1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

America's Got Talent 2012 thread

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by oldschoolecw, May 22, 2012.

1. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
  2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Why is the embedding not working?

Figured it out

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
  4. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
  5. Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    I feel that children should not be allowed on these type of shows and last night proved that. They are not emotionally equipped for rejection and thus it is cruel to have them subjected to rejection in front of so many people. The parents should be ashamed.

As far as the dog act, I thought it was a legitimate talent and very well done. This is indeed a talent and worthy of the show unlike the many self-mutilation acts (I am looking at you Mr. Needle through the chin and you Mr. Kick in the Package) that they have.

6. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Age limit, minimum 16 years of age

Yeah, I hate those self-mutilation acts, they are grouse and stupid

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed. The worst part about these types of acts is that this is one of the few prime time shows I can watch with my kids - and they love it. But I have to fastforward through these types of acts and sometimes I don't know when they're coming. Last night had the guy getting hit in the nuts over and over. I don't really want my 6 year old watching that, but by the time I realized what was happening it was too late.

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    What has been seen, cannot be unseen.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I wasn't sure about Howard, never listened to his radio show really, but didn't seem like my kind of thing. But he's fantastic on AGT. It is nice to have an American born judge again, though nothing against Brits or Canucks.

10. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    And this is my Stage was one very funny comment :lol: And I think it took Howie and Sharon by surprise :lol:

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Since the premise of the show is to find a new headliner for a Vegas act, how can children be in there to win? If they won the show, I don't think they can do a headliner show because of their age and headliner shows are all night shows.

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That may be the premise, but the purpose of the show is to make money. Few, if any kids' acts will be signed in Vegas. But kids' acts attract tv viewers, and the more tv viewers the show has, the more money it rakes in.

13. Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    Which tells you a lot about the Nielson rating viewers. These viewers are 18-49 year olds who cannot afford a DVR, who watch all commercials, who only go out on Fridays (day where the networks put shows to die), who watch shows according to what day they fall on, who will watch a bad show because they are too lazy to press the remote to turn the channel after a good show ends, and who enjoy watching young children be emotionally exploited infront of millions of people.

I consider myself a TV viewer between the ages of 18-49 who has two DVRs, never watches commercials, never watches a show the time it broadcasts, is not constrained on when I do my activities, tape shows on the basis if they are worth watching not because of what day or what show they follow, and hate to see small children exploited emotionally on tv for a goal they can never achieve. I.E., I could never be a Nielsen ratings viewer. :D

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    On a plus side, if a kid won, they would have a chance to live to see that last annuity payment without having to put it through their estate or take the lump sum. Forty years just seems like a long time.

Of course if someone gets a gig like Terry Fator, they really don't need that million bucks.

15. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    If a kid was going to win, it would have been Jackie Evancho and she should have won IMO:)

16. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I don't watch the show, so thanks for the heads-up.

Jackie Evancho - The Voice of an Angel
    [YOUTUBEHD]SKhmFSV-XB0[/YOUTUBEHD]

17. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    She was amazing :)

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm not sure it really mattered. She was still number one on the Billboard classical artists charts for 2011.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Too bad she didn't know that you don't roll the "r" in Maria.

20. antennas

antennas New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Really she's too good.