1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And the tech came, and the tech left. Stupid no drill rule

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by opfreak, May 17, 2008.

1. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008
    Said he needs to drill to get the cables into the house, needs at least 2 holes. Since I dont have permission, and the apartment people aren't here untill 11 he left for his next job.

Said that he wont use flat cable.

Also wants(wanted) 70 dollars for the pole install... is that a fair price?

he said he'd call back at 11 to see if I can ger permission for the holes.

2. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    70 is a reasonable price yes. Just make sure he uses concrete and not just digs a hole. Flat cable is iffy indeed so I don't blame him for that.
    As far as the holes, yeah that's always a pickle.

3. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008

i'm going to talk to the apt people when they get here at 11. he admitted that the flat cable would work... but he doesnt want to be back next week fixing it

he appears to be a private contractor working for piremer since the truck wasnt a super colored directv truck.

is cash an odd request?

as long as its reasonable I dont care.

4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006

5. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008

doesnt really matter right now. A bit PO'd apartment office open today, but no one there that can say YES to drill holes.

I know its not the installers fault. Though I still feel a bit let down since I called the installers ahead of time and was told it wouldn't be a problem

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I had the same "no holes drilled" problem at my apt. complex. The installer attached the pole with u-clamps to the stair railing (I live on the second floor) and ran the two cables through my "french" opening kitchen windows behind the stove and the refridge and along the baseboards of my dining/living room to my HR20. It's not pretty but it is an apt./temp abode and I can take everything including the pole and dish when I move. The 1/8 inch space in the kitchen window I just covered it with the 3M plastic heat and seal insulation plastic wrap stuff.
    At least I was able to drop Comcost and have my Dtv.

7. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008
    mine said he would only install if he can drill.

8. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Then call Direct TV (ask for retention maybe, not sure) and explain the situation...that is male bovine back-end leavings.....!!!!!!!

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Folks, keep in mind that the techs face BIG charge-back penalties if your system:

- Stops working (such as the flat cables failing due to damage or causing too much signal loss),

- Violates the apartment rules, or

- Fails a QC (like cables running through an open window that prevents it from closing).

The real issue here is the apartment complex, not DirecTV. The installer can only do what he is allowed to do.

10. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008

yup, I blame the apartment, they used to have different rules, because of the 20-30 dishes I found, only 3 are pole mounted, the rest are drilled into everything

11. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Every dish here, either on a tripod, bucket/concret/pole or attached like mine HAS to go through an open window or sliding balcony door and like mine it is only open the width of the cable.

QC is fine....or the installers wouldn't do it.

If your installers insist on drilling against the apt. complex rules then enjoy your cable provider or pay major move out fees.

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    DISH won't do apartment installations.
    DTV used to insist on written landlord permission before rolling a truck. Now they just let the tech take a chance. Consider getting the whole building wired from one dish on the roof.

Joe

13. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Call me crazy, but I really don't think that's his call. :)

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, most likely none of those jobs has actually been QC'd.

Here's the problem: if you accidently slam the window/door on the cable, you can damage the cable and lose signal. Then, you call and create a Service Call, and the original tech gets charged back.

Or...

Someone breaks into your apartment through your open window/door. You get mad and call DirecTV to complain that if it wasn't for your "bad install", you'd have been able to close and lock your window, which leads DirecTV to create a damage claim against the installer.

Both of these have happened to my company or to others I know. DirecTV pushes hard for "completion rate" on new customers, but techs/companies quickly learn that you have to say "no" unless you can do a proper install, or you'll end up losing money and PAYING to do that install.

Just because you got a tech to do something (that wasn't up to code) doesn't mean they should have, or that the next tech will be willing to do the same thing.

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    My installer required a written "no drill" restriction notice.
    I tried to find my original post but it is gone.
    Window cracks (openings) are fine here.

16. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    OP..just try it with another installer..I have had Dtv going through my kitchen window for all of the Portland winter this year and havn't had any problems.
    Nor have I been burglerized. Get the Dtv service plan for about $5 a month and no problems.:)

17. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008

i'm not willing to push it. I like where I live. I think its a bit un-fair that some apts were allowed holes. But I dont own the place, so I dont make the rules.

i'll live with the crappy cable boxes. It sucks because the current dtv offer was great, but not worth getting evicted, or lossing the despoit over

18. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Sorry you aren't willing to have a window cracked open a bit.

Good Luck.

19. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Perhaps those folks with holes in their walls are grandfathered in under some old rules. If you truly like where you live and aren't willing to leave a window ajar then I agree, you should just let it go. It's only TV, after all. :D

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    DRILL - HOLE - PUTTY...the life cycle of the solution is complete. :D