1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

antenna help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by priester68, Jun 13, 2009.

1. priester68

priester68 AllStar

Sep 10, 2008
    What is a good antenna to get for my HR20? There are several local channels I can get but for some reason my old antenna won't pick them up or my DVR isn't working right.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    How far away are you from the towers?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  4. dhkinil

dhkinil Icon

Dec 17, 2006
  5. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I'm using the Terk HDTVi indoor antenna. I'm 12 miles from the antenna farm in Phoenix. I believe and indoor antenna can be used if you are 20 miles or less from the broadcast tower.
    [​IMG]

6. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    According to tvfool after entering your zip code it shows most major affiliates are red and 50-65 miles away. At that distance in my opinion you will need a large directional antenna roof mounted and a pre amp to get the signals you want. With a good antenna though I think you would be please with the results.

7. Matt L

Matt L Godfather

Nov 10, 2007
    What were you suing before? Analog?

First thing I'd do is make sure your coax is in good condition. This can have a great impact on your reception. Check to see if your connections have water damage. Also if you have an older amplifier in the line it can cause degradation of the digital signal. If your old antenna did a decent job in the past, it might work now too.

8. FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    They used to be good but not so much anymore. They have gotten conservative for some reason with the channels they say you can get & don't even list the others. According to them I can only get Ch 20 from Ft. Myers. In reality I also get 11, 26, 30 & 36.

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I had the same problem as you. I called D* and they told me my antenna is "obsolete" and to get a converter box. I tried to explain that the OTA tuner in the HR20 IS a converter box. This didn't fly, so I relented and asked what to connect to the converter box they recommended I get, and they said a "digital" antenna. If this is their response to the digital transition, I think it's time to just throw in the towel. The biggest antenna in the world isn't going to help if they can't get their OTA frequency database right and they refuse to listen to their customers who are experiencing problems.

10. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    It's hard to tell with just a zip code, but from what I see on Tvfool.com and antennaweb.org, you have a difficult situation for reception. A large antenna with a preamplifier on a tall mast with a rotor are needed if you want the networks.

11. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    Most new digital stations are on the UHF scale, but a handful are still on VHF. You need an antenna that handles BOTH if you want to receive everything.........

12. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Of course that's not true everywhere. http://www.tvfool.com provides all the information you need.

13. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That's why these (and other) forums are so valuable and popular. Very few CSRs have the knowledge base to deal with the question that was asked. Come here first and you won't need a CSR, in most cases. TVfool is your friend. Go there and you will find exactly what you need to know. Picking an antenna based on what you find there is fairly easy, and if you want expert help, call solidsignal.com after visiting their website.

14. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Thanks. TVFool is wonderful. My issue was finally resolved by time, several reboots and Initial Setups. When I called, I didn't even intend to ask the CSR anything. I just wanted to make them aware of a possible error in the frequency in their database, thinking it might get fixed quicker if I told them on the phone, rather than post here. Big mistake. They kept talking to me like I was a moron, relentlessly trying to convince me I needed a new antenna and a converter box and that my D* receiver won't get OTA anymore. After talking to a brick wall for half an hour, I gave up. I knew my antenna was fine since all along it worked fine with my TV's OTA tuner. Oh well, live and learn.