1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another HR24-500 remote question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Windshadow, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Windshadow

Windshadow Cool Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Out of the box with nothing done to it the volume control on the 24 remote is adjusting the volume on my Pioneer elite plasma tv (6 yeas old) Now I am guessing that the receiver is detecting the TV type over the HDMI and setting this automagicly some how; but since I do not use the TV audio I want to set the remote volume and mute to control the Pioneer Elite receiver that does all the audio processing

so how do I do this on the old unit using the volume or mute button would bring up a msg on the screen asking if I wanted to program the remote but no longer

Cheers
    Windy

2. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Did you program the remote for your Elite receiver? The initial setup is different than going back and making changes unless you reset the remote.

If you've already programmed the Elite receiver then you can slide the selector switch to the position you previously programmed the Elite receiver (You don't need to navigate the HR24 to the program remote setup screen for these adjustments that follow if you've previously programmed remote) and hold mute/select buttons simultaneously until the corresponding light above the selector switch flashes and press 993 then press select button.

If you want to have the TV control it's own volume in the TV mode only, slide the selector switch to TV mode and hold mute/select until it flashes, press 993 and then press volume down button. This will allow to control it's volume w/o getting up or reaching for another remote.

3. Windshadow

Windshadow Cool Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks for the reply but I guess I am a bit dense this morning the TV is never used as anything but a monitor (and even when I had Cable TV the speakers for the plasma have been reused as the rear surround speakers) all sound is processed via the Receiver. I have done no programing on the remote as yet (the remote for the old 20-100 died before the receiver did)

on the old system you to to the program the receiver by just touching either the volume or mute button on the remote and a "Do you want to program your remote" msg came on the screen but now the thing seems to be preprogramed some how and is controlling the (nonfunctioning) volume and mute on the TV (and this is with the remote change slide switch in the far left normal position which is how I want it to work when it is made to control the rec.)

Sorry if my description was not clear

Cheers
    Windy

4. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    You will need to program the remote. I suspect it's not even set for RF mode.

Press Menu button on the remote, go to Parental, Favs & setup/System Setup/Remote Control/Program Remote.

It's basically designed to assist you by selecting model #'s of your equipment. But I cannot recall the actual steps being that once setup is complete, the menus change unless the remote is reset.

It's important to remember that the remote you have is two-way for programming purposes. After you select the model #, you'll need to point the remote at the HR24while standing near it or communication with will fail.

5. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
  6. Windshadow

Windshadow Cool Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks I have it programed now but I can only control the Audio rec if I put the slide switch in the AV1 position when the switch is in the normal full left position the volume and mute buttons just effect the plasma control box and no speakers are connected to that... If I understand that PDF that just the way it is and I have to shift the switch to adjust volume or mute

7. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    One last step with just the remote this time. Slide selector switch to AV1, press/hold mute and select buttons simultaneously until the light above AV1 flashes, press 993 then select. The flashes should acknowledge the input command if correct.

Now slide selector back to Directv and test volume and mute. (s/b your Pioneer receiver; if not repeat above steps).

8. Windshadow

Windshadow Cool Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks again! Boy you really know the ins and outs of this system!

Cheers

Windy

9. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Glad to hear it works for you!