This actually relaxes me if you can believe it. I'm just too analytical. If it's something that is within my control, then I'd like to be able to control it. Regular week questions are required to be answered so I do and I always have/always will take the risk with the detours instead of the no-detour option. But when the entire week's worth of questions are asked...

14. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Sigh. Never claimed you were uptight, cdru. Just trying to make a joke. That's why I limited my post to a response to a single snippet of your comment.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    BTW...Danny there is at least 1 scoring mistake on the spread sheet. In week 1 H20Skier was scored +1 on Q3 when it should be -1 I believe. Shouldn't have too much of an impact on the game though.

Thanks. I'll see about fixing it.

but now I have the contest organizer egging me on as well.

Its my job to make the contest interesting... A prior winner with a sizable lead isn't conducive to that. ;) By the way, how's that computer holding up?

16. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    ~ 13 hours till this week's polls close.

17. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Are people who didn't participate this week still eligible to jump up to the next person, or is only their time included but they are ineligible to catch up?

18. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Only participants ever receive the bonus.

This week's treatment of non-participants is just because of the optional nature of the week's questions: For instance if only the 1st and last place folks play, I don't want the last place contestant receiving a bonus that ties them with the 1st place.

If that occurred during a normal week however, it would be a tie game. But this week is optional, so the bonus is restricted somewhat.

19. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The preliminary results likely won't be posted prior to tonights episode. However a majority of active players did participate.

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I think the producers are doing this on purpose to spite the scoring of this contest.