1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol's Adam Lambert to join Queen?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Doug Brott, May 26, 2009.

1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    San Jose Mercury
    This would be an interesting arrangement ..

2. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Chris Daughtry turned down an offer from "Fuel" to be their frontman, but I can see Adam saying yes.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Seems like a great fit! His solos in We Are The Champions the other night were a home-run, IMO.

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Hmmm. Given my comment before in the Finale thread this does not surprise me. I think he would make a good choice. I for sure would buy an album of Adam singing Queen songs with Queen. Good fit in my opinion, but I can also see Adam turning it down.

5. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Interesting. After watching him sing with Queen last week I thought the same thing. He'd be great.

6. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Some of us saw the Freddie in him a long time ago. No big surprise at all.

7. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I can see Adam as a front-man, but I have always seen him more as an independent artist. The other thing is does he really want to covers and be compared to Freddie all the time? Or does he want to do original music?

8. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think Adam needs to be in a band like Queen (or Aerosmith, or KISS) .. Queen would be an interesting choice as he could extend the life of the band as the older members bow out. No reason why there couldn't be new Queen songs.

9. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    So Queen would be the new Menudo, eh? :p

Actually, that could work quite well. Bring old fans back to hear Queen songs with a Lambert twist, and introduce new fans who followed Lambert from Idol to the Queen archive.

10. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Excellent point, Drew, but there you have it. Some things are unavoidable. I doesn't help that Adam has, by his own accord, adopted the Freddie style. You can't help but compare them.

11. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I'd never listen to him doing Queen's vocals.
    He lacks the range and richness voice that Freddie had.
    He's too shrill.

12. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Personally, I think he'd fit right in ...

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Did you not hear his solos in We Are The Champions on the final night?

14. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Totally agree.

15. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    Arnel Pineda has fit in quite nicely with Journey. Adam could do the same with Queen.

16. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I heard all I could take, then I hit the FFWD.
    Freddie's voice had way more depth and a richness to it, while Lambert sounds like something in a lot of pain.

There's a fine line in there somewhere, and I'm not even sure I can put my finger on it.
    Voices like those in Rush and Styx have never appealed to me, and I've always wondered how anyone could endure an entire concert of theirs. AC/DC is another one.

Meanwhile, voices such as those of Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury are some of the greatest in the history of rock and roll, and I could listen to them endlessly. I'm not enough of an expert to define the subtle differences there, but I know what I like, and I know that Adam Lambert is not in the same league as Freddie Mercury, at least with regards to the vocals. Otherwise, I think he think he's very much like Freddie. ;)

17. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You are right-on about how great Plant and Mercury were... Adam's performance over the season weren't all top-notch, IMO, so he's still gonna need to prove he can be as consistently good as those guys were. /steve

18. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    Well since the recording career track record for American Idol winners and runner ups is pretty dismal (with the exception of Kelly Clarkson) What does he have to lose? Seems like a good fit. He would infuse new life/energy into an old band......

19. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Carried Underwood - dismal? :nono:

20. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yup .. 5 million sold by Daughtry is a pittance :nono2: