1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And everybody has been complaining about E*

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bavaria72, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Ya know, I have been reading about how bad E* sucks for the last 18 months and how D* has their act soooo together. Well boys and girls, have you gone and look at the D* forums lately? Since D* has decided (like E* did years ago) to field their own DVR, things are not quite as smooth as they had hoped. Yes Tivo is has it's advantages but I sure in the heck would not want to the monthly fee for a recording hard drive. Interesting that Murdock has decided to follow Charlie. Maybe that guy was not so stupid as has many had proclaimed him.....

2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I've noticed this. Quite frankly, I think one can sum it up simply. Dish and DirecTV/NewsCorp are satellite programming providers. They are NOT software development houses. TiVo and Replay were software developers first.

3. Milk_tec

Milk_tec Legend

Dec 5, 2005
    Sunday Ticket gives D* the advantage...at least for me.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The R15 is brand new. E* has had months even years to fix many of their recievers/DVRs, and apparently havent seem to fix one fully yet....

5. A_Pac

A_Pac Cool Member

Nov 2, 2003
  6. mya23rd

mya23rd Legend

Dec 10, 2005
    Of course there are gonna be people complaining about DirecTV. Frankly, I was a DTV customer many years ago until I had to switch to cable, then about a year ago I went back to DTV. I have noticed a drop off in their customer service and service in general. There are many reasons but I think one main reason is that DTV is much bigger today than it used to be and its difficult to maintain quality service. But I also had Dish Network and I have to say hands down that DirecTV is the better service. I think DirecTV is a varsity operation and Dish is not there yet. In general their programming is very similar, but it’s the little things that make the difference. DTV has much better receivers in my opinion especially in terms of interface. The program guide, menus, and general look and feel is much more aesthetically pleasing. It just looks nicer. Dish’s interface looks like its been designed by an industrial engineer. They put absolutely no effort into interface design. Their stuff looks so technical and un-user friendly. The same goes for the Dish remote controls, the appearance of their PPV and other on screen offerings. It just doesn’t look that good. You may think I am putting to much emphasis on these things but it matters to me and to a lot of other people. I had DTV first so I got used to their nice look and feel whch I think is why Dish was very unappealing to me.

It really sucks that DTV has dropped Tivo, but they are not copying Dish, it just makes sense because they want to have total control of the platform. With Tivo they were just reselling the Tivo brand and functions in their own receivers. But as more and more people get DVR’s, their functions will get more advanced and they will be used much more than for just recording shows and pausing live TV. DTV is trying to take control of what it offers customers and better be able to customize its offerings and roll out new functions and features. I think one downside is that there will be much more advertising built into the DVR with ads popping up all over the place and the device will be used to sell us more stuff. Murdoch has always been big on overloading on the advertising and bombarding you whether its with newspapers or TV and I think that is the plan for the DVR in the years to come.

7. TomH

TomH Legend

Jun 11, 2005
    They've done fine with the ones I've gotten. Never had a problem in about 5 years with my 501 and six months with the 522.

8. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Rupert should have bought Tivo and made them their software platform. Now Directv will have to follow the path that Dish has been following since 99. They will have to do trial and error software to make their receivers do as well as Tivo already does. They will find out how well their software engineers are doing based on the amount of subs they keep or loose next year.

On the other side Dish has finally created a good software program with their 942s. Yes , it could be better as there is always room for improvement, but in my opinion it is the best damn receiver Dish has ever made.

9. cohagen

cohagen Mentor

Oct 26, 2005
    I've never used or seen DirectTV or their DVR software. But I recently signed up with Dish for the first time 6 months ago with the 942 receiver. I am a software engineer and I find the 942 software to be really incredible. The guide, functions, remote, pausing, fast forward, etc all work flawlessly.

Does DirectTV really have a better piece of software in their top end HD DVR?

Also I think the aesthetics of the 942 software is awesome.

10. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Yes but according to the USA Today the R15 is a piece of junk and has major issues that are going to need to be worked out. DirectV has had some junk in the past. But it seems that there customers like to over look there junk they come out with. They seem to think DirectV can do no wrong.

11. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    The only receiver Directv has presently that is a great hd dvr is the hd Tivo , but that will become discontinued once Directv comes out with their hd dvr version. Since they have decided to end their relationship with Tivo in 2007. Rupert should have bought Tivo and made it's software their own in order to have the best software to compete with the competition. Instead he is going to do the inhouse software where his customers will be the guinnea pigs or beta testers. Much like Dish has done in the past since 1999 , and continues to do with all their new receivers.

The 942 software does some of the same things as the hd tivo does and is very similar. I have had both a stand alone Tivo and the Dishdvrs and I actually perfer Dish's version with the 625/942 receivers. I only hope the mpeg4 vip 622 receiver will be just like the 942 but with a much bigger hard drive that will have more room to record. :D

Being able to add additional hard drive space via USB port would be nice too. I know that the techs said that that feature was coming in the near future. I would love to be able to increase the hard drive space like that to record more hd. :sure:

12. scooby2

scooby2 AllStar

Nov 29, 2005
    I agree they should have bought Tivo. Rumor is he tried and Tivo refused. I don't buy that for a second though since Rupert already owned NDS who makes the R-15 dvr software.

13. Alpaca Bill

Alpaca Bill Legend

Jun 17, 2005
    He did try and he did fail...that is what led him to cancel (or not renew) the contract with Tivo for the new receivers. NDS has been trying this DVR software for DirectTv receivers for the EU for about 3 years and they still haven't got it right...evidenced by the R15. That is why he really wanted to buy Tivo...so he could put their, his, software on all his receivers and he would be able to tweak it to his or his customers' liking more than what they could do with Tivo on their own.

14. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    NDS developed the "sky" dvrs too

15. foto_dog57

foto_dog57 Cool Member

Nov 28, 2005
    :p

So, I agree, most of what has happened to DVR with E* sucks. I just dropped to top120 and went monthly. I just ordered the MyDTV 130 to end the SD timeshift that I am stuck with on the 508. I don't think that the 508 was bad, but man, the complaints about the HD PVR's from E*:mad: . They won't get my money anytime soon. To bad my wife has such a hard time viewing streams from my I-O data AVel Linkplayer2. Just takes time to get the remote programed to one touch. I think I'll wait to see what the vip622 really looks like. Can't be much better than the 942, can it? Maybe they pitched the code and started over...:hurah: :hurah: :hurah: :hurah: :hurah:
    MerryHolidays all

16. mya23rd

mya23rd Legend

Dec 10, 2005
    I never knew that Murdoch tried to buy Tivo but it makes sense. I don’t know the details but I’m sure Tivo did not want to sell out and I’m sure Tivo customers are happy its still independent.

One thing I don’t understand is why is it so hard to make a good DVR. I understand the tendency is to copy Tivo and I know they are actually sueing Echostar but I don’t understand why both the cable and sat companies can get it right. The interfaces are always clunky and just ugly, functions don’t always work (buffering on Comcast DVR’s), and many functions that should be there are not. I think DTV customers will are the losers because they no longer will have access to Tivo thru DTV unless they get a standalone Tivo box. DTV is going to take a really long time to fix all the bugs that arise, months or probably even years. DTV customers will suffer as these issues are worked out and as DTV tries to replicate the Tivo experience.

17. buckyp

buckyp Legend

Dec 17, 2003
    Just go to show, everyone has thier own opinion, and it probably goes to what you are used to. I have both D* and E* and feel the opposite of you. I think the 522 interface is much better than the tivo. But I've had E* for 8 years and D* for 6 months. So I am used to E* and would cancel D* if E* ever gets the international channels I want.

18. busboy789

busboy789 AllStar

Oct 25, 2003
    for what it's worth...
    I switched to DTV yesterday and got a couple of the r15s that this thread is referring to and I think they are great. The r15 is far superior, in my opinion, to the 501 and 510 that I have from Dish. I could not be happier about switching!

19. treiher

treiher Member

Oct 24, 2002
    Interesting comment . . . I was thinking the same in reverse. I recently helped my neighbor set up local OTA channels on his Direct TV HD receiver. He had no idea you could do this, and was watching football in standard def. every Sunday! Anyway, after I got done and went home to my 942, I was thinking wow, I am really happy I am with Dish, because of all the reasons you describe, only in reverse. But that's not fair either, because I'm comparing Dish's latest and greatest with a Direct TV non-DVR receiver that is at least a few years old. I've seen a few other attempts to do that in this thread. I have not seen Direct TV's latest version of the 942. That would be the interesting comparison to make! Just my two cents.

20. zman977

zman977 Godfather

Nov 8, 2003
    We've toyed with the idea of switching from E to D. We had Direct TV first and then switched to E in 2001 because we wanted the PVR and D did not have any deals on there TIVO's for existing customers so we switched. We are thinking of switching back mainly for the duel tuner so we could record one show while watching another. Yes the 522 does this for E but you have to have it hooked up to two different tv's. From my understanding on what I read on D's website is that their DVR only has to be hooked up to one tv. Also, we want the season pass, name based recording etc. Which E keeps pushing back the dates for the 500 series receivers. Was originally supposed to happen last spring, then the end of this year, and so far nothing has happened. That being said. We have only had problems with our 501 box. We've had two of them in the last two years because the hard drive has gone bad. We just received our third 501 box on Wednesday Our 510 has had no problems so our experience has been mixed. Good luck with one receiver, bad luck with the other one. As I said, we are just thinking about switching back to D. We have not decided for sure yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.