1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol (Top 11) Redux 3/30/2011

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Mar 30, 2011.

Who are your favorites?

1. Scotty McCreery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Naima Adedapo

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. Paul McDonald

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Pia Toscano

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Stefano Langone

27 vote(s)
    56.3%
  6. Lauren Alaina

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. James Durbin

21 vote(s)
    43.8%
  8. Thia Megia

28 vote(s)
    58.3%
  9. Casey Abrams

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  10. Jacob Lusk

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  11. Haley Reinhart

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Last week Casey had an emotional finish that had more bleeps in 2 minutes than the previous 9 years of Idol .. What will tonight bring?

2. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't know about anyone else, but for me, this is turning out to be one of the best seasons ever. Even the bad singers this week were good. I'd love to keep them all, even naima who was the worst.

This, I thought, was this close to "a moment". Pia and James rocked the world. Maybe it's the addition of Jimmy, I don't know, but this is turning into a special season for me. Who was the mean Judge again?

3. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Loved every song. Top to bottom. I've never been able to say that. Maybe it was Elton John, but great, great show.

I'm pretty sure Naima will be gone, and maybe Paul. But it really could be anyone.

If I could pick who left it would be Stefano, but he kicked it up a notch. Casey redeemed himself in a great way. I even enjoyed Jacob tonight (I don't like his style).

The best of the night? Tough call, but a toss up between Haley, Casey and Pia. Great show.

4. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Paul--Beyond awful. Worst performance on Idol for years. Two days ago I said if he sang Rocket Man he'd be gone in 24 hours, he did, and he will be.

Casey--Props to Jimmy for beating him up about last week. The amazing thing is was: Casey has a voice somewhat similar to Elton's, and it worked out great.

Thia--She's stuck in this rigid Beauty Queen girl performance niche and can't break out. Bottom 3.

Naima--Gutsiest and best performance of the night. The judges were TOTALLY full of spit on her. What dolts.

Haley--Overrated. She started with time problems and her growly junk was just kind of karaoke/silly, not sexy at all. 7 out of 10.

Stefano--Horrible inappropriate lounge version of the song. Watching him reminds me of Johnny Fontane in the The Godfather. Bottom 3. Once again, judges completely up their assets.

James--Hard, thin, screamy voice with no vibrato. Ugly, crass, smug without the equipment. Bottom 3. Judges are on acid. The brown stuff.

Jacob--Just do it in drag, baby and be the man we know you can be. Come out of the closet and let it all hang out. Then it might work.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Based on last night...its Pia, James, Lauren.....and everybody else. Last week they appeared to be the final 3, and this week's performances didn't seem to change that.

Credit to several others who picked up their game, but its still a 3-person group a bar above the rest.

6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Pia still makes me puke. To me, she's everything I hate about American pop music. And Haley is headed for... Ok - I'll stop now.

7. Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    My rankings as well. My bottom four were Naima (sounded like someone trying to imitate a reggae song), Stefano (boring and cannot connect), Paul (is he singing or just whispering), and Jacob (more like a soap opera than a song last night).

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Wouldn't surprise me if Thia and Paul go this week. I still don't like Haley, but thanks to Randy's "best of the night" :)scratchin) comment, she'll probably survive another week.

James made me wish Adam was back this year for that production number. I thought James was OK, but Adam would have slayed it, IMHO.

9. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd agree with all those observations.

The only thing is while Adam might have slayed it...his record sales only puts him in the top 15 of all time among Idol alumni...he just passed Eliott Yamin last September in sales....so he's not exactly knocking the socks off of people in terms of a music career.

Given the right professional guidance, I can see Pia (who I personally am not fond of, but can see the singing talent) and perhaps Lauren each selling alot of Cd's and downloads in the future.

In the end - this is a music contest to find a money-making candidate. Right now, there's a short list of those among this group. The rest will make money on the Idol tour and then fade away just like in past years.

10. thxultra

thxultra Godfather

Feb 1, 2005
    Can't agree more about Pual... His voice is like nails on a chalk board. How is this guy even in the top 11...

11. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Paul :lol:

Ouch! That dude has a cool style and a cool voice. However, not sure I can take it much longer. :lol: Maybe he should sing James Blunt Songs.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you compare Paul directly to the original, it sucked .. but he stylized it differently than the original. For me, framed the way he framed it .. I thought he did a great job.

Now as for bottom, I think that Paul and Naima will be going home.

And I still think Scotty is gonna win the whole thing.

13. Hutchinshouse

Sep 27, 2006
    My wife :heart: Scotty.

That Jacob dude tells a story every time he sings. I thought he was going to cry in the middle of the song last night. He really gets into the songs.

Thia is a Disney star without a doubt.

Pia is neat to look at. However, not sure we need another Celine Dion clone.

If we set aside everything and just focus on how the American Idol game is played, James will win. Jacob will be in the finale with James.

14. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I thought I was going to cry in the middle of his song last night - not a country fan. :D:lol:

But that guy's likely all set for a contract once Idol ends - he has talent for sure, despite it being in a genre I can't stand. Country music is an oxymoron in these parts. :lol:

15. Hutchinshouse

Sep 27, 2006
    I was referring to Jacob crying, not Scotty.

On a side note, you don’t like country music? :( I dig it (along with many other genres)

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    With 18 years of music training, I can handle everything from 1812 Overture to Lady Gaga and most everything in between.

Rap and Country are exclusions, as were "elitist music purists" see little true music in those genre categories. :lol::lol::lol:

After all...how many ways can you love your dog, leave your wife, race your car, or drink beer?

On the other hand...I know 2 family 20 somethings who love Country.

Obviously they are still young and uniformed. !rolling

Despite all that - Scotty is excellent at what he does. He's clearly got a solid future in the country <cough> music business.

17. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Regardless of what this group thinks (Not a huge Country fan myself), I'm pretty sure that Country Music has more followers than just about every other genre.

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    You may be right, of course...

Then again...the masses have been wrong in their choices before. :D

Getting back to the topic...

What I have observed not only this week but most of the season is that they have a well-rounded group from multiple genres this year. In addition, the judges have exceeded my expectations, as I had low expectations and the new ones have been a bit of a surprise.

In the end - I suspect Pia, Lauren, James, and Scotty will be the final 4.

19. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    He's "Choppin' Brocolleye-ahh..." :lol:

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Record sales say otherwise. In 2010 only 2 country albums were top 10 and they've pretty "pop-like" artists. I'm not discounting it's popularity, but pop/hip hop/R&B is a bit bigger.

1. Lady GaGa – ‘The Fame Monster’ – 5.8 million
    2. Eminem – ‘Recovery’ – 5.7 million
    3. Justin Bieber – ‘My Worlds’ – 5.6 million
    4. Lady Antebellum – ‘Need You Now’ – 3.6 million
    5. Taylor Swift – ‘Speak Now’ – 3.5 million
    6. Susan Boyle – ‘The Gift’ – 3.0 million
    7. Black Eyed Peas – ‘The E.N.D.’ – 3.0 million
    8. Michael Bublé – ‘Crazy Love’ – 3.0 million
    9. Sadé – ‘Soldier Of Love’ – 2.3 million
    10. Alicia Keys – ‘The Element Of Freedom’ – 2.3 million

Top 40 albums of 2010: http://www.mediatraffic.de/albums-2010.htm