1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Waiver question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Steve H, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006
    Maybe someone can teach me how this whole thing works. From what I have been told a wavier is granted bascially on the signal you do/do not receive via OTA. I do not receive any OTA where I live. I'm told that I can qualify for 2 of the 4 networks witha waiver. Why not all 4? All four signals come from the same OTA locations in my part of the state.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    First, we should note that E* does not offer distants at all ... so anything I say will be generally related to the distants you CAN receive on E* equipment via separate subscription to channels from All American Direct. If you want distants via D* ask in the D* forums! :)

The first level of qualification is being outside the Grade B coverage area of all affiliates of each network you want to receive. This is a defined coverage area, not always accurate, but is the first hurdle. If you are outside the Grade B of all affiliates of a particular network you qualify for distants via AAD. (D* also has to consider their markets where locals are provided and can no longer offer distants to customers who have locals in their own market.)

Now enter basic waivers ... For ALL stations of that network that claim you as Grade B coverage you need a waiver. For example, if you are trying to get ABC and you have two stations claiming Grade B coverage of your location BOTH stations need to grant a waiver before you can get an ABC distant.

Signal coverage varies ... not all stations operate at the same power even if they are at nearby sites. You can easily be grade B for one station and not another. You can also run in to stations that simply refuse all waivers.

These basic waivers are granted (or not) by simply asking the station. No proof is required. Once waivers are issued for a location they go on file for others in the same area. If the only way you can get stations is "by waiver" it simply means that two of your stations offer waivers and the other two have decided NOT to issue wavers. It is their choice.

You can do an in depth waiver process that proves at your specific location. This requires that some authority takes accurate signal readings at your location with the loser generally paying for the tests. If AAD decides that they don't want to take the risk of paying for on site tests they don't have to. After a while it can be cheaper for them to refuse the business than pay for failed on site tests.

3. BWELL316

BWELL316 Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    Can you clarify something for me? My father-in-law has Dish Network here in the Lewiston/Auburn,ME area, and the local Fox affiliate DOES NOT have HD capabilties AT ALL(with no plans to do so until 2009, just in time for the 2008 Super Bowl, lol). I have D*TV and got a waiver from my local Fox station to get Fox NY HD, is it possible to do the same thing with Dish? If so how would one go about doing that?

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dish lost a court case last year. Even if you obtain a waiver, Dish cannot supply distant local channels at all anymore.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    It is Absolutely, totally against the law for Echostar / Dish Network to offer ANY outside of market stations to anyone persurant to one section of the SHIVa/ Shivera. Period. End of discussion. This has ZERO to do with DirectTv's availablity of out-of-market networks, and neither one is currently offering (to the best of my knowledge - I might be wrong on this point) HD Networks.

What they have done is to contract with AAD so that AAD offers two markets Big4 stations (ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX) SD signals only, on Dish's equipment. In this case, you would be a customer of AAD for those distant networks, but you still have to qualify for them (mostly, being outside of Grade B coverage of all stations for that network).

6. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    I get all the East Coast HD network feeds in the Chicagoland area. I got the waiver back in 2002, though.

Edit: DirecTV customer, if anyone thought otherwise.

7. alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    Also AAD does not offer distants in HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.