1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another AT9 coordinates request

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by marklynn, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    I am self-installing an AT9 and have run into trouble finding the install coordinates. Could someone with an H20 tell me what the angles are for zip code 49417? Thanks in advance!

2. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Hey guys - I'm really eager to try and get my AT9 calibrated. Could someone please plug 49417 into their H20 unit and tell me what the azimuth, elevation, and tilt values are for an AT9? Your help is greatly appreciated!!! By the way, I do not have an H20 because I'm waiting on the replacement for the HD DVR Tivo unit; however, I'm installing an AT9 so I will be set for the future. In the meantime, none of my receivers know about the AT9, and they apparently give different values for setup.

3. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    According to this website,
    your coordinates are...

AZ:203.4
    EL:38.1
    TILT:74.6

I read somewhere else that your supposed to take the tilt and subtract it from 90 to get your setting.

4. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Thanks sheridan1952 for the reply. I previously tried these coordinates and am not getting an adequate signal strength (using a signal meter at the dish). These coordinates are for the satellite at 101 which I understand should be used to peak an AT9. However, given my poor signal numbers I wanted to make sure I was using the coordinates given by an H20 receiver for my zip code. I would still appreciate if someone could try their H20 and post the angles. Thanks!

5. RMLapthorn

RMLapthorn New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    My H20 yield these settings for ZIP 49417:

Tilt 74
    Elavation 38
    Azimuth 206

Hope this helps

6. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    I recently installed a triple LNB dish, it also had a tilt to set. I found that the tilt had to be tweaked in spite of the directions saying otherwise. It may be the same for you.

7. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    RMLapthorn: Thanks so much! I was about to drive over to Best Buy and see if I could use their display H20 to check this. Unfortunately, the elevation and tilt are pretty much what I've been using while I peaked the azimuth so I'm a little confused.

sheridan1952: Thanks as well. I guess I'll try peaking the tilt. It seems like this is going to be an iterative process.

By the way, my other confusion is that the extra arm with the the additional two LNBs has three holes to choose from - corresponding to 3 zones. According to the map in the manual, I am either zone 1 or 2. However, I am basically dead center on the line that splits zone 1 and zone 2 so I'm not sure which to choose. Hopefully this is not too critical.

8. Claus

Claus AllStar

Nov 20, 2005
    Mr. marklynn,
    AT9 tilt is adjusted for best signal on 119 as part of procedure. Are you following instructions? If you take step by step in manual then everything will be best it can be, do not ignore any step. If you are on the line between zone then choose center zone, you cant go wrong.
    Claus

9. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I have the AT9 install manual and am following it step by step (to the best of my ability). However, I am having trouble getting an acceptable signal for 101 at the beginning of the process. I saw the refinements to optimize to another satellite in later steps, but I have not gotten that far. It's raining here today so I'll probably wait until tomorrow and try again.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Do you have a birddog or other suitable meter?

11. Claus

Claus AllStar

Nov 20, 2005
    Mr. marklynn,
    Are you using external meter or receiver for signal? Some external meters will lite up on other satellites. Are you sure you got 101 and not something else?
    Claus

12. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I am using an Acutrac22 Pro to peak the dish. It does not have instructions specific to the AT9 which has been a little confusing for me. It does not indicate the satellite. I am going by the rough install coordinates and assuming this gets me the right satellite - which may be my problem.

I understand that the extra arm and 2 LNBs are for the 110 & 119 satellites. Is it appropriate to leave this off while I'm peaking to 101? Then, I can add these back for the rest of the steps. I have not tried this, but perhaps this would help eliminate peaking off the wrong satellite.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you have not done so already, please watch all 5 of the installation videos at the following link. They take you through every step, and every detail, of installing and aligning the AT9 dish (using the Accutrac Pro meter).

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp

Make sure you do the fine adjustment procedures exactly as described. The videos explain why.

Once you believe you have found a good signal for the 101 satellite, hook up your receiver and see if it works with the 101 satellite. That way you know you are on the correct bird. The Accutrac meter does not differentiate one satellite from another for the most part, and as others have noted, it is very possible to get a good strong signal from a totally wrong satellite (which won't work with your receiver).

Carl

14. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Thanks for the help. I have viewed those videos, and I just rewatched them to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I guess my only problem is that they tell me to set the AcutracPro to 101 RHCP when initially peaking the dish. I am using the meter without connecting it to a receiver and I do not see any way to set the meter to 101 RHCP. If I connect to the receiver as well is it then possible to set the satellite to 101 RHCP? In any event, I won't be playing with this until tomorrow since it is raining all day here. I will post my findings tomorrow. Thanks to all who have been helping me!

15. Claus

Claus AllStar

Nov 20, 2005
    Mr. marklynn,
    Your Acutrack is a good meter and AT9 instructions tell you what to do with it. It says set for 101 RHCP (13 volt with no tone) this means you set Acutrac for 13 volt and no 22kc tone. Meter does not know RHCP or LHCP, just volts and tone. You can hook receiver to Acutrac and see if it pick up promo channel to ID the 101 sat before you continue on maybe wrong sat. Connect all LNBs because they will cause dish movement when put on later and maybe mess up your peaking.
    Claus

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As Claus noted, with a bit more info...

Right Hand Circular Polarity (RHCP) = 13 volt
    (this also correlates to "odd" transponders)
    Left Hand Circular Polarity (LHCP) = 18 volt
    (this also correlates to "even" transponders)

101 Satellite = no tone
    110/119 Satellite = 22KHz tone

For AT9 installation, you want 13 volt no tone for the RHCP settings.

Carl

17. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Light Bulb!

I did not realize that RHCP = 13V, LHCP = 18V or the significance of the tone (or lack thereof) selecting 101. This makes a lot more sense! Thanks guys!!!

18. marklynn

marklynn Cool Member

Apr 3, 2006
    My Dish is finally aligned and all is working well. As it turns out, I was peaking off the wrong satellite. My guess on the azimuth was way off. Once we found 101 in the sky, the rest of the process went fairly smoothly. Of course, I have no way to test the KA satellites yet which are supposedly much more sensitive, but the KU stuff looks great and the HD Tivo unit is really nice!

Thanks again for the help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.