1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An appeal to Dish Network support staff

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jorhett, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jorhett

jorhett Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    I am very happy with my dish DVRs. Even though you don't have as good of an interface as TiVo, it's enough to keep my happy.

I have always been happy with the quality of signal I receive.

I have always been happy with the channel packages.

I have always been happy... lots of things. Really.

It really seems that you have everything going good for you as a company. So why are you so intend on treating your customers badly? Why do you go out of your way to insult me as a customer?

You had a software problem that affected DVR recording. Gotcha. I'm a software developer, I understand bugs. So I gather lots of information and call you with all the details. What do you tell me?

1. There's no known fix (true) and no workaround (untrue)

2. There's no way you could have communicated with me about the problem (untrue)

3. You will not communicate with me about when a fix will be available (disrespectful)

4. There's no way to revert me receiver to a previous version (untrue)

5. There's no way to target a version to a specific customer (untrue)

I went through 3 levels of escalation, and I received the same bull and hock all the way through to your supposed executive response.

Dish: I'm a tech junkie. I can build a linux box and get MythTV working in less than 2 hours. I've done it for friends. So why do I pay you? For convenience. For the "toaster effect" <- it just works.

But when it doesn't work, and you lie repeatedly to me, you make me question what value you are providing me.

1 Response: Please tell customers about workarounds. Don't tell them there is no workaround, when it's both well known and confirmed.

2 Response: Please don't tell me that you have no way of communicating with me, when I received several e-mails every week from you targeted to my viewing preferences and my current equipment. Clearly, you had a way to warn me that hundreds of people were having problems with timers, and what the workaround was.

3 Response: Telling me that you refused to communicate with me about the problem in any form whatsoever, just tells me as a customer that you don't give a damn about me. A page on your website. An e-mail list. SOMETHING that tells me you take the problems seriously. Absolute, outright refusal to communicate about such a major problem has cost you a class action lawsuit before. And so little would make people feel happy with you. Don't dismiss your customers.

4 & 5 Response: And please don't lie to me about your functionality. Not when I've been a beta tester for you before, and when you've run my receiver both forwards and backwards in software revisions in the past. It's very disrespectful.

So I'm upgrading my current 501 and 510 receivers (both) to something that supports HD. But I can assure you that unless Dish finds some way to demonstrate that they care about me as a customer, it won't include any Dish Network products in the equation. After spending a few too many hours on the phone with your CSRs telling me just how little they care about me, I have absolute no incentive to provide Dish with any of my dollars.

Why should I, when you go out of your way to tell me repeatedly how little respect you have for me as a customer?

2. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    Very nice first post. One of the best first posts I've seen. Welcome.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
  4. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Yeah, I love 1:13 AM posts. They're always so, er, ah, "insightful." :rolleyes:

5. William

William Legend

Oct 28, 2006
    Looks like 10:13 to me. :D

6. DougRuss

DougRuss Legend

Oct 16, 2005
    Time Zones !:)

7. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    at 12:13 AM for me.. :D

8. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    Who cares what time it was posted? Actually, posts made at 44 minutes after the hour are always the dumbest...at least they are in this thread.

9. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Phew.... Must be my day today! (maybe i should go buy 6/49) :D

Mine was .. 46 minutes after the hour.. - Chad took it easy on me for a change ;)

10. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    No need to worry Darkman...at least not today. ;)

11. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    lol.....I hear you, but telling the "truth" will only make the customer mad. The reality is a large company is NOT going to revert a software problem for one customer or a small group of customers. You can't run a business that way unless you can get customers to pay extra for the support - there's too much support involved to answer everyones quuestions in the manner that you want.

It's kind of like any other programming problem, yes it can be fixed but there's a cost - who is going to pay it and is the current moddel working for most people. This is no different then other companies with similar products.

The products offered by Tivo and Direct also have issues. I agree Tivo is bullet proof, but there are several things about it that drive me nuts when I use it and I prefer my 508 and 721 by far (no contest).

When you go to another provider, you WILL find a similar experience and perhaps worse if they are a large company. Is it right, I don't know, but that's the reality that keeps the prices down for the average consumer.

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh, don't misunderstand. I can full see that a 1:13 AM post would present you a challenge. lol :rolleyes:

13. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Again.. it was NOT 1:13 AM for everyone..

For me (for example) it was 12:13 AM... BUT, actually it all depends on one's Forum Time zone setting, lol ;)

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    :backtotop

15. chaddux

chaddux Banned User

Oct 10, 2004
    So, back to the topic. Jorhett, you made an excellent first post although finniganps did make some good points. My experiences with Cox Communications were infinitely worse than anything DISH has ever done. I had more outages with cable than I have had with DISH.

16. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    Don't think his point is about comparing Dish's service to another company.

It seems to be about Dish lying to customers.

I'm confident that if I have a problem with Dish equipment, I'll find whatever solution is avaliable here.

Calling Dish just wastes my time.

As far as I'm concerned, Dish could have re-loaded 298 when it was obvious 411 created mal-functions. Instead, they chose to make us suffer through 411.

I've started exploring if I can gain more control over my 522; more control means less reliance on Dish.

Bob

17. Zero327

Zero327 Godfather

Oct 10, 2006
    CSRs don't know software can be rolled back, so the information was correct...

Obi-Wan Kenobi: "From a certain point of view."

18. jorhett

jorhett Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    I totally agree with both of these statements. My day job is writing interfaces that people depend on for e-commerce, so I know bugs. I know release schedules, and I know customer service. And yeah, your points are valid.

The problem was never "you need to do something personal for me" so much as "don't ignore that I as a paying customer am upset"

(my post gets a little abstract from here -- "you" will not be either me or you...)

When a person reports a problem that is very negatively affecting them (I just lost an episode in an important arc in the show, and now I can't watch the remainder of the season) it is natural for the person to ask two questions:

1. Why didn't you warn us so I could take steps to ensure?

2. Where is a workaround/fix?

When the person is told that hundreds of other people are experiencing the problem, but that no fix is currently known, that no date is scheduled for a fix, and that they don't even know if there will be a fix ... the customer starts to feel ignored.

When the customer is lied to about Dish's ability to communicate about the problem (I get e-mail targeted to my player every week) and Dish's ability to do something about the problem (software loads are totally possible) then the customer goes from feeling ignored to feeling disrespected.

And the customer gets angry.

Seriously, Dish!

1. Acknowledge that the customer is upset.
    2. Tell the customer that the problem matters to you == customer matters to you.
    3. Provide some... ANY statement about what you are doing to resolve it.

These are the very basics, the minimal essentials of customer service. When you can't be bothered to do this, you really are crying out that you don't care how the customer feels.

It's very basic. You have a choice. Help the customer calm down and feel appreciated. Or make them angry by disrespecting them. Because trust me when I say that a little anger goes a long way to having an unhappy customer.

19. jorhett

jorhett Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    I didn't expect the first level support person to know how or have the ability to do this. But I went through three levels of management, and I was assured in deep serious tones by a "very senior manager" that Dish Network doesn't have this ability, and has never had this ability.

I ended up losing my temper, and describing (fairly calmly) the exact layout of software screen used to control software assignments. I described very calmly the number of versions of code that were pushed out and reverted back to my 501 receiver back in the day, and the level of assistance I had provided to Dish Network for free, on my own time, to help Dish debug their own software because they as a multi-billion dollar company couldn't be bothered to do their own QA work.

And then I asked the guy exactly why on earth he would lie to me about something this basic. I asked him to explain to me very clearly what he was trying to tell me as a customer by lying to me, and I asked him exactly how he felt about going out of his way to piss off customers and make them go away.

He knew he was lying. He pretty much said so. But after admitting it, he would follow it up with a stock, canned statement that he clearly had been told to say.

So no, this isn't about a CSR saying what they know. It's about Dish Network's apparent policy decision to train their management to lie to their customers about functionality which they very clearly have.

20. jorhett

jorhett Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    Go back, and read the top of my post. :) I loved Dish. I'll skip bashing Comcast out here, it's too easy. I'll stick to positive statements. Nothing I am saying below about Dish Network is true of Comcast. None of it.

I love Dish Network channel options (beats both Cable and DirecTV)

I love Dish Network quality (cable's in the stone age by comparison)

I love Dish Network installers. These guys and gals (I've had both) have ALWAYS been some of the most courteous, friendly, and helpful people I have ever worked with.

I love the Dish Network website. Well, actually I *like* it. I work on websites for a living and they could provide a lot more functionality there than they do. But it does allow me to help myself in fairly important ways.

On the few times that I've had to call Dish about programming or billing problems, I have been ecstatically happy with the ability and training of the CSR staff.

In the past, when it was easy to get passed to an engineer/3rd level tech/whatever and those people were honest about known bugs, and good about communicating how important it was to get those problems fixed, I was very happy with Dish. Yes, even when I missed shows, lost saved programs, etc. Because they said they cared, and because they acted like they cared (they told me about fixes in beta, they pushed betas to me on request, and they even called me back to confirm that my problem was fixed)

So yeah, perhaps Dish can't currently provide the great level of customer service I experienced in the past. But for them to completely turn around and start lying to me, and telling me in all sorts of direct ways that they don't care about me ... wow. They're just telling me to go away. So I probably will.

Even though I don't think any of the other providers give me the same value, I simply can't stay with a provider tells me in no uncertain terms that my satisfaction with their business is ... irrelevant at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.