1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An always silent DVR screen?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wingtoc, Jul 24, 2010.

1. wingtoc

wingtoc Cool Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Is there a DVR screen I can bring up that is 1) always silent, and 2) easy to get to without seeing the tv screen? I'd need to be able get to the silent screen before the tv is turned on because ...

Our TV won't allow itself to be muted, or its volume to be turned down, until 5-10 seconds after it is on. Meanwhile we're stuck for those 5-10 seconds with full blast volume (at whatever level it was turned off at) until the tv lets us mute it or turn it down.

With Tivo we could press a button to go to the Tivo main menu, which was silent, just before turning on the tv, and we could turn down the volume during the silence of the menu screen.

(I know we could reduce the volume before turning the tv off, so I'm not really looking for that solution.)

Thanks for the help.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Press pause.

3. TheDurk

TheDurk Legend

Mar 8, 2007
    Yep. Just remember to check that blue ring is not blinking, or you could UNPAUSE a paused show. I do this to avoid hearing the score of a baseball game when I am tuning in late.(Yankees games are wishlist recorded).

4. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Power off the DVR then turn it on last.

5. wingtoc

wingtoc Cool Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Yes! Pressing pause will work perfectly. Thanks a lot everybody.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

7. wingtoc

wingtoc Cool Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Thanks. This place kicks buttocks.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    If you're using a universal remote, you could also program it to mute the TV before turning it off, so that it would be muted when you turned it back on.

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I've never owned a TV that would "remember" it had been muted prior to being turned off, so depending on the TV involved, this trick might not work.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Many modern televisions have a default volume setting that can be adjusted as needed (including setting to silent). This allows the volume to be set to a particular value each and every time the TV is fired up. I have my main TV set to come up at a volume setting of zero as I don't normally use the TV sound system.

Another option is to wait to turn on the receiver until after the TV has been adjusted.

11. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    My HDTV comes up at the last set volume level, but does not remember being muted. So, if one turned the volume down to "1", that would accomplish the same thing. Good suggestion!

(I don't need it here, because I never use the TV volume, having a home theater amp) Even when using the Samsung built-in Netflix, I use the optical out to the HT, as no TV has sound that I can live with.

Given you can get a cheap optical in HT setup for under a $100 that will vastly outperform any TVs built in speaker setup, I don't know why anyone (who doesn't have space considerations), would tolerate non-DD 5.1 poor audio performance that it typical of most TVs.

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got a 50" Panny plasma in the master bedroom and it's sound quality is passable. Certainly not equal to an A/V system (which I'm not allowed to put in the room, long story), but better than I thought it would be.

Rich

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Because so far TV audio quality has not mattered to me as long as I can hear it and dialog is understandable.

I did say, "so far.":)

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yep, different strokes for different folks, to be sure.:)

To me, one of the most enjoyable things about TV is the sound quality, specifically dolby digital. For others, it may have no value whatsoever.

It is, however, important to the creators of the programming, as many, if not most take advantage of the both the dynamic range and increased channel separation of Dolby Digital.

15. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Our reasoning behind not using 5.1 for our tv viewing is simple, we have a small child who sleeps during prime time viewing and 5.1, even in night mode, is enough to keep him awake. Do we like two channel tv audio? No, we would rather use the HT setup we have but we have to consider our little one before tv viewing.

16. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That's the best reason I've ever seen for not having a HT on a sat system!

17. NaperDan

NaperDan Legend

Jun 8, 2009
    Check your TV's audio settings. Many reputable, mainstream TV manufacturers include a volume setting for when it's turned on. Also bear in mind that your DVR is up and running as soon as the blue circle stops spinning (assuming you don't have yours turned off)...which is usually way before modern TVs are ready to send audio to their internal speakers. Also try just switching it to a non-audio channel before you turn it off, or right after you turn it on. But I think your best option is the TV audio.

Can you not just turn the volume down to zero before you power it off?

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, I only have 5.1 (or 7.1) on 2 of our 7 displays.

don't need speakers in the bedroom.
    don't need speakers on my 19" display in my home office
    The kids don't need speakers in their play room to watch Dora.
    We don't need speakers in the guest room
    We don't need speakers in the loft (computer area) on that 20" display.

19. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I should have said "main sat system". No need for HT elsewhere, as you noted.:)