1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Antenna Modification?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Ivtec, May 28, 2010.

1. Ivtec

Ivtec AllStar

Jan 9, 2009
    Hi guys; i just got an Outdoor Ota antenna similar (bellow link pic) and my question is?.since i only get 3 channels (VHF High) 14 and 22 miles and the rest are (UHF) 12 to 42 miles from the Towers,
    Do i really need all the long elements since it states in the antenna info you only need the larger elements if one gets VHF low,since only have VHF High.
    if i cut at least half the antenna will it be still be good for my setup,since antenna is too long, and cause of winds. thanks in advance.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...&ssi=0&tp=3261

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Your link doesnt work, so without seeing which antenna model it is, and whether the elements are parasitic, active, or a combination, its hard to advise.

3. Scott in FL

Scott in FL Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    I can't see your antenna, but I can tell you what I did. I'm in a similar situation: my locals are channel 9 and UHF. So I bought an Antennacraft AC-9 and removed the largest element. See picture of the original antenna here: http://www.antennacraft.net/AC9.html

In my case the last, longest element was a reflector. The modified antenna works great.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, you could lose the last three elements, and shorten the boom, move the mast mounting point (since removing the last three elements and boom will cause the weight shift point to move forward), and you should be good to go. If you do that, remove the criss crossed matching wires that connect to those last three elements as well, right behind the last element you leave on the boom.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I would be wary of altering an antenna by removing elements purposely.

Antennas are designed as a package, so removing reflectors might severely lower the performance.

If you do not need VHF low elements, buy an antenna already made that way, such as the Winegard 769X series.

6. CoramDeo

CoramDeo AllStar

May 24, 2007
    Winegard makes a "769" series of OTAs that are essentially the same as their big combination VHF/UHF OTAs except with the VHF-low elements being "cut" or removed. Makes for a much slimmer OTA. I have a Winegard HD8200P that I bought a few years before the digital transition. It's HUGE... I call it "Skylab 2" but it can reliably lock on stations 60+ miles away.

http://www.winegard.com/offair/vhfuhf-antennas.php