1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon now offers streaming for Prime members

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Chris Blount, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Amazon prime members now get free streaming for movies and TV shows.

Attached Files:

2. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I've been waiting to see how this goes because $6.58 a month isn't a bad deal if they have the content. Unfortunately in my searching they don't have all that much available for the Prime members in terms of TV. Shows like Leverage still cost per episode. So hopefully they will quickly include more shows, if they include the right ones then I'll probably give it a try.

3. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    This sounds really cool and cheap enough to try.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Can anybody comment on the HD quality versus Netflix? I'd be using a Sony BD player.

5. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I was thinking the same thing... but they do have a 30 day free trial, so I might give that a shot in the near future.

A lot depends on what they have online, versus what I get via Netflix streaming.

6. Dave291367066120

Dave291367066120 New Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I have been thinking about getting Prime anyway, I have been buying from Amazon a lot lately. Maybe I will wait a bit longer before I pull the trigger to see how fast the content builds up.

7. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    This. Right now the content they have for streaming is pretty sad. And the amount is really low. Nothing I can't already get via Netflix or Hulu. They need to get some compelling content not on other services and need to quickly expand beyond the lowly 2000 or so titles they have available for streaming right now.

8. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Interesting article in MacWorld about Amazon v. Netflix streaming...

http://www.macworld.com/article/158126/2011/02/amazon_prime_vs_netflix.html#lsrc.rss_main

9. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Quality is great, but as others have said: selection not so.

10. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Quality is great.
    Was a Prime Member prior to instant video, so was a win for me.
    Selection is very lacking and very hard to navigate. Search is fine but it brings up all content, not just Prime.

11. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree. They really need content on there. Netflix is still the king at least for now. It is nice though especially, like yourself, I'm already a Prime member.

12. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    As and existing Prime member, I've been using it some, but as was said, the selection is not great at the moment. Quality seems on par with Netflix. I will say, the interface stinks... especially for HTPC/lean back use. A media center remote is of no use. I would like to see a Media Center plug-in with a "10 foot interface" and remote control functionality.

13. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I signed up for it the day it went live, I've watched quite a few things. It's well worth it with all the ordering I do from Amazon alone

14. Wilf1367066123

Wilf1367066123 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    We used the free trial - for one evening - then I cancelled. The GoogleTV app is awful. No comparison to Netflix.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you are not a Amazon Prime member, how can you see what will be free if you sign up? I might sign up for Amazon Prime for my company and this would be a nice added benefit. There are definitely a few shows (recent ones, such as Southland) that I'd like to watch as they are not out on DVD or at Netflix.

- Merg

16. leestoo

leestoo AllStar

Mar 23, 2002
    Already have Amazon Prime so it was a no brainer getting it.

But, I need a recentling watched queue.

And, the choices are not the best.

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    So far, a poor 3rd to Netflix and Crackle, IMO.

18. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Hi Nick,
    The only thing I don't like about Crackle is a lot of the episodes for instance like "The Partridge Family" are broken down to little mini sodes on the Roku anyways

19. Tony Chick

Tony Chick Legend

Aug 24, 2006
    I've been a Prime member for years now so it sounds good. I'm just slightly bemused that despite having an Apple TV, TiVo Premiere, DirecTV HR20 and Blu-Ray player alll with internet access I have nothing that can use it. Looks like more hardware needed, either a Roku or upgraded Blu-Ray player.

20. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Wow, even after a few months the Prime streaming selection is still terrible. Pretty much the only TV shows still available are from the BBC and PBS. Come on Amazon, get it in gear and offer streaming shows from channels like TNT, History channel or something. I'm not going to pay for junk.