1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another bad day for D* on NBC HD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by elvisisded, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvisisded

elvisisded New Member

May 6, 2006
    Once again, just like last week, NBC is cutting out constantly during the football game making it unwatchable. I live in the Los Angeles area. Anyone else experiencing this. I am really regretting my decision to sign up with D* at this point. Before you ask, I'm getting signal strength in the 90's and it's a clear sunny day. This
    sucks.

2. FenceMan

FenceMan Mentor

Nov 21, 2004
    Same problem with OTA antenna, probably has nothing to do with D*...

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    As mentioned last week, NBC's HD signal is the worst in the industry. DirecTV (or Dish or cable) can only give you what your local NBC station gives them. Crap in, crap out.

NBC OTA is just as bad in most places.

4. elvisisded

elvisisded New Member

May 6, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I hope they get that sorted out before the season starts.:mad:

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I was only able to watch maybe 15 minutes of today's game, but it was solid both via DTV and OTA (Seattle local). I wonder if it varies depending on the local station.

6. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    All the problems I saw with the hall of fame game were gone for last night's game. I get NBC HD via my OTA antenna (Buffalo). Both races from Watkins Glen were flawless too.

7. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    NBC out of Milwaukee is awesome. Great Picture & DD 5.1 Sounds great. This is with an OTA antenna.

My only complaint is that the idiots John Madden & Al Michaels still can be heard. I would rather hear white noise than those two bumbling idiots.

8. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Get a sirius receiver. Problem solved...:D

9. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Doubtfull. The problem isn't so much NBC themselves as the local affiliates. Most NBC affiliates have at least 1 subchannel if not 2. This starves the HD feed making it look like crap at best, dropouts at worst.

So if the local affiliate delivers their HD signal to Dish, DirecTV or cable via OTA (which many do) then you'll see the same issues on Dish, DirecTV or cable but only magnified due to the extra compression put on the signal.

Some NBC are fine, such as Milwaukee it seems. But many are not. So you should find out if your NBC has digital subchannels OTA and if so then you'll know the root of the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.