1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol (Top 7 - Redux) - 04/18/2012

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Alan Gordon, Apr 18, 2012.

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?!

1. Colton Dixon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Elise Testone

8.7%
  3. Hollie Cavanagh

30.4%
  4. Jessica Sanchez

60.9%
  5. Joshua Ledet

43.5%
  6. Phillip Phillips, Jr.

21.7%
  7. Skylar Laine

39.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Who were YOUR favorites tonight?

~Alan

2. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    ROUND #1

HOLLIE: I generally think it's a bad idea to do an Adele song, but I thought she did incredible! She owned it...

COLTON: I was very sad when his sister came up on stage... I like her SO much better than him. I was not impressed with his performance...

ELISE: I thought she did well, but it was not up to her usual quality. I wanted her to kill it, and she stopped short of doing that.

PHILLIP: I REALLY ENJOYED THIS. I was impressed... I like the arrangement, and I thought he made the song his own.

JESSICA: Not the best performance she's ever done, but I thought she did incredible... nothing new for her.

SKYLAR: Mixed emotions... I've never heard the Country version... I wasn't blown away by it, but I thought she did fairly well for her.

JOSHUA: I wasn't familiar with the song... but I thought he did well vocally. Not my favorite Joshua performance, but I liked that he toned it down some for this performance.

ROUND #2

HOLLIE: I really thought Skylar would sing this song... I thought it was pretty good for her, but nothing spectacular... which is what I felt her first song was.

COLTON: I was reminded of how very sad I was when his sister came up on stage... I like her SO much better than him. I was not impressed with his performance...

ELISE: Uh... I was blushing and adjusting the collar on my shirt with some of the noises she was making and looks she was giving. Not my favorite performance of hers... but she was certainly drawing me into the song! :eek2: ;) :D

PHILLIP: I was hoping he'd do Otis Redding, but I REALLY ENJOYED THIS. I was impressed... and I LOVED the amount of fun he was having on stage. "AWKWARDLY BRILLIANT"... I'm stealing that phrase from Steven... I LOVE it...

JESSICA: Not my favorite performance by her, but I really enjoyed her trying something different, and I was very pleased by it. :)

SKYLAR: I'm not crazy about Skylar, and I love this song, so I SHOULD hate what she did with it, but for some weird reason, I REALLY enjoyed it. :confused:

JOSHUA: I thought he did well, but I've heard better performances of this. I (and others I know) are afraid his song choice will hurt his votes in my neck of the woods too, so I'm concerned for him.

FAVORITES OF THE NIGHT: Phillip, Hollie, Jessica
    WORST OF THE NIGHT: Colton
    BOTTOM THREE PREDICTION: Elise, Joshua, and ??????
    WHO'S GOING HOME?: Elise :(

~Alan

3. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    Hollie, Jessica and Philip. Hoping one of these three wins it all.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    To me Hollie won the night, with Elise and Jessica tied for second. Phillip was in the middle of the pack with Skylar and Joshua. And Colton was at the bottom. Alone. His performances seemed off-key and flat.

If fans voted based solely on tonight's performances, they should put Colton in the bottom three but it's a toss-up who will be with him.

5. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Aside from the fact that I'd switch Phillip and Elise... we're in total agreement.

~Alan

6. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm glad they finally cut Hollie a break. I don't think her stage presence was markedly different than last week's, but I guess they decided they beat that horse to death and decided to pick on Elise instead, after her second song.

I actually thought Skylar won the night. She delivered on both those songs, IMHO. I know she's not going to win it all, but this was her strongest night on Idol so far, IMHO.

I loved Jessica's first performance, but I thought she needed a little "tenderness" at the end of the second performance. Too intense for my taste.

I'm a fan of Joshua's, but I didn't think he killed the Sam Cooke song at all, in spite of their praise. Overall, I thought it was a bad night for him, and I wouldn't be shocked if he goes home this week.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Colton better have a lot of 12 yr olds in his corner this week.

8. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    It was about time that Joshua did Sam Cooke, but then he couldn't resist squalling through parts of it. He should have nailed it.

Phillip Phillips is a doofus isn't he? First song was better than his usual, second - he should of done Mustang Sally instead. Like Joshua he had a song that he should of crushed but didn't.

What would happen if Jessica had to hold the microphone with her left hand? Should do better in the voting, eh?

Judges kept saying that contestants didn't belong in the bottom three, but then somebody has to be there don't they?

Hollie was better last night. Elise was bad. Skylar, well it all starts sounding the same. Very loud though.

I don't get Colton but then I don't count. He seems to be limiting himself as does Phillip, but then probably no changing them.

I see that I haven't had much nice to say. Oh well, I'll still watch tonight (or at least I will now that I added a SL to the HR24 - the HR34 kept missing Thursday with an error even though it was the only recording).

9. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    It wasn't stage presence... it was her giving herself to the song.

With some of the artists this year, it all comes so naturally. Hollie is INCREDIBLY talented, but it doesn't come natural for her. She tries too hard, and it shows in her performance. She gave up control and let the song take over, and she did phenomenal with it.... something very difficult to do when you're singing an Adele song.

While I think Hollie got the respect she deserved on the first song (maybe a little too much on the second), perhaps the judges felt that she was saved last week due to being too hard on her. This week, they felt they'd go easy on her and hard on Elise... :lol:

It was indeed her strongest night, but I thought Hollie sorta won the night for her comeback with "Rolling In The Deep."

Jessica was strong as always of course... but I thought Phillip was better than usual. While I'm cheering him on, he's usually in the middle of the pack for me with performances, but he was one of my favorites last night.

I've heard better performances of the song... :(

Sadly, he probably does... :(

~Alan

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Elise with Let's Get it On was very uncomfortable trying to sell a Black-genre sex song. Seemed forced and embarrassing. Not sexy at all. She can't sell sexy. Neither the looks nor the skills. Her first tune was just ok.

Colton had a bad night. One silly screamy hard-rock tune was out his comfort zone--Adam Lambert territory. And the EW&F cover mess was unrecognizable and odd-sounding. A great song made mediocre. Meh.

Joshua started okay with "Change" but forced it way over the top at the end with shrieking and mugging. Very unnatural and desperate-sounding.

The trailer trash songs and singers are garbage. Why bother?

Phillip is just Dave Mathews trying to be Phillip. One DM is too many. And that simpy smile of his during lyrics about suffering and pain, insufferable. Dude has no clue what he's singing about.

Hollie was the big winner, along with Jessica who always kills it and is clearly a monster diva who destroys all comers. But America hates her!:lol:

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's scarey how much I'm agreeing with Maruuk this year. :lol:

12. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    To each their own...

She certainly had my attention... :eek2:

~Alan

13. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    The first step is admitting you have a problem! ;) :p :D

~Alan

14. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Seriously? Body of a truck driver after too much truck stop food, a face like Howdy Doody. Yikes. I mean, Howdy was kinda cute, but...

I'm sure Elise is a really nice person. But trying to seduce us like some kind of hot vamp last night? I'd be more receptive to Stevie Nicks. Wait, no I wouldn't. Maybe Jimmy...at least he cuts down on the Krispy Kremes.

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Tongiht's results could be interesting based on last night's performances.

We'll see how "loyalty" holds up for some...

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Can't believe Elise made it.

17. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Alan on speedial!

18. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I find that very offensive.

I never said she was a super-model, but I still find her attractive.

To each their own...

I voted for Jessica, Joshua and Phillip last night.

As much as I like Elise (last night notwithstanding), and enjoyed Hollie and Skylar last night, I wanted to give more attention to the people I want in the Top 3.

~Alan

19. MrDad0330

MrDad0330 Godfather

Jun 16, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    Whew...close call for Holly. Id like to see her hang in there a few more weeks

20. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Hey, SHE'S the one who put herself out there as a "Do Me Now" sex object last night. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry can pull that off. Others should show a little taste and discretion given what nature provided them. Or be open to fair scrutiny.