1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

American Idol (Top 13) 3/07/2012

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Alan Gordon, Mar 6, 2012.

Favorite Idol Contestant(s)?

1. Colton Dixon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. DeAndre Brackensick

30.8%
  3. Elise Testone

15.4%
  4. Erika Van Pelt

15.4%
  5. Heejun Han

30.8%
  6. Hollie Cavanagh

15.4%
  7. Jeremy Rosado

38.5%
  8. Jermaine Jones

15.4%
  9. Jessica Sanchez

7.7%
  10. Joshua Ledet

23.1%
  11. Phillip Phillips, Jr.

23.1%
  12. Shannon Magrane

46.2%
  13. Skylar Laine

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mar 6, 2012 #1 of 12
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I'm getting an early start on this thread. I want opinions PRIOR to showtime tomorrow night.

1. Who are your favorites so far?
    2. Who do you think will do well with Whitney (Houston)/Stevie (Wonder) night tomorrow night?
    3. Who do you think will win it all?

~Alan

2. Mar 6, 2012 #2 of 12
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    1. Who are your favorites so far? All the guys except Jermaine Jones. For the girls I like Hollie Cavanagh, Skylar Laine, & Jessica Sanchez
    2. Who do you think will do well with Whitney (Houston)/Stevie (Wonder) night tomorrow night? Hollie Cavanagh, Jeremy Rosado, & maybe Colton Dixon.
    3. Who do you think will win it all? Skylar Laine or Phillip Phillips

3. Mar 6, 2012 #3 of 12
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think the Judges picks will be picked off early .. They weren't picked by America after all.

I thought Hollie really stood out from the group along with Jessica Sanchez, Phillip Phillips and Colton Dixon.

I like this group and unlike last year I don't yet see a sure-thing winner. contrary to popular opinion (here), I though Scottie had it in the bag from the very beginning last year.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #4 of 12
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yeah... I was speaking about you the other day. :nono2:

~Alan

5. Mar 6, 2012 #5 of 12
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Who are your favorites so far? Joshua

Who do you think will do well with Whitney (Houston)/Stevie (Wonder) night tomorrow night? Joshua

Who do you think will win it all? Joshua

6. Mar 6, 2012 #6 of 12
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Three people put in their 2 cents, so I'll comment now:

1. Colton Dixon: So far, I'm not impressed. He put in a great show this past Tuesday night, but I didn't care for it personally. He's capable, but so far, I've only been impressed by him once this year. Everyone I know preferred his sister... :rolleyes:
    2. DeAndre Brackensick: Good voice, and I thought he put everything into his "save me" performance, but doesn't really interest me.
    3. Elise Testone: Extremely good, but I don't connect with her voice very much. Perhaps a future performance will show me that connection.
    4. Erika Van Pelt: Very good as well, and I'm excited to see what performances she will be presenting us with, but...
    5. Heejun Han: Great voice, but his accent gets in the way of things. If he worked with a vocal coach to get rid of it, or at least lessen it in his singing, he'd be great. Until then, he'll be lacking.
    6. Hollie Cavanagh: One of my favorites... I'm definitely a Holliepop!
    7. Jeremy Rosado: Again, one of my favorites. Awesome voice! He probably doesn't have the "look" to make it, but he's great! He's gotten compliments from Sarah Bareilles, Pia Toscano, and I'm not sure who Skyler Dixon is rooting for more, her brother or Jeremy... seems like Jeremy! :lol:
    8. Jermaine Jones: Seems like a good guy, and his voice is cool, but I haven't been impressed. I know several people who lists him among their favorites.
    9. Jessica Sanchez: One of my favorites... awesomesauce! Nothing more to say...
    10. Joshua Ledet: Again, one of my favorites. Awesome voice...
    11. Shannon Magrane: Again, one of my favorites. I liked her audition pretty well, but she has impressed me more with her performances since then. I was not aware of how talented she was until they went to Hollywood, but she's managed to impress since then.
    12. Skylar Laine: She's like a more energetic version of Kellie Pickler. She's entertaining on stage, but I'm not crazy about her voice...

I saved Phillip Phillips, Jr. for last. Why?!

• Phillip Phillips, Jr.: PP is from Leesburg, GA... which is in a neighboring county of mine. No stranger to talent, Lee County has provided the country with (Country singer) Luke Bryan, (San Francisco Giants catcher) Buster Posey, an "America's Got Talent" contestant (not sure of the name), and several movies like "Facing The Giants", "Fireproof", "Courageous", etc.

To make things more interesting though, he apparently spent some of his childhood growing up in Sasser, GA which is a small town in Terrell County, GA, where I live. Terrell County, GA had some scenes from an upcoming Disney movie shot here, as well as scenes from an old Western shot here, but also the birthplace of Otis Redding.

I know multiple people who complain that every song he sings sounds similar... a criticism I share outside of one performance during group week. However, I still think he's extremely talented, and not being that crazy of SWGA, I wouldn't vote for someone simply because he was a local, but I think he's good and I like to see him make it pretty far. If he makes it to the top 3 where he gets to go home (and I expect he will), I'd like to go to that concert.

~Alan

7. Mar 6, 2012 #7 of 12
    sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Alan mentioned Phillip being his local contestant... Hollie is our local contestant from bordering city of McKinney, TX. She has some serious vocal power in her little frame.

8. Mar 6, 2012 #8 of 12
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I love everything about Phillip Phillips except his song choices! IMHO, he needs someone like Jimmy Iovine to help him with his selections.

9. Mar 6, 2012 #9 of 12
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Indeed...

[​IMG]

One of my favorites... though I must ask since McKinney is North of where most of my Texas family is from, do many of you have a British/Australian accent?! ;) :D

~Alan

10. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    "In The Air Tonight" is a song he performs locally, so it was nothing new to me since there are videos on YouTube.

Jimmy said that he and Jessica were two contestants that he'd sign on the spot, but I'd like to see some variety from him...

~Alan

11. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    lol Funny picture. Where's your Texas family from? You mentioned being north and they're on our northern border. McKinney used to be our (Allen) high school rivalry before our town and high school exploded in size.

12. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I have three family members in Corpus Christi, TX. There used to be more down there, but only the three now...

My grandparents, mother and one uncle lived there for a while as well, as well as Brownsville.

~Alan