1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amiga Returns!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    New Amigas Coming

Amiga said this week that the first Amiga computers since the 1990s are "on their
    way". Little information was released as far as the new designs were concerned,
    other than the PCs will be based on the PowerPC architecture and two different
    machines, one selling for $500, and the other for $1,500.

Source: www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2122241,00.asp

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting. I loved my Amiga A-500. I used it from 1991 to 1997 to not only surf the net, but also create titles and 3D graphics for weddings and dance recital videos. Then I turned to the dark side (Windows). :(

I think I still have my Amiga stored somewhere around the house.

3. dj76116

dj76116 Legend

Jan 19, 2007
    I started wth the VIC-20. Hope the marketing is better. Wonder if it will run the old software. :rolleyes:

4. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I had a 500 and a 3000 and loved them both! I worked all summer one year when I was like 13 in order to get enough money to buy a brand new A500! I got the add on hard drive too - I think I got a big one, like 200 megabytes!!

I got rid of them both several years back, and once in a while I wish I still had either of them just to tinker with them...

5. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I remember pumping a bunch of money into my A-500. I got an internal accelerator card that was something like $300 and then an external 40MB hard drive for another $200. 40MB was ALOT of space back then. :)

I don't think we realize how good we have it these days. Upgrades to PC's are cheap.

6. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I loved the way they had all their chips named... I can't remember them all now, but I had the upgraded Angus chip in my A500! I think my HD cost me like $500! The computer, brand new, when I bought it, ran me somewhere around $1100, I think! At the time I bought, there was the 500 and the 1000. The 2000 was just coming out and it was hot stuff!

We actually had a commodore/Amiga computer store in our little town here! It was like heaven for a Commodore nerd! :)

7. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I've been cleaning up some VERY old paperwork, tax forms, receipts from deductable items, etc for the past couple of weeks. It really is amazing what you can find in the process of doing so. I believe that technology has gone through a few changes since November 1982. I sure am glad though that I got the "disc drive" installed before the end of the year so I could take the deduction. :lol:

Attached Files:

8. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    By the way, as a helpful shopping tip, DO NOT buy a Staples store brand paper shredder. They do not last. Buy the equal priced (or higher) Fellowes. I had two Staples shredders die in two days. I replaced the second with a Fellowes and it has been doing just fine for over a week of fairly heavy duty work.

9. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Here's another one...

Attached Files:

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'v had good luck in the past with Fellowes shredders. My current shredder is an OfficeMax 8 or 10 sheet diamond cut shredder that has slots for credit cards and CD's. So far, it's been very servicible.

Re: Amiga -- The chipset for the Amiga was developed by Atari engineers. The suits at Warner Brothers, who had purchased Atari, didn't see the potential of the Amiga and sold it all to Commodore, bringing Atari as a computer maker closer to its demise.

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I had an A2000 with then then-revolutionary SCSI *harcard* - a *44MB* (!!!) hard drive partitioned into two 22MB sections. I *loved* that machine. Had the desktop metaphor like the Mac and a good CLI like VMS, color graphics and stereo sound right out of the box, no need for a "Hercules" card...

12. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Wasn't the Amiga processor the Motorolla 68000 series? If they are returning with a power PC, it looks like MAC before the Intel switch. Problem is, I doubt anyone buying a present day Amiga will be able to use it with older Amiga software like the Video Toaster by Newtek and Lightwave. But anyone who is looking to do this is probably nuts anyway. So what else was Amiga known for? Games! Let's see how the Amiga fairs with the XBOX 360 and PS3? The Amiga had its day and that day is long gone. I'm about as excited about this is if there was an annoucement that Radio Shack was bringing back the TRS 80. :D

13. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Yes, it was the 68000 processor. I remember installing an upgrade board into my Amiga 500 with a 68030.

14. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I wonder if these machines will have any real connection or similarity to the old Amiga line sold by Commodore or whether they are just using a brand name that the marketer has the rights to.

Having said all that I thought that they were way cool for their time. I just don't know if this means anything.