1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol (Top 9)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, Mar 31, 2009.

Who are your favorites?

1. Adam Lambert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Allison Iraheta

36 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. Anoop Desai

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  4. Danny Gokey

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Kris Allen

42 vote(s)
    60.9%
  6. Lil Rounds

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  7. Matt Giraud

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Megan Joy

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  9. Scott MacIntyre

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It's time again ... Hopefully your favorite will sing well tonight.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    It's a 2 man race now....Danny and Adam.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Can someone post the call and test info for Matt please?

4. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Adam, Allison, Kris, and Danny were head and shoulders above the rest. Megan goes home.

5. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Have to agree Megan goes home.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #6 of 90
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Adam, Danny, and Kris at the top of the heap this week.

Allison was good, but a step behind those three, IMO.

Next grouping for me was Matt Giraud and Scott. I like both of them, they were alright, but not great.

Anoop was a total train wreck - I couldn't even watch him. Thank God for FF!

Megan is in trouble. I like her, but her song choice is poor. She's yet to pick a song that shows anything. She's got a cool sound - I really like her sound, her quirky style. But she hasn't "brought it", and I won't be surprised to see her go.

Surprise of the night, for me... Lil would be in my bottom 3. I don't think there's any real danger of her going home tomorrow, BUT, if she doesn't step it up soon, she's going to meet an early demise. Another mediocre performance. And for the love of pete, PLEASE, fire whoever is giving you styling tips. She looks so cute & fun in her intro videos, and then she comes out looking like a circus clown. I think she's looked ridiculous every week, and she's going to be in trouble soon if she doesn't kick it up a notch, Emeril style. BAM!

7. Apr 1, 2009 #7 of 90
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I like to be concise, boil the choice down to its essence.

Whose records would I spend my money on?

Right now that would be Kris.

8. Apr 1, 2009 #8 of 90
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Kris - very good
    Adam - very good
    Danny - very good
    Allison - good
    Lil - good
    Scott - good
    Matt - OK
    Megan - bad
    Anoop - bad

Anoop might have saved Megan.

9. Apr 1, 2009 #9 of 90
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My favorites tonight were Adam, Kris, Danny and Scott (in that order) ...

Allison, sorry I don't like it and I know why I don't like it now, too. Finish the words. Every other word is only about half as long as it should be.

As for the bottom three .. Megan, Matt and Lil but it doesn't really matter as Megan was downright bad tonight. Everyone else was at least respectable and some were downright great!

10. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I liked Anoop .. Now, the dancing and "the look" were bad, but singing I thought he was spot on. Interesting that folks think he is completely bad.

11. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Really Doug? I think Simon hit it right on the head. He looked like a wannabe.. Sorry but that guy does not have attitude and to try to act like he does just looks silly. As for his singing.... Sorry.. Not my cup of tea.

Top 4 for me is Kris, Adam, Danny and Lil. I think Allison took a step down. Found the transition from slow to fast awkward and I think she was off on the fast part. Great start.. but weak ending. In terms of voices.. Top two in my books.. Adam and Kris by a comfortable margin and they both showed it tonight.

I think they were a bit harsh on Lil and Matt this week as I thought both put out solid performances. Not at the level of Kris, Adam, and Danny.

Scott.. Sorry.. Just don't like his voice and to me it just sounded like bad Billy Joel impression.

Megan was unique week one.. Now it just sounds the same..

Personally I don't care if it is Megan, Anoop or Scott. The rest I want to see more of.

Oh.. I wanted to vomit when they get showing those three girls when danny was singing.. UGH!!!

12. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    So, nobody else found the "genius" Adam's performance to be (to borrow a Simonism) "indulgent"?
    I don't see the range that he supposedly posesses, all I see is a stage actor playing a part and screeching the notes he can't sing like the hair-band frontmen from the 80s.

13. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I agree that Anoop or Megan are going home. I really can't stand listening to Megan. Her voice has a quality that is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. Her vibrato is totally uncontrolled and when it kicks in she is all over the place pitch wise. She always sounds like she's using an auto tuner even though she probably isn't. Horrendous.

The music mix for Anoop tonight was also horrendous. It seemed like nothing but drums in the mix, with everything else (including Anoop) burried deep behind the drums. I still didn't like his performance and think he is in the bottom two. If I had to pick though, Megan would be gone, but she would have been gone weeks ago. She's not bad to look at, other than that big mess on her arm, but she really can't sing.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Megan is very likely to get a record deal because of her voice .. That being said, she is untrained and she will need some voice lessons to go to the next level. She's not there yet and if she's not the one going home tonight I'll be shocked.

15. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure of the actual octave range, but last night he went from pretty low really, really high in the same song. I don't think he was as good last night as he has been in the past. His Ring of Fire (whether you liked it or not) had the most control I think I've ever heard from an Idol contestant. The dude can cover a lot of notes with his voice.

16. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I see the range, and I like (for the most part) his take on the songs he does.

In today's cookie cutter pop culture, he's unique. Something different.

That said, yes, I think to some extent his performances are somewhat 'self indulgent'. He's walking a fine line between unique/interesting and over the top/scary.

With the exception of Ring of Fire, I think he's stayed on the right side of that line. I think he's got to be careful though, because he could easily cross that line and turn off alot of the voting public.

17. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    I liked his Ring of Fire.

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think Scott saved himself for another week, and it's possible that Anoop and Lil may join Megan to make up the bottom 3 as a result. VFTW will probably continue to stave off elimination for Megan, but in my mind she should go next.

I wasn't surprised that Danny improved over last week. Nor was I surprised that 16 year old Alison couldn't match her performance from last week. Given her lack of experience relative to Danny and Adam, I think uneven performances from her are to be expected.

I didn't think Matt's song choice was as bad as the judges thought, or that Kris was as good as the judges thought. That said, I continue to like them both.

Like his style or not, Adam has talent. I think he was the most entertaining performer of the night.

Just my .02. /steve

19. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Totally agree with Steve and Sharkie's comments.. I could not help but smile after Adams song and From what I could tell so could Simon. He is the only one so far that I would have to say commands the stage and the most controlled voice of any idol I have seen over such a wide range.

Kris I really liked.. He voice is really polished and nice to listen too. Both those guys took old songs and really but their marks on it. Personally I would give Kris the nod this week with Adam second and Danny third.

Be interesting to see where Matt falls. I liked his song and his vocals but the judges did not at all.

20. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Megan will stay. I voted 3 million times for her last night. I have a new computer system that can spoof the telephone lines on idol.

What day is today?