1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another day, another MLB game in SD - Cubs vs Braves

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by homebase, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1 of 27
    homebase

homebase Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    In Nashville, Braves & Reds are "home" teams. So the Cubs (our favorite team) are playing in Atlanta tonight.

The HD feed from Chicago was n/a, the schedule auto-switched to the SD feed from the Braves announcers, Chip is OK by me, he's Rush fan. (Gotta love a rock band that has lasted nearly 4 decades w/o drugs & the usual trappings! But I digress....)

But it's in SD.

Again

Last night, WGN...SD.
    Tonight, Peachtree TV...SD
    Tomorrow, the MLB network in HD, but with the horrible announcers on there.

What are the odds that the game will even be shown in the Braves "home" area on MLB ??

DTV should offer a reduced fare for us paying to see this all in HD, but only getting SD.

Yeah I know, there are bigger problems in the world, I know....i know...

2. Jun 3, 2009 #2 of 27
    homebase

homebase Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Oh yeah, no commercials on this SD feed. Why is that? (not that I'm complaining...)

3. Jun 3, 2009 #3 of 27
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    It is in HD. It is in HD on CSN Chicago. Of course since the Braves are you local team, the visiting feed will be blacked out. That is not a Direct issue, that is a MLB issue

4. Jun 3, 2009 #4 of 27
    lowmazda

lowmazda Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    Directv never stated that EVERY game was going to be available in HD. Directv apparently does not have an agreement with Peachtree for HD retransmission.

Contact the Braves and Peachtree.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #5 of 27
    JoeS

JoeS AllStar

Jan 24, 2008
    I thought the live D* reads during FOX baseball on Saturdays said "Every MLB Game in HD"

I know its not going to happen but I'm nearly certain those were the words used.

We need to call them out on this.

6. Jun 3, 2009 #6 of 27
    dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    They only mean every saturday FOX game is in HD.

7. Jun 3, 2009 #7 of 27
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    That is what I believe they meant, but Direct did say, "Catch EVERY MLB game in HD." They never specified Fox games.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #8 of 27
    Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Turn on Channel 720-1. The MLB Game Mix Channel in HD. You can watch the Cubs feed of the game in the little box. It's better than watching the SD Peachtree feed, and you can keep up with 7 other games going on at the same time. I'm a Cubs fan living in Braves territory and that is how I am watching the game.

9. Jun 3, 2009 #9 of 27
    JoeS

JoeS AllStar

Jan 24, 2008
    Its odd how the claims started to be announced a few weeks back and since then there have been like 10 games missing in HD. Oddly before the 'claim' I dont recall hardly ANY HD game missing (at least 1 feeds worth).

It burns me up when I see MLB Network using HD feeds for all the channels we dont get in their highlights packages - even ones we 'should' get (Tonights Sun Sports Marlins game and MASN2 games shown in SD)

10. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    What burns me up is knowing that the game *is* available in HD but DirecTv only shows the Standard Definition version of the game. WGN broadcasts all Cubs and White Sox games in HD, but they are never available on Extra Innings. Same with Peachtree Television Braves games. I know for a fact those games are in HD but we get the shaft who subscribe to MLB Extra Innings and have the HD service. And Then What is even worse is knowing that games are in HD like Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area or Comcast Sportsnet California for Giants and A's games and we get a crappy blurry picture. The Majority of the games are there but there is still Sooo Much left to be desired on MLB Extra Innings. They really need to find a way to get every game on the package in HD and they also need to announce that all FOX Saturday Games will be on the package. On Saturdays we are all actually missing some games. And I'm not even going to start about Over The Air Baseball Telecasts.

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    It's a shame some of that HD PPV buffer can't be used to bring us Peachtree TV in HD. I am 99% sure it's HD via OTA in the ATL. Oooh, acronym city.

12. JoeS

JoeS AllStar

Jan 24, 2008
    For starters how about adding part time channel 307-1 for just WGN games, 651-1 for Peachtree? (What channel is 652?)

Secondly - if PHL17 games are now available - that means (?) they have uplinked a local channel to distribute nation wide for a game, why not the rest of the available OTA games?

13. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    MLB's blackout rules stink because their "territories" are so large. Some people in Idaho get blacked out on Mariners and Rockies games even though they are ~400 miles away from both Seattle and Denver. Do they really think a lot of people there will choose to drive eight hours each way to go to the game (or not watch a future local broadcast) because an out of market game was made available when there was no local broadcast?

14. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    First things first. MLB and DirecTv the satellite provider *Should* talk and try to restructure the deal that FOX currently has for it's Saturday exclusivity blackouts. They need to negotiate and find a solution with FOX to get all the Saturday regionally televised games on the MLB Package. Also the Saturday exclusivity needs to go. We are missing Some Saturday afternoon MLB Games. Secondly the next order of business would be to get the all of the Over The Air feeds of baseball games onto the package. Thirdly MLB needs to end all blackouts. These blackouts were put in place back in the 1950's and 1960's when there were less teams and more coverage area on the map was needed for teams. A Good Example of this is as a previous poster added that Folks in Idaho are getting blacked out from Seattle and Colorado games. That is absurd. Fourthly DirecTv needs to get all the HD Feeds up for people who are spending the money for the MLB Extra Innings Package to watch these games in High Definition. This Rain Delay of putting Blackouts on the backburner by Major League Baseball has to end sometime. It just does not make sense to black anyone out from a Baseball game.

15. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    1. Fox will gladly restructure their Saturday Rights for one thing a huge rebate. Never going to happen. Learn to live with the Saturday blackout, it's not going away at any time during the Fox deal. A far more likely solution during the Fox deal would be for MLB to prohibit Saturday afternoon baseball in all non Fox games.

2. Agreed with OTA feeds but easier said then done. A deal would have to be negotiated with all the relevant interests in every city and club area that has an OTA package.

3.Blackouts aren't going away. We all wish they would but it's not logical nor feasible. Far too many existing TV contracts would have to be redone with refunds going to the tv entities that are now having their audience reach reduced.

The best we can hope for will be tweaks with the multiple claiming of territories being addressed by MLB. Possibly put an end to multiple claiming of markets except in the case of the two team markets, ie:Yanks/Mets, Orioles/Nats, Giants/A's and others. Possibly allowing the visting team feed into the local market if local market does not have a provider for that game. NBA/NHL type structure.

4.Agreed with the HD premise. DirecTV should put forth a little more effort in this area.

16. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I don't buy the fact that a massive change couldn't happen. There is simply too much greed in the pro sports arena today, and this is one very glaring example. People are paying nearly outrageous sums of money, whether to go to games at the stadiums, or watch on TV and the advertisers add a healthy dose to the till as well.

The bottom line is that if this out of control greed continues eventually most folks simply won't pay for it anymore.

Don't forget the economy is is chaos and the huge sums from fans are drying up quickly.

Things are going to change, and change radically in the near term future for all pro sports.

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    MLB needs to also force OTA only and cable only games to be on mlb el.

WCIU 26 HD and some WGN (Chicago only) games is needed but wciu is Chicago area only so the MLB will need to step in to fix that.

18. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Wholeheartedly agree, dubber. If the pro sports franchises and TV networks/broadcasters believe their cash cow will never go dry, they're in for a rude awakening. And it may be sooner rather than later.

19. colebert

colebert Legend

Aug 19, 2007
    The reason there are no commericals on the MLB:EI Peachtree feed is because all non-RSN feeds are coming from MLB Advanced Media (which is where the broadcasters are required to uplink.) DirecTV only remaps its full-time RSN feeds. Everything else it pulls down from MLB. For some reason they don't want to remap the local channels, probably owing to some rule against it.

20. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Well when directv pays the NFL $4,000,000,000 for 4 years of sunday ticket thru 2014 it doesnt give the broadcasters a reason to think otherwise.