1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Sign of the Times; Kodak May Go Under

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Sep 30, 2011.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...as-camera-maker-said-to-weigh-bankruptcy.html

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Think about the number of pictures that are being taken this SECOND, compared with the number of pictures being taken at the height of Kodachrome's peak . . .

3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
  4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I would have guessed they were already gone.

I heard a mind boggling number a couple of years ago: something like, that year more people bought digital cameras of some sort - if you include cellphones - than the TOTAL number of shutter cameras that had ever been sold... ever!

5. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I have a kodak printer and I must say it's the best one I have ever had.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The digital camera market these days is simply crazy - new models not just every year, but every few months. There seems to be a frenzied approach to gaining market share. A look at Amazon without associated vendors shows 39 point and shoot cameras by Canon, 52 by Sony, 58 by Nikon, 33 by Kodak and 49 by Panasonic. That's just crazy. Still in all, I don't see Kodak going down the tubes soon now that they've exited the film camera market and dropped Kodachrome, provided that they market cameras of decent quality. The Kodak name is revered by the general public.

I've had three Kodak digital cameras over the years. The best of the three, a C850, I unfortunately left behind at a restaurant in Vegas. When I went back to get it a few hours later, it was gone. Currently, I have a Kodak Z712IS and a Nikon D40x. Both are capable of very good picture quality if you don't over extend them. I have to confess that despite its lower image quality (7mp vs. the Nikon's 10 mp) I tend to use the Kodak more often for its compactness, zoom ratio, image stabilization and option for using either lcd or viewfinder. On my Nikon, only the 18-55 mm lens has image stabilization. Despite the fact that the 55-200 mm lens doesn't have stabilization, I tend to favor it for much of my shooting.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  8. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    All this time they never fought digital but tried to go with it. The first digital camera I saw was sold by apple and made by Kodak.