1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another service call, another waste of time mostly

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jul 4, 2013 #1 of 15
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On Monday a courteous young service tech arrived at 6:30 pm because I contacted the Dish tech people in an online chat - a very long, "let me switch you to a supervisor" chat. The problem is the original 1999 installation which wasn't changed in 2007 when I upgraded to HD. You can see my setup and grumbles about prior service calls here. But here's the primary picture from that site:

[​IMG]

I want to emphasize that I am not complaining about the service tech. He did the only thing he could do to address the problem. But here is what he told me:
    • They don't have any round dishes any more - you know, like the Dish 500.
    • They don't have any taller poles to mount dishes on any more.
    • You can't use three dishes.
    If you look at my setup you'll see I have a tree problem, we live in the redwoods.

The dish on the roof was placed where it is on 11/17/1999 to eliminate the chance of interference with 110° but when the wind blows there was always some problem with 119°. Back when that Dish was originally placed all signals were SD and even the hardest wind only caused some minor pixelation.

By 2007 when I had the weirdest install experience described in the linked page it was getting somewhat worse. But I was lucky to get anything installed in that period as you can see from my description.

Fast forward to 2013. I now was having regular partial signal losses on 119° with a light breeze and frequent complete signal losses with a heavy breeze. What I needed is a third Dish 500 placed a couple of feet to the left of the existing roof dish aiming at 119° and while leaving the existing dish in place as it was for 110°.

But I was told the three things lilsted above. Instead the tech rotated the "bent" arm on the existing dish which moved the dish about 6" to the left. That will substantially reduce the frequency of signal losses on 119°. I'm not sure what in the long term it will do to 110° signals.

I also have developed a problem with 129° which is minor in a stiff breeze but significant in a high wind. What I need for it is to raise the dish about two feet. That could also be part of a solution for the other dish or dishes.

So to solve my signal loss problems the best solution would be three dishes, all about two feet higher than the current mounts allow.

According to the tech, that can't be done.

Of course, I know it can be done if you have the right parts and equipment. I'm just feeling a little too old to climb up there to do it myself and I am paying for that protection plan.

Anyway, am I wrong that one can use three "round" dishes through a switch to get 110°, 119°, and 129° (Western Arc)? Has Dish really quit carrying "round" dishes and longer mounts to raise the dishes up a couple of feet?

And no, I can't cut or trim the trees - we live where they are sacred.

2. Jul 4, 2013 #2 of 15
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I would think that your install would be outside the scope of a standard install/service call and would require that you deal with some independent contractors as none of what you need done will be approved by Dish Network and therefore none of the in house techs or subcontractors used by Dish would do the work you need.

3. Jul 4, 2013 #3 of 15
    gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    One of the three is true: The longest Dish approved mast ("bent arm") will only gain you about 6-8" of height over what you have now. Longer ones are made, but are not approved by Dish as the increase the leverage exerted on the mounting surface in high winds.

Dish does still have 500 dishes, and yes, you can use three dishes, but it's not considered a standard install as it would also require a DPP33 or DPP44 switch to combine the signals from the 3 dishes.

I agree with what West said above, you are entering into the area of non-standard installs if you want to keep the service. Your best bet is to find a contractor or retailer who is willing to perform the services for you.

4. Jul 5, 2013 #4 of 15
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    How bad is your view to EA satellites? 61.5 and 72.7 could get all but your locals but look angle is lower.

5. Jul 5, 2013 #5 of 15
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    When Tony was in the business in Willits I had him do some custom setup work. Are you familiar with him? He might come out and give you a hand or at a minimum some guidance.

6. Jul 5, 2013 #6 of 15
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    EA is not a possibility. I have no view of the satellites.

I guess that's what I feared. At that point, I'm probably looking at a DIY.

Yes, Tony did our C-band and our first "small dish" installs. I know him pretty well, just didn't want to bother him now that he's out of the trade.

7. Jul 5, 2013 #7 of 15
    normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    It does appear that its being classified as a non standard installation, while there are always options, the solution seems to be longer mast, anchored as best it can be done, and mounting on new longer mast(s) which ever Dish Models would provide you the service you are getting. If a Dish 1000 can do that from a single location mounted on a higher mast, perhaps that is the one option..

8. Jul 5, 2013 #8 of 15
    shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    i bought a longer mast mount online somewhere, cant recall where but it is prolly 1.5 feet higher than the standard mast. i havent installed it yet but i need to whenever i get around to it.

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9 of 15
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    just adding 1.5ft doesn't give you that much more clearance over those trees. I would say not even a degree from the distance in those pictures. I think you would need more like 10ft to even get a degree higher.

10. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    It would seem to me if the "trees" are "sacred" you need to find someone to "top" it.If the trees were not "sacred" you would have someone take them out.You may have to consider having a "tower" installed.I would think what ever was the cheapest would be the correct answer,but what do I know.Good Luck! :)

11. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    phrelin,

What did you end up doing?

Anyone know why Dish doesn't have taller pole mounts? Surely 4 foot is not the one size fits all?

I was thinking I may need taller in the future as my neighbor's trees may become a problem. [ not able to talk him into trimming them]
    Roof mount is not even in the picture.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I have a local installer who will build any pole needed to make a dish work. Not standard, not cheap and not supported by DISH or DirecTV. But he gets his customers their signals ... and if the pole breaks you call him, not the satellite provider.

I've seen him install a 10 ft pole with the right diameter tube welded at the top to attach the dish. It wobbles in high winds but doesn't lose signal too often. Would DISH or DirecTV want to support that? No. But a local installer might.

There is also a local install where the dish is about 30ft up a television antenna tower. Not standard, but some private installers will do what is needed to serve the customer.

13. oljim

oljim Godfather

Aug 6, 2002
    Did you think about moving dishes back rather that up

14. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
  15. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Generally speaking, a 5' tripod is better than a 3' as it will allow all 3 feet to be anchored in studs. For a 3' to be properly secured, additional wood will have to be attached inside the roof. They're a little more money, but I'd go with a 5'.