1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

American Idol (Top 7) - 04/03/2013

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Alan Gordon, Apr 3, 2013.

Who Were Your Favorites?

1. Amber Holcomb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Angie Miller

50.0%
  3. Burnell Taylor

83.3%
  4. Candice Glover

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Janelle Arthur

66.7%
  6. Kree Harrison

33.3%
  7. Lazaro Arbos

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Discuss... :D

2. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    As I feared, the "girlie" vote not only saved Lazaro and sent Burnell packing, but Lazaro was voted into the Top Three! :lol:

This ludicrous act is one reason AI has jumped the shark. Special interest groups (and the "girlie" voters certainly seem to qualify as one) are exacting inordinate amounts of influence, so much so that they skew the outcomes way out of all proportions.

The voting scheme this show uses has long been recognized as a hindrance to the search for a gifted singer. Most other shows now augment their voting with that of the judges or, as in the case of The Voice and SYTYCD, the judges thin the contestant ranks before giving America a chance to vote. And yet, AI persists in using this method.

Well, at least none of the girls were victimized. That'll probably happen next week. :rolleyes:

3. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I was wondering if maybe VFTW had finally figured out how to really afftect the voting.
    Do they, have they had a real impact?

If AI is pushing Lazaro, if they need the publicity that comes from people talking about the embarrassing continued presence of Lazaro then they've fallen far indeed.

4. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    To me, VFTW comes under the special interest groups I mention above. Just as bad and just as disruptive.

As to your other point, if true then yes, they have indeed fallen. But I would rather suspect a technical oversight (the voting scheme) over a deliberate manipulation of viewership.

Then again ... :confused:

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    The contestants will be singing two songs apiece tomorrow night. The themes are:

• Burt Bacharach and Hal David Catalog
    • "Songs They Wish They'd Written"

The set lists have also been revealed:

Kree Harrison
    Song she wishes she wrote: "How to Make It Through the Night" by Kris Kristofferson
    Bacharach/David song: "What the World Needs Now"

Angie Miller
    Song she wishes she wrote: "Love Came Down" by Kari Jobe
    Bacharach/David song: "Anyone Who Had a Heart"

Candice Glover
    Song she wishes she wrote: "Love Song" by The Cure (Adele version)
    Bacharach/David song: "Don't Make Me Over"

Lazaro Arbos
    Song he wishes he wrote: "Angels" by Robbie Williams
    Bacharach/David song: "They Long to Be Close to You"

Janelle Arthur
    Song she wishes she wrote: "The Dance" by Garth Brooks
    Bacharach/David song: "I'll Never Fall in Love Again"

Amber Holcomb
    Song she wishes she wrote: "Love on Top" by Beyonce
    Bacharach/David song: "Say a Little Prayer"