1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another HR34 Question :)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tonyc, Nov 23, 2012.

1. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    I soon will be upgrading to HD, I currently have SDTV with R16's. I would like to get 2 Samsung HDTV's, Large one for the living room and smaller in the bedroom, I like the RVU option for the Genie. my question is the one in the bedroom if i understand right i will not need a Genie mini as long as it is RVU correct? And if i don't do i still need to pay the 6.00 dollars since i won't have a box in the bedroom.
    Thank you for any your advice and tips you can offer.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you choose to get a Samsung smart TV (the ES series) you can use it without a Genie Client. However, you'll still have to pay $6 a month, and you will need a good wired ethernet connection to the TV (wireless doesn't really cut it.)

3. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    Thank you, as I was checking out different models I did notice there where two model types "ES" and "EH" and I wasn't sure if what I had read was true and all 2012 models would be RVU compatible. I read that on the Samsung website.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I can't confirm the EH models, I should be getting a full list soon. I've been told the ES models are RVU compatible now.

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If it was me, based on how Samsung has been rolling out the RVU update (very slowly) I think I'd go with the C31 client. For ongoing support issue I think it would make life easier since basically except for the actual TV DIRECTV would be supporting all of it so you eliminate a possible point to allow finger pointing to occur.

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Agree! If you have not purchased the TV's yet, I wouldn't worry about the TV itself being RVU compliant. I would get the TV I liked for the price I liked, and go for the C31 client.

7. tonyc

tonyc Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Anaheim,CA
    Thank you all, your advise was very helpful to me to make the right decisions, I hope Directv is helpful when I'm ready to install. I called them the other day and they told me it would cost $447.00 to come out and install and i don't even think that include any C31's and I been a customer since 1996.

8. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    My ES got a firmware update a couple of weeks ago and that included the RVU capability.