1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Amazon adds AutoRip feature

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Blurayfan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1 of 13
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    Just received this email from Amazon.

Introducing AutoRip

2. Feb 2, 2013 #2 of 13
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good to know!

I just purchased my first CD from Amazon -- the sound track from the movie, "Brother, Where Art Thou?'. It was a BD gift for the son of my housekeeper, along with the DVD of the film.

3. Feb 2, 2013 #3 of 13
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    I went to my Cloud Player and the albums were not yet added. However the act of signing in caused the player to update and the albums were slowly added as I watched. Out of the twenty CDs their email mentioned a couple were missing songs after the transfer was complete. I didn't like having incomplete albums so I just purchased the 10 missing songs (not AutoRip eligible) for $9.90.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #4 of 13
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    It's interesting, but I'm not sure about their pricing model. I found that in some cases the MP3 digital version was priced the same or higher than the physical CD which included the AutoRip.

Why pay $5 for the digital only version, when you cay pay $5 and get both the physical and the digital?

5. Feb 2, 2013 #5 of 13
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    I agree... I would just buy the CD and get both thanks to AutoRip.

6. Feb 2, 2013 #6 of 13
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I got the original Tommy (remastered) for $8.50, CD plus AutoRip.

When I went looking for the CD of the special version with the London Orchestra that I have on LP, I found the CD at ridiculous prices.

Instead, I picked up an audio capture device for about $20 to copy it off LP to digital. I've got quite a few others to copy too, so it will come in handy if it works well.

7. Feb 2, 2013 #7 of 13
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I got my notification at leasta week ago. What I thought was interesting is half the CD's I bought on Amazon were gifts stop now I have digital versions of them for CD's I don't own.

8. Feb 3, 2013 #8 of 13
    satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    SayW
    Can you tell me how you copy from LP to CD? I've got a bunch of albums to copy, and I know it can be done, just don't know the steps.
    I don't have a sound card, is that going to matter?
    Thanks

9. Feb 4, 2013 #9 of 13
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    There are accessories that you can purchase that do the deal. In most cases, they are record players that connect to your PC via USB. You have an app on you PC that records the music as you play the album.

- Merg

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    There are even turntables that have USB outputs. I bought one not too long ago but haven't used it yet.

11. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    If you already have a working turntable, this phono preamp with USB output works well.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I had my eye on a USB turntable, but I'm going to try this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE7M3M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

If the included software works the way they claim, it should be worth it. Even though it's supposed to split the tracks out, I'm sure I'll still have to type track names manually ---- or copy and paste them at least.

13. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Say,
    Did you look at the reviews?

This requires a pre-amp for phono as well. I'd be interested in knowing how well this worked for you.

The pre-amp klang posted is nice, but expensive.