1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol (Top 9) 4/6/2011

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Apr 6, 2011.

Who are your favorites?

1. Jacob Lusk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Haley Reinhart

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. Casey Abrams

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. Lauren Alaina

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. James Durbin

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Scotty McCreery

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  7. Pia Toscano

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. Stefano Langone

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  9. Paul McDonald

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Apr 6, 2011 #1 of 108
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Down to single digits .. What's in store this week?

2. Apr 6, 2011 #2 of 108
    peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    Oops, forgot to post on the new thread.

Well, maybe Paul's vocal nodes are a non-factor after all, if they even exist. I doubt that Jimmy I. would encourage him to push so hard, as with tonight's performance, if there were any throat problems to worry about. And Paul's voice did sound stronger. I'm certainly no longer thinking that he might drop out after tonight. Wasn't crazy about the approach to his song though. Seemed very manic and rushed.

Thought the show was good but not great overall. Just about all of it was solid and stylish, but nothing rose above and beyond, at least for me.

Guess I'd give best in show to James Durbin and Pia Toscano, both of whom keep delivering the goods week after week. I liked the inner passion and musicality of James' performance, and the new, outer passion coming from Pia. Both ramping it up for the home stretch.

Nothing else struck me as too memorable. Maybe I'll give them all another listen tomorrow to see if something stands out on a re-hearing. I know that the show was hyped all through as being spectacularly special. Just wasn't feeling it for the most part.

3. Apr 7, 2011 #3 of 108
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    For all the relative professionalism and quality of the performances this season, it's lacking one thing: EXCITEMENT.

It's like moving from one Vegas nightclub to the next. Good, professional performances of cover songs by pros. Bar after bar after bar. So what?

Idol used to provide the UN-expected, the UN-professional, the UN-real awesome over-the-top pulled-it-out-of-their-butt show-stopping heartfelt monster performance. You never knew what to expect.

This season, I know not only what to expect, I know exactly what I'm gonna get out of each and every one of these slick little pros.

If I wanted to watch Glee, I'd change the channel.

4. Apr 7, 2011 #4 of 108
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I thought everyone was OK, no one memorable.

Highlight of the night for me was the bass/uke/vocals arrangement of "Who will stop the rain". I thought it was a refreshing cover of a great old song.

I also thought Scotty exceeded expectations last night. There were a few moments when I closed my eyes and thought I was listening to Elvis. Just a few, tho. :)

Because no one really blew up, it's difficult to pick a bottom three based on last night's performances, but if someone put a gun to my head, I would say Paul, Jacob and Haley.

In Hayley's case, the comparison to Janis was more promising than the reality, at least to my ears. For those old enough to remember the Bentsen/Quayle debate, I was reminded of this. :)

And not a single person on the show gave Carole King credit for Natural Woman! What's up with that????? I hope they rectify it tonight.

5. Apr 7, 2011 #5 of 108
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    For me, Stefano and and Paul fell below the bar tonight. Jacob hurt himself in my opinion by asking America to look at itself in the mirror (with respect to him personally). He should have let the song do the talking or said "This song really means a lot to me." I understand what he was trying to say, but actually saying it did himself a disservice.

I really thought James was the best performer last night. Jimmy and Will I Am said "Don't do it." and (using a Randyism) he blew it out of the park. It was (as James put it) the right song at the right time. He could go all of the way now.

The person I still think that is going to win it is Scotty. He brought a bit of cheese to the performance, but we've gotta remember he's 17. It'd look kinda weird if he came out and tried the sex appeal angle of Elvis (well early Elvis anyway). Let's face it, it's Elvis and done right .. it requires a little cheese these days. Maybe I'm not hearing things right, but I thought he absolutely had the best tone of anyone last night. I was amazed at how he was almost running around on the stage and still nailed all of the notes. His only mess up in that respect was when he pulled the mic away from his mouth and it became harder to hear, but that was really just 1 or 2 seconds of the entire performance.

Bottom 3: Stefano, Paul, Jacob

6. Apr 7, 2011 #6 of 108
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd have to agree.

All the remaining folks are stepping it up, but there are 3 clear leaders now for several weeks (Pia, Lauren, James), with Scotty pushing in and out of the final 3 group.

7. Apr 7, 2011 #7 of 108
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Last night's "Dial Idol" results agree with you.

8. Apr 7, 2011 #8 of 108
    Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I seriously don't understand what anyone sees in Pia, other than maybe the way she looks.

Bottom 3 - Jacob, Pia, Stefano

Anyone of them going would be fine with me, none of them should have even made it this far.

9. Apr 7, 2011 #9 of 108
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Based on the 30 years of music background in our household...we have 3 votes for the best voice in the entire group... ;)

If American Idol is a singing competition...than things become quite clear in a hurry...

10. Apr 7, 2011 #10 of 108
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I looked at the (dialidol) results and the only two that I would swap are Haley & Casey ..

11. Apr 7, 2011 #11 of 108
    peak_reception

peak_reception Icon

Feb 10, 2008
    I agree. Didn't think that Lauren did great last night, but overall she qualifies for the top three in my book.

12. Apr 7, 2011 #12 of 108
    Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    I also agree with the above statements. I am still not swayed that Scotty will win, but we are in agreement of who is probably on the bottom.

13. Apr 7, 2011 #13 of 108
    machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    That was the worst Folsom Prison Blues arrangement I've ever heard.

14. Apr 7, 2011 #14 of 108
    Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    The show is called "Idol", not "Diva". The world has a ton of MOR/crooner Sissels and Celines. It needs more true superstar pop icons who deserve their status. Prince, James Taylor, Sheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt. Unique talents worthy of pop music success. Nobody this year comes even close to that standard. Daughtry, Taylor Hicks, David Cook, etc etc. Gimme a break. This year same old same old.

The show is skewed to produce Mediocrity, not Idolatry.

The show is perfectly capable of popping out more blow-dried female country-popcorn "products". But that would be coals to Newcastle. The twang, the lifestyle, the updated countrified version of the Lennon Sisters: safe as milk and just as exciting. Zero content. Taylor Swift from Pennsylvania is on the label's conveyor belt going though her Southern-fried conversion as we speak to make her palatable to rednecks. Twang twang. Carrie Underwood is already one too many.

We don't even get Adam Lamberts anymore.

15. Apr 7, 2011 #15 of 108
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Jacob: Best performance of the night.

Haley: Disappointing. Maybe it's my dislike of Joplin. Bottom three, I fear.

Casey: He did good. Voice and facials were a bit more controlled. CCR would approve.

Lauren: Good performance.

James: Proved to me that only yelling is the way to dupe voters. Didn't like it, but the voting female teenyboppers will.

Scotty: OK. Could have picked a better song.

Pia: Second-best of the night after Jacob.

Stefano: Bottom three, I hope.

Paul: Good voice, bad song choice. Bottom three, but I hope I'm wrong.

16. Apr 7, 2011 #16 of 108
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Wanted to make multiple comments regarding posts in last week's thread, but work schedule didn't allow me enough time to do so...

Here are my thoughts on this week:

JACOB: Though MJ's version was far superior, this was one of Jacob's better performances in my mind... and was a better song choice than "Let's Get It On" for him... which sounded horrible... seriously horrible... I think I would have cried during the performance had he sung it, and I don't mean that as a compliment. HOWEVER, he may be in trouble after his comments he made. Stupid, Jacob, stupid!

HALEY: I've been saying for weeks that Haley needed to do "Piece Of My Heart." Though I prefer Faith Hill's cover over Janis' grittier original, I felt that Haley could bring some of the grit without going over the top (like Janis, IMHO). What I ended up with was a mixed bag. Vocally, I thought it was very good, but as I saw someone else state, I think it lacked some of the emotions that Janis put into it. Overall, I thought it was good, but it could have been great...

CASEY: For the second week in a row, I think Casey has been terrific... this week was even better than last week. His 150% is working...

LAUREN: Vocally, it was terrific... emotionally, it could have been better. I'm not one of those people that believe you have to live through something in order to project emotion (either via song or acting), but I think in this particular case, her age was probably a handicap, and this was a stupid song choice. Great vocals, but compared to the emotion of Carole, Aretha, and former contestants on the show, it wasn't spectacular...

JAMES: AWESOME!! Best of the night... FANTASTIC!! Nothing more to say...

SCOTTY: I don't like Scotty... most weeks he comes off as a "lounge singer lothario." I liked this performance! Will I remember it a year from now, probably not, but I thought he did great (for him). I have nothing against Country music, a lot of my music collection IS Country, BUT I really feel that (with the exception of Josh Turner songs) Scotty does better outside of the Country genre... in it, "lounge singer lothario."

PIA: Another FANTASTIC performance... as I've said a million times, the girl can sing anything. :)

STEFANO: Sigh... I like Stefano, but if Paul or Jacob (due to his comments) doesn't get sent home this week, Stefano will. Vocally, there was a couple of rough spots, but mainly it was his lack of emotion with the song. Though Lauren can be be given something of a pass because of her age, Stefano really doesn't have an excuse. I was disappointed...

PAUL: Prior to Scotty taking the stage, I was saying "Please don't let Scotty do Johnny Cash"... though I guess I should have been saying the same about Paul. As I stated above, I like Country music... traditional and contemporary, and Johnny Cash is probably my favorite traditional artist, and while I felt Scotty would screw it up, I felt that Paul MIGHT be able to do a halfway decent job... until I heard it. Performance wise, it was GREAT, but vocally and emotionally, it was HORRIBLE!! When Johnny sang the song, you could hear the emotion... you'd feel a sliver of sympathy for the character, even though he killed a man in Reno just to watch him die. When the character said he hangs his head and cries, you felt it. With Paul, well, I got none of that.

Who's going home? My money's on either Stefano, Jacob, or Paul...

~Alan

17. Apr 7, 2011 #17 of 108
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yep! He ticked off a couple of people I know with that comment. I think Jacob's a nice guy, and I'm the last person that should be criticizing someone for using the wrong words, but I'm not on a show where my longevity is reliant upon the American people voting for me...

Once more, we're in agreement here as well. I think Jimmy has given out some great advice this season, and I think will.i.am gave out several pieces of good advice last night, but I think they gave James some really bad advice last night, and I'm so glad he knew better...

Yep... I still think Pia and James in the finale... Lauren in the Top 3, and as much as I hate to say it, I think Scotty may indeed be in the Top 4. :(

~Alan

18. Apr 7, 2011 #18 of 108
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Pia is gorgeous, but this is a singing competition, and that's what I see in her (as well as everybody I know who thinks she's great).

I look at her looks as more of a bonus, while my ears are listening to her sing, my eyes can watch her sing! ;) :D

Bottom 3 - Jacob, Pia, Stefano

Scotty and Paul should not have made it this far... Stefano could go either way, and my personal lack of interest in MOST of Jacob's songs notwithstanding, I can understand why he's still here.

Pia however DEFINITELY deserves to have made it this far, and if she's not in the finale, it's not because she didn't deserve to be there...

~Alan

19. Apr 7, 2011 #19 of 108
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    The GOAL of the show is to produce artists that sell records... so I don't think Idol wants another Taylor Hicks or David Cook... ;)

Though I'm not a Emmylou fan, I like the rest of the artists you named, but then I also like Celine Dion. Daughtry is great, and David Cook was great on Idol, but has failed to achieve the same success post-Idol.

Taylor Hicks has had a few good songs over the years, but him winning "Idol" was a joke that has hurt Idol's credibility over the years...

I don't care for the Lennon Sisters, but I do love the amazingly talented Carrie Underwood, and enjoy Taylor Swift's music.

It's also important to note that Carrie Underwood is, if not Idol's best selling artist, then one of them...

That being said... everytime I read one of your posts, I have to wonder why you even watch the show... :confused:

~Alan

20. Apr 7, 2011 #20 of 108
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    David Cook has sold the 7th highest number of albums of all American Idol contestants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol_alumni_album_sales