1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying twitter pop-ups on tonights Fringe repeat

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by armophob, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1 of 28
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Anyone seeing this? WTF?

2. Sep 3, 2009 #2 of 28
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't watch the show, but people are twittering about it. I'd be annoyed too.

3. Sep 3, 2009 #3 of 28
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I figured it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. Fringe is probably the perfect candidate. It has limited commercial interruption and they even tell you how long the commercial break is, so when watching it on the DVR, you know just how many time to press that 30-second skip button to totally miss any advertisements.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #4 of 28
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It appeared to be some kind of actor feedback of the episode. It was horrible. It was like that MTV gimmick where pop-ups interrupt music videos. This thing filled the bottom half of the viewing area.
    I just happened on it accidentally, and I hope I never see it again.

5. Sep 3, 2009 #5 of 28
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yeah, but regardless of what the content of the messages were, I'm sure it was nothing more than a paid advertisement by Twitter.

6. Sep 3, 2009 #6 of 28
    armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    No argument there.

7. Sep 4, 2009 #7 of 28
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    So it wasn't like the repeats of Lost last season where pop-ups would at least present useful information or history about a plot point or character? I did record Fringe tonight, as I wanted to prep for the upcoming Season 2 premiere, so I guess I'll find out for myself how bad it is when I watch this recording in the next few days.

8. Sep 4, 2009 #8 of 28
    bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    There has been several discussions about this over the last week or so, with a lot of folks very much looking forward to this rebroadcast because of the Twittering. It's a feature, not a bug. I think it is great that folks who are really into the show get a bone thrown to them for watching the rerun. :biggthump

9. Sep 4, 2009 #9 of 28
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This year Fox is going to be heavy into "cross-promotion" to create a "buzz" to get that all important 12-to 17-year-old girl demo. They really don't care if they annoy old farts like me.:rolleyes:

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to this story in MediaDailyNews, the broadcast networks are "relaunching" shows:

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Unfortunately FOX is doing away with this on both Fringe and Dollhouse apparently. :(

12. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Yup, the idea was a loser. They basically lost 30% on the deal.

13. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I don't watch Lost, so this was the first I have heard of it. That seemed to be pretty much the jist of it before I changed the channel.

14. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    2 comments about that.

#1 I love the show. I would like many more people to also enjoy the show to get better ratings to continue the show. Pandering to the people who are already hooked makes no sense. Do that crap online. The perfect time to get new viewers is during the off season. If I were a new viewer to the show, I would have changed the channel as fast as I did as an old viewer.

#2 Basically slippery slope stuff as well. How long before they ruin a new episode as well.

15. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Of course it does. You just didn't like it.

Why don't you just watch your Twitter-free rerun online? Seems to me that you're simply putting your preference (a preference I share, by the way) above that of others.

The perfect time to secure the core audience is during the off season.

16. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I totally agree.

17. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    The did the same thing to Glee last night. I missed the first one, so watched the repeat. The tweets took up too much room on the screen, and were too distracting for me to enjoy the show. :-(

18. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I cannot respond to these comments without using derogatory comments towards your life experience and lack of understanding on how the rating systems work, so I will leave it alone. But going back to your original post;

Can you help direct me to these positive threads about this twittering over the shows? Before I started this thread, I did a search to be sure this was not already being discussed and came up with nothing. I just did another and still nothing. Now if these conversations took place on www.twitter.com, I need not know about it.

Now according to Wikopedia;

"Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the author's profile page and delivered to the author's subscribers who are known as followers."

As I understand it and that definition describes it as a service that users must subscribe to or want. Displaying these messages on a network program is no longer a tweet, it is a pop-up. And home viewers were not tweeting, nor were they given the opportunity to subscribe or unsubscribe as a follower. So it was nothing more than an MTV video pop up.

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Ditto. So why don't you just put your two cents in and I'll put mine in.

20. armophob

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Eh, ok, post 14 point #1

Basically the broader your customer base spans the better your success rate. If you are preaching to the choir and also offending some of them as well, you are losing a percentage of your core base of clients as well as deterring the new potential customers. Have I missed anything?

Let me extend a peace offering at this point. Due to the low post count on this topic, I suspect not many here saw the offending video.
    I suggest that if it ever occurs again, that we make it a point to draw attention to it before it happens and then put it to the people to vote on their opinion of it.