1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Amazon VOD - Free with Prime?

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by spartanstew, Jan 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Rumors of Amazon either purchasing Netflix or launching a competing option have been circling and now one of our readers says he's seeing an unlimited video streaming section to complement the current Amazon VOD options. That's a nice bonus for the $79 / year package that currently adds a few free shipping bonuses and it would be cheaper on a yearly basis than Netflix's Watch Instantly ($95.88.)

More HERE

Would be pretty sweet to get unlimited movies from Amazon with my Prime membership.

2. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    The 480p would not cut it for me but competition is always good! Netflix has a lot of room for improvement; i.e. a better streaming selection.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's 720p on Roku I believe. It would be good for streaming movies that you really don't mind not getting on Blu, and they do have titles Netflix doesn't have streaming.

4. Feb 1, 2011 #4 of 24
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    :confused:

5. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    As of today, Amazon video streaming is available for free to Prime members, according to a letter from Jeff Bezos to members posted on the Amazon web site. Amazon Prime members, in addition to getting unlimited free two day shipping on all purchases, will also have free access to over 5,000 movies, documentaries and TV Series. All this for $79 a year.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not all Prime get it, only the primary account holder of paid Prime memberships. So students, Amazon Mom customers and secondary accounts don't qualify. The only exception seems to be trial memberships get it.

7. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I am buying stuff from Amazon all the time, so when I saw this deal, I signed up for Prime, tons of BBC stuff free with Prime

8. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    The official announcement has been made that Amazon Prime members are going to get unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows for their $79 a year. This actually sounds like a good deal even over Netflix. I am wondering if this is good for HD versions of shows as well as sd and what is the Amazon player like. I know this has been brought up before as speculation and rumor, but it is now official.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
  10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The selection is veryyyyyyyyy limited. I was pretty disappointed, but hope it changes.

11. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Another question...

Is there an external hdmi switch? My Yahama received only has 2 hdmi inputs and both are being used.

hdtvfan0001, nice reference to that LA Times article. I am wondering if this Prime service includes all the TV shows you can now stream from Amazon? Considering that they charge up to 2.99 a pop for hd versions, the 79 a year is a steal.

12. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    There is no Amazon player. Like Netflix you can watch Amazon streaming in the browser on your computer and other devices. I have 2 Panasonic blu-ray players and a new Panasonic plasma that all have the Amazon app. It is probably on other devices as well.

13. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    I realize that Amazon does not make a player, I was wanting comments on devices that will stream their content. I have a Sammy blu ray and it will not, but I do not want to replace it so Ruku is an option thus the question on the hdmi switch.

14. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    If a Mod wants to move it fine with me. I couldn't figure which forum was right for this since my main interest for Amazon is streaming TV shows not movies.

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    You're welcome Sharon.

Yes, they do make HDMI 4-port and greater switches.

16. seern

seern DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Thanks, I will look into that.

I have also looked into what they are currently offering and it is very limited in both the movie and TV, so this is a nice to know but not to use yet.

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, with the AP story yesterday and the front page Amazon announcement (see screen shot below), I guess it's time for this old Prime participant to update the software on my Panasonic BD player and give it a try as I really want to see "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

[​IMG]

18. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Maybe not as many as other services, but not exactly limited:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Kids have enjoyed watching a few of the shows being offered from the Jay Ward library (Rocky & Bullwinkle, Fractured Fairy Tales, etc.)

20. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's an "ok" start, however I would have expected a bit more to be available at the start.

Amazon's issues are not only it's streaming library, but also getting the VOD client out to more devices. Many do have it, but some prominent device makers don't have it on their machines yet like the PS3(not sure about XBox), Samsung and LG BD players. LG is "supposed" to have it on their new line of BD players(BD6xx line), however it is NOT on the players out of the box(the LG app store opens Friday so perhaps this will change). Samsung has it on some TV's via the Yahoo widget but the widgets are exclusive to only some of their TVs and none of their BD players.