1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog and Digital A/V switch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by puckwithahalo, Dec 16, 2009.

1. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    I'm looking for a switch that will accept both analog (specifically rca) and digital (optical) audio inputs, but will output both over optical. I've found several that will accept both types of inputs, but will only output analog over an analog connection and digital over digital. IE, it has two outputs. If the source you select is analog, it only outputs over the analog output, and if the source is digital, it only outputs over the digital output.

Anyone know if such a beast exists? I haven't had any luck finding one. I have found analog to digital converters, but I'd really rather have one unit that accepts both and outputs both over the digital connection.

Thanks in advance.

PS, a purely audio switch is fine for my situation, though one that did audio and video would work too.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I don't believe I've ever seen what you're asking for outside of an A/V receiver...

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
  4. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Ah well. I'll just have to use an rca-to-optical converter, an analog switch, and an optical switch. The reason I have to do this is I have a surround sound system that the left audio on all of the analog inputs has gone out. Optical input and the built-in dvd player get sound just fine. Soooo....

4-way analog switch with analog components connected to it, an rca-to-optical converter connected to the output on that, and optical from that and my devices with optical outputs to an optical switch. And finally optical from that to the optical input on the sound system. Ah well, I was hoping to make it easier for non-techy friends to figure out, but it'll do the trick :D