1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMC Channel

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by B Newt, Feb 20, 2011.

1. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    I noticed today that " The Good the Bad and the Ugly" running time is from 12:45P - 5:00P. How can a movie that ran 161 minuets originally run almost 5 hours?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's called commercial interruptions.

3. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I DVR ed Shawshank Redemption the other night & watched it later zapping commercials.It makes the movie or any other show more enjoyable.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    First...

The time is more like 4 hours 15 minutes... which is closer to only 4 hours than it is to 5 hours.

Second...

161 minutes = 2 hours 41 minutes... so that sounds about right given today's length of commercial breaks. Most shows seem to be right around 17 minutes of commercial + 43 minutes of show per broadcast hour.

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    For your convenience and safety, frequent commercial interruptions are provided so viewers can be instructed as to when, where and how to spend their money. However, the film's original running time has been carefully preserved in keeping with the director's intent, and at no time does the total running time for commercial interruptions exceed the length of the movie. This is an AFLAC rule or something.

6. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    AMC has evolved into a garbage channel. Every other week is Godfather or Rocky week. They show the same crap over and over and over... Good movies, but I'll buy the DVD/Blu-Ray. This is another channel that could easily be dissolved. There is an overabundance of channels like this with one or two original shows and 99% re-runs!

7. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    +1

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Unfortunately, AMC is owned by Rainbow Media which is owned by Cablevision. They own among others AMC, IFC, and Sundance Channel. IMHO they should combine them into one decend HD channel offering their original programming four or five nights a week plus divide up the movie theme lineups.

9. BenJF3

BenJF3 Godfather

Sep 12, 2008
    EXACTLY! Many media conglomerates own multiple stations that could be merged to lower channel counts and increase bandwidth with no real loss of programming.

Remember when MTV2 came out and was supposed to take it back to its roots and play music videos? It ended up being a clone of MTV and showing re-runs... Many channels seem to have this problem once they are bought up into a larger conglomerate.

10. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I think you've come up with a whole new reason to use a DVR. Brilliant!!! ;)

11. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Merging channels would lower advertising avail inventory, which is why most of them exist in the first place. Not sure about IFC & Sundance, though. Do they air commercials these days? If not, combining them with AMC would result in significantly lower carriage fees, which is the other reason they all exist.

12. donbean

donbean AllStar

Mar 13, 2010
    yea amc really cuts it up.try watching godfather 3 on amc . reading here amc is owned by cablevision ??? figures... i cant stand cv.

13. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The only problem is you spend more time zapping commercials with AMC then watching the movie (or so it seems)

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Oh, I always understood the interruptions were the correction of thoughtless movie producers who have never learned that we need pee breaks. Man did I get it wrong.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Stopped watching AMC many, many, many moons ago when they switched from commercial free to just another frequently interrupted cable channel.

Whenever that was; mid 90s sometime?

16. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Me too, but Rubicon and then the Living Dead brought me back.

I almost gave up on Rubicon due to the number and length of commercials, but the story kept me engaged enough to keep watching. Of course, they canceled it (in favor of more commercials, I'd guess!).

17. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    More likely, in favor of more viewers. The commercial load stays the same, but they get to charge advertisers more for them and then ask Dish and DirecTV for more money at contract renewal time.