1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Price Check App Furor

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Dec 10, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My wife and I basically have quit Christmas shopping, so this whole controversy has me asking "What don't I understand about truth, justice, and the American Way?"

If you haven't read the story about the Amazon Price Check App and the criticism of it from Olympia Snowe as "an attack on Main Street businesses", read Furor surrounds Amazon's price-comparison app in the LA Times and/or Backlash Against Amazon Price Check Builds Steam in Technology News World or any one of the hundreds of articles online.

Apparently, and I say apparently because I've never used it, while shopping in "brick and mortar" stores (we don't see many of those in our malls in California) a customer can scan an item's bar code to compare prices with rival local merchants and online merchants.

According to Snowe what Amazon was really doing was just "incentivizing consumers to spy on local shops." And from The LA Times article:
    From the Technology News World article:
    What we have here is an attack on competitiveness by a member of Congress. I expect it from retailers representatives, but Congress is discussing a uniform method of sales tax collection on e-commerce and this is just bad form.

How much shopping (meaning buying) would be diverted when people are in true "brick and mortar" "main street" stores? Or are we talking about frugal people in a Macy's or Target? Would you really, on December 10, walk out of a store without a Christmas purchase in your possession to get it somewhere else in the future, all to save 10%?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    What people complain about just amazes me. I'll compare prices of brick and mortar stores with online shops. If the brick and motor store is cheaper, I'll buy from there. It's that simple.

- Merg

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    The big difference between Brick & Mortar and Online is the cost of running several B&M locations compare to the cost of a single Online Location.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'll pay a bit more to a small business, but if it's a big chain, I'll go Internet if it's cheaper. But the small business can't be too much more. I have a standing 10% discount at a bicycle shop, they get my business on things thy carry or can order.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    What's fun is when you find the item at the Big Chain B&M website for less, or in a better color or special 'web only' combination package and they'll deliver to your home for free.

6. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    A single online location? Which one? Have you any idea of how extensive Amazon's business is? They are far from a "single online location."

I'm willing to bet they have more facilities locations, employ more people, use more energy, and incur more costs than many brick & mortar stores. So much for the limited expenses of a "single online location." :rolleyes:

7. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    It's funny, but around here the local mom & pop stores were run off years ago by Walmart.

There used to be local businesses that I bought from all the time. I bought clothing, computer parts, books, dishes, appliances and all sorts of other things from locally owned and operated businesses. Every one of them are gone.

If anyone can bring Walmart down, it's Amazon, and I'm all for that.

8. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Amazon is an exception. They're a monster.

Most Internet businesses are limited in products in their line of business.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I remember in 1972 going with my parents when they were looking for a new car. We went to 4-5 dealerships within about 30 miles pricing the same car. I wonder what Olympia Snowe would say about that? What about all the people who "let their fingers do the walking" through the Yellow Pages? What the customer doing is nothing new; it is just the technology. Probably fueled by a group in Washington that want a federal sales tax on purchases made via the internet.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It works in reverse too. When I see something I want in a B&M local store, Ill check the reviews on Amazon.com to see if they have lots of negatives before I buy it.

Basically, Id rather buy certain items locally, especially if I think I might need to return it, or want it right away, or dont want to wait for it. If its something that is not available locally (and its getting worse...see how many online items for B&M stores say "WEB ONLY"), then Ill shop online for best price.

WalMart is the worst. Many times, their web prices are LESS than the store. I went to buy a 60" TV I saw on the website, and the store wanted $300 more + tax. Manager would not price match their own website. Drove to Best Buy, and they had the same model for $25 more + tax. Did I order from Walmart.com to save the $25+tax? Hell No. Walked out of Best Buy with it. Heck with WalMart.

11. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I was in Sam's Club a while back and there were two Costco employees chatting and writing down prices. I know this is not uncommon. I think at one time Walmart bragged in an ad that they checked their competitors prices to make sure they were the lowest. Is it somehow immoral that shippers now can do the same?

12. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    It’s nothing new, I have been using an app on my iPhone called RedLaser to do the same price comparisons for years. (The local Walmart hates me when I ask them to price-match.)

I just guess that now that AMAZON is doing it it’s going to destroy the retail industry. :nono2:

13. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    $325 more just because you were mad at Walmart - There is NO WAY I'd do that.

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, I haven't heard the expression, "Cutting off your nose to spite your face" in a long time but it seems to apply here. There is just no way, all things being equal, that I would spend an extra $325 just to avoid doing business with a company.
    Pretty much the same thing.

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Dave wold be the best to address it, but I read his post differently:

Walmart had an online price A, and an in-store price of A+300+tax, and would NOT match the online price.

Best Buy had the in-store price of A+25+tax.

He bought the TV at Best Buy, so it didn't cost him an extra $325, only an extra $25 + tax. (He even says: "Did I order from Walmart.com to save the $25+tax? Hell No.")

I would probably have done the same thing...

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I read the post as WM's on-line price +$25 at BB.

Personally, I would never do business with either.

I'd like to know the model number to see if I could have beaten it from my usual sources.

17. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Wal Mart clearly says on it's website that the stores will not match the online price. Sad but true.....

18. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    But will deliver to store for a FREE Pickup Service.

That's the hilarious part. :lol:

19. Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    Then there is "pick up today" where you buy online and if its in the store you can pick it up in 1-3 hours.

20. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I've been using the Amazon app for over two years, it's certainly nothing new but I guess changing the name of it to Price Checker got people worked up. Sometimes it changes my mind about where and what to buy and some times it doesn't. I agree that it's the way things are and trying to fight it is just wasting time and energy. If a local store wants my business over Amazon or a different on-line merchant they had better find a way to add value to the purchase!