1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol Judge is out

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. A Judge is gone. From a her website, Ellen says she is leaving American Idol after one year:

Source

2. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I liked Ellen as an AI Judge :(

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Thumbs up to Ellen...
    She did a great job on AI.... but her rational for leaving is very sound...and extremely professional... and by far is a class act.

It is going to be intresting next year... at least 2 new judges...
    Wonder if Randy will take the bow before the season starts... and maybe a clean slate to start season 10...

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. I thought it was a good idea to have a "lay" judge on the panel who either simply liked the performance or not. It was a nice counterpoint to the technical criticism, which is also important, but doesn't always take intangibles into account.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Show's on the downward slide....judges bailing....

I read Beavis & Butthead were coming back so maybe...just maybe.... :D

[Lord knows they could do a better job than seen the last year or two]

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Ditto!! :)

Rumor has it they might go back to three judges.

If Harry Connick, Jr. gets the job, I'll be there. If Jessica Simpson gets the job, I don't think I'll be back.

~Alan

7. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    Just went to log in at mail.com and they're saying Jennifer Lopez is replacing Ellen.

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Harry Connick Jr. or bust

9. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Jennifer Lopez???? :barf:

I'd like to see Gene Simmons.
    [​IMG]

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    At least Jennifer knows SOMETHING about singing and music :D selling a few hundred million records will do that...Ellen was purely the pits.

As for Gene - yes...a good replacement for Simon - he'd tell it like it is, and also knows music.

Adding Gene and Jennifer would likely bring back the ratings somewhat.

11. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Kara gone too? The show done for me. No Simon, No Kara, No Ellen. Yes I like Randy but ugh.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that it would be great for the show to simply end at this point; going out on top would be classy and would make way for Mr. Cowell's X Factor which according to reports has surpassed Idol in global popularity.

I doubt that's going to happen, so I guess the next best thing would be a total reboot, all new judges and perhaps a revised format.

13. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I'm not a AI watcher, but I think Alice Cooper would be a better judge than Gene Simmons - ol' Alice is extremely knowledgeable about music, tells it like it is, and is very funny and entertaining!

14. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Last Comic Standing changes judges every year. They have also changed the format a few times. This year is the best season to date. I agree with Stuart, new judges all around and a format change. Without the changes the show will not last. While ratings are still good, how much of that is from people like me who just never cancelled the season pass and checked out the show if something great happened?

15. Mark Walters

Mark Walters Legend

Sep 21, 2009
    Don't kid yourself.. she was pushed out. I stopped watching the show years ago. I'll tell you this -- I wouldn't waste one minute of my time watching Ellen judge musical contestants -- it's beyond ridiculous -- you know with her extensive background in music and all. :nono2:

AI jumped the shark before Ellen joined -- her role as a judge officially solidified it. Anybody with a music background can't take her seriously. The only hope for AI was to dump Ellen. I don't care what her website or the news reports claim -- she was told to step down or be fired.

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    then they should have ended a couple of years ago.

I liked Ellen, but Simon made the show for me (although even he couldn't save this last season). Any other panelist is an exchangeable part, but he'll be hard to replace.

I heard the other day, it might be P. Diddy.

17. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Looks to be Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez & Randy Jackson from what I have been reading elseware.

18. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    These are the reports I am hearing too.

19. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've never watched the show (better things to do with my time, like watching my grass grow), but from all I hear (unavoidable) the show is on life support. Will someone please pull the plug so I'll have more time to watch Spooky on Jersey Snore turn orange. :nono2:

20. swamptiger

swamptiger New Member

Aug 10, 2008

not ending yet at lease one more year . they are in the big easy this week
    just my two cents worth i like to see America's Got Talent Piers Morgan he's a simon clone