1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

American Idol 2013

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dettxw, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    The new season has started, tryouts today at the Chesapeake Arena in Oklahoma City!
    (Good thing they're inside the arena rather than outside where it's scheduled to hit 109 degrees today.)

Not sure what happens to the talented and lucky ones who make it through the preliminaries to the TV round - no judges!
    Maybe that'll be delayed until later?
    Who will replace Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez?

Here's wishing my daughter-in-law Emily well at her tryout, she's going to sing Cry Me a River by Diana Krall.
    It's about time we had another blonde-haired blue-eyed small town Oklahoma girl in the competition! :D
    (you know, like Carrie Underwood)

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    AI has an opportunity to re-invent itself. While I really liked Steve a lot, I disliked the other two judges (JLo and Randy) quite a bit.

JLo's tenure was blatently self-serving. Someone (I don't remember who) said she was using it to make a comeback. I tend to agree. Since coming on AI, she has released a number of videos using AI as a launch pad; she has appeared in a few commercials and hosted a show on hispanic music. Now she's over exposed but asking for more money (as if she needed it). Her judging abilities were questionable, to say the least. I am glad that Fox fired her.

The only sad part about this "empty bench" is the departure of Steve. I saw him as a refreshing voice of reason and his humor was well timed. If he were to somehow return, I certainly welcome it. One has to wonder why Fox fired him.

Like someone else said, "Randy represents the old AI". I agree with this, too. Nuff said there...

The upcoming season will probably continue, but if they don't fill the judging bench in time, I would imagine they can go ahead without airing the auditions. I'm sure the Fox (or whoever produces it) has the cash to lure just about anybody.

3. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    They just finished auditions in New Orleans earlier this week and the local Fox station said that these auditions were to select contestants to be auditioned by the executive producers who will then pick who goes on to the celebrety judge round. So once they get the new judges, they will call those selected back.

Actually, this is pretty much the process every year. The celebrity judges don't get involved until late in the process.

4. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Too bad Fox won't take this crap off the air... same for the other networks that copy these 'talent' shows as they are too lazy/cheap to develop good programming. These sing-song talent shows, I feel, have long surpassed their usefulness. Maybe it's just me.

5. maartena

maartena Hall Of Fame

Nov 1, 2010
    I think I have had enough of it. I have watched it since about season 3, (I was not living in the U.S. during season 1 and 2) and although I think Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are excellent judges, and play on each other very well.... but another judge change?

I think they have milked it for what it is worth.... I may or may not watch it, we'll see.

6. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    +1 :hurah:

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    TV Show Talk Forum Rules: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=108397
    If you don't care for the show, don't post here. Thanks.

8. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    The show has been fun at times, its strength is the couples thing, you can talk over and make snide comments or rave about great performances without losing anything. There's almost zero content to compete with.

The show lumbers on, barely, but from what I'm hearing, their short list of potential judges for this season is mind-numbingly bad. I could like the show with Dawg and Jimmy and couple of smart, informed judges. But this list is like a bevy of torpedoes aimed dead amidships. Failed non-producer middle-aged desperados.

We'd like to watch. But how low can they go judges-wise?

A save for me would be sticking Jimmy right on the judging panel. Or at least adding a Will.I.am or other such "made guy" credible producer onto the panel. Then they can go the bimbo route with the last pick and it'll still have credibility.

I've noticed a bunch of folks saying that just like me, they jump straight to the Jimmy segments and skip the rest. Hopefully that's a hint hint to the producers.

9. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Mariah has signed on. That's the singer part of the panel.

Jimmy should sign up as a judge. That would be the Production side of it.

And Steve (or Fox) should reconsider. That would be the entertainment side of it.

Other than that, maybe Nick would consider ... nah, Ryan won't let that happen. :p

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    After Mariah (shudder) they NEED a Jimmy directly on the panel. It's MANDATORY!

11. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    Nobody is making you watch.

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    !rolling+1 !rolling

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

14. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Starts January 16th.

15. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Looks like the OKC auditions will be in next week's show.
    Hope that they won't try and make OKC look too redneck.
    Maybe it won't be too bad as the first rounds were held at the Chesapeake Energy Arena where the Thunder play, and the TV judging was done at the events center of the Devon Boathouse.

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Looks like the Friday Night Fights have moved to Wednesday and Thursday.

17. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought this was interesting/telling

American Idol ‏@AmericanIdol

RT if you're watching #idol right now!
    Retweeted 3976 times

18. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
  19. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Yeah Jerry, I can't believe anyone still takes this seriously. Needs to riffed and mocked as often as possible. Too bad this won't turn into a snarky thread.

20. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm still an Idol fan, but, if the first show is an indication of what we're in for this season, I don't know how much of Mariah and Nikky I'm willing to endure. Hopefully the producers will intervene. Listening to them blabber made me appreciate The Voice judges a lot more.