1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

An 'internet middleman' calls out six ISPs for letting connections slow down

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, May 6, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    An 'internet middleman' calls out six ISPs for letting connections slow down

Level 3 VP Mark Taylor's "Observations of an Internet Middleman" shows what it looks like from his end of the network cable while being squeezed out by ISPs seeking the direct connection deals Netflix has signed with Comcast and Verizon. Without naming the ISPs in question -- Level 3 waged a war with Comcast over Netflix traffic in 2010 before cutting a direct connection deal of its own last year -- he points out that among the company's many connected network peers, only a dozen are suffering congestion. While half of those are in the process of being upgraded, the other six are regularly overloaded, dropping packets and delaying traffic....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Engadget

2. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I thought for sure it was cableone slowing everyone down. 55 bucks a month for 200-300 KB speeds (.2-.3 meg) download speed between 5PM-1AM if you're not using netflix. Netflix has a head end server and gets all the proprietary bandwidth. Everyone not stuck with cableone is so lucky but I guess when you live in the sticks you take whats available. Rumor has it fiber is only 50 miles away but that's another issue dealing with the politics to get it.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Is ATT U-verse an option for you? I live in the sticks, also, but have good, but slow (2.8 Megs), downloads via U-verse, which looks and feels like good old ADSL.....

4. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Unfortunately not. The only other options would be satellite that I hear horror stories about and cellular 4G that is also chocked because of the lack of fiber on the Verizon and T-Mobile towers in the area. Verizon has tower hopped 4G into the area but it's also very strangled in the evenings. Works great at 3AM, I can get 15 Meg speeds but in the evening its just like Cableone.