1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Another Problem with 721?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by gtannenb, Oct 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtannenb

gtannenb Cool Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I have noted a new problem with my 721 that I have not noticed anyone else have. When watching WPIX, Channel 11 in NY or USA network, I get a black box appear on the bottom half of the screen, which makes the channel unviewable. The box disappears if I hit the display button but once the display goes away, the black box reappears. It seems to only happen on these two channels. On the USA channel, the following is isplayed in the box "[ffff]" On WPIX, usually the box is empty but sometimes it displays "www.dishnetwork.com" or just plain gibberish.

Anyone else have this problems and is there a way to fix this or do I have to wait until the next update. This never occured until the past update.

2. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I don't think that this is a 721 problem. It sound like you have "closed caption" turned on on your TV.

3. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    Bill R is correct you have a "closed caption" fuction enabled on your tv

check your tv menu under "closed caption" probably a "text fuction" of some sort"

4. gtannenb

gtannenb Cool Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Thanks for your suggestions and the problem is solved. The problem was that a version of closed captioning was turned on via the TV. It was strange that it only affected 2 channels.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.