1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another (dreaded) Genie installation questions thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by RoyGBiv, Jul 7, 2013.

1. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks for your indulgence in these questions, which I am sure have been answered before, but searches haven't quite turned up answers to these exact questions.

I currently have two HR20-700's and one HR22 (with an AM21). I am planning on adding a Genie (it doesn't really matter whether HR34 or HR44). Here is my current setup and what I plan to do with questions. The three boxes are connected via ethernet (unsupported mode) MRV which works fine.

Currently, I have a SWiM LNB with one line coming into the house where in the attic there is a 2:1 splitter. One coax goes into my sitting room where the HR22 is. The other goes to the basement where the PI connects, and the output from the PI goes into my family room where another 2:1 splitter is used to feed both HR20's.

What I would like to do is add one Genie and remove the HR22. I know this will give me 9 tuners and means I will need to go back to a regular LNB and add a SWiM16. So, my first question: Can the SWiM16 be mounted outside as I would much prefer two cables coming into my attic than 4? If it can, does it need to be protected from the elements in some way? I heard of one person who somehow has it zipcorded to his antenna mount, and ideally something like that is what I'd like to do and have only two cables come through the wall of the attic.

Then, I would remove the attic splitter. One cable would go directly to my sitting room, and the other could go down to the PI in the basement. So next quesion, does the SWiM16 need two PIs or only one, and if only one, does it matter which port on the SWiM16 the PI attaches to? If it needs two PIs, one would have to be in the attic. Are there issues with the ambient temperature a PI operates at, because my attic can hit more 120 degrees on a summer day, and 0 on a cold winter night? (And, if these temps are an issue, what about for the SWiM16 which would be in the attic if I couldn't put it outside.)

Last set of questions: I currently have boxes connected with ethernet for MRV, and I understand Genies need to work with DECA. I presume D* will provide the DECAs for the HR20's. Do DECAs require power with an external power cord, or are they powered through the coax cable? There will still be a two way splitter in the family room with one leg going to the Genie and another to the HR20. Does this require any special specs? Currently, it's just an off the shelf splitter and works fine. Do I need a band stop splitter or filter with this set up? Are there any issues with sharing programs between devices on the two different "arms" or the SWiM16? It is also my understanding that a Genie has an ethernet cable in back allowing direct connection at that point to the internet for the entire network so that I don't need a CCK. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help.

SMK

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    My SWiM16 is on the outside of my home.

3. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Thanks. And is it in any way protected from the elements or just open?

SMK

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It's on NW corner and it's open to the weather. It is about 4' above ground level.

5. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I'm certainly not any sort of expert, but my SWiM 16 has only 1 PI. It is in my house (in my office) and has my HR34 connected to it. I also have my router connected directly to the HR34 via ethernet and so I disconnected the CCK from my set up. The installer should supply you with the white DECA box for your other DVR's. If not, I would call them and request them for free.

DECAs do not have an external power supply, you are correct that they only need the coax and the ethernet cable.

The port question is far outside my area of knowledge. Is an installer doing your upgrade? If so, you won't need to worry about it. Just know you can have your PI in the house, you only need 1 and your SWiM 16 can be on the outside of the house, unprotected from the weather. Mine is on the southeast corner of my second story. It is under the eaves, but not really protected otherwise.

Your splitter between the Genie and another DVR should be fine. But again, if a Direct TV installer comes, have him use an "official" one. And there are no Whole Home issues between different legs of the SWiM.

Hopefully that answers your major concerns.

6. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Yes, it does. Thank you, both.

SMK

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Sharon basically got you all your info...

As for the port for the PI, it needs to be on a coax to the SWM1 port or the SWM16 or the dedicated power port on the SWM16.

If DirecTV is doing the install, they will supply all hardware needed to allow MRV to work correctly on your system once the Genie is installed. As for the splitters, they should all be green label splitters to be sure that your system runs fine.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While that has been doen many times, it is NOT a DirecTV approved installation method. The cables from the LNB must go near your ground source, in which you can use the SWM16 as a ground device (only newer ones are approved) from there then you would run one to the attic and oen to the basement