1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMC HD poor quality last night.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by HolyRoses, Nov 5, 2012.

1. HolyRoses

HolyRoses Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    Last night I was trying to watch AMC HD walking dead and it was very bad quality. So was the show after it "talking dead". Anyone else notice this? Other channels seemed fine. Seemed like it had a very low bit rate.

2. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    It was horrible!!! Worst I've seen yet. Even The Talking Dead looked subpar but not as bad as the Walking Dead! What is going on with this channel? One of the most popular shows on TV and it always looks bad. FAIL!!! :mad:

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    That's AMC... They've always been overcompressors.

4. HolyRoses

HolyRoses Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    OK. well thanks for validating it was crappy for you too. :(

5. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Watching a recording of Comic Book Men from last night...crappy compression. Usually, they actually do better during their shows & commercials look like crap...not last night.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    AMC: Always More Compression

7. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    I've actually seen this channel look worse on FIOS HD while visiting family in New England. Customers on FIOS have been complaining about it for a while.

If AMC is over compressing then why do some other AMC HD shows look better? The Killing, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. all looked much better than the Walking Dead!! :confused:

8. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    They'll actually fix it during shows then crap during commercials.

9. HolyRoses

HolyRoses Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    I think part of the problem with Walking Dead is due to it being filmed in 16mm film. It is already noisy to begin with. I think this noise is harder to encode. Last night though it looked very bad, even the screen graphics like the logo were full of corruption.