1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antitrust Lawsuit: Sirius XM Merger Created Abusive Monopoly

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Richard King, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 #1 of 26
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091207-714212.html
    More....

Of course, the problem is that they didn't raise prices on their "basic" package. I don't think this goes anywhere other than feeding a few lawyers for a while.

2. Dec 9, 2009 #2 of 26
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    As usual, they made all the promises in the world and carefully worded everythign so they cannot be held accountable. Manwhile, the programming is much worse than since the merger, they are losing subs and giving discounted subscriptions left and right while charging extra to those not smart enough to realize it.

3. Dec 9, 2009 #3 of 26
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Well this was only a matter of time.

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I hope it forces them to merge accounting fuctions so I can add Sirius radios to my XM account.

5. MitchUW

MitchUW New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I think we should all realize that, even with the merger, Sirius-XM is struggling to remain a viable business. Their stock trades in the area of 60 cents. I will be very depressed if they don't succeed, because I don't think anyone else will step into this business model. And less you think the problems are because of the merger, neither company would have survived independently.

6. 408SJC

408SJC Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I cancelled my XM when D* added them instead of music choice. I had both a home and car XM radio and didn't see a need if I was able to get the channels I listened to with my D* sub. Too much money just for extra access to my car. Hooked up my Ipod, the the next day I canceled. If they kept it exclusive to their own service and radio's I would probably still have a sub today.

7. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    This merger was doomed from the beginning. It would have only worked if they went to just one technology. It still operates as two companies that are competing with each other.

8. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Add to that the fact that their customer service sucks, their web site for subscribers sucks...need I say more?

9. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Also after the raises the service got much more repeative. After my five months are up I am canceling one of my XM radios. It is a disgrace what they did to the 80's channel.

10. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Tell me about it! They ought to rename it the Prince channel, because he is clearly the most [over]played artist on that channel, and it drives me nuts. Seriously, there's a Prince song at least once every 60 minutes.

11. cth68

cth68 New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    that is why i canceled both of my radios after being a sub since 2003. i subscribed to xm because i had heard sirius and couldn't stand it. if i didn't want to pay for it then, why would i want to pay for it now. xm service turned into sirius overnight. no thanks i found slacker and haven't even thought twice about my decision. oh and by the way, they offered me 6 months free and i told them no thanks i won't change my mind and didn't think it was right for me to take the service that i would never pay for again unless it was changed back to xm pre-merger.

12. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    OK, so I'm driving home from work today, a 10 mile, 25-minute drive, and what do I hear? A Prince song. I get home, change clothes to go to a Christmas party, and exactly 65 minutes after arriving home I get back into the car to go to the party. I'm driving to the party and I'm in the car maybe 5 minutes, and what do I hear? That !@#$%^& Prince again! :beatdeadhorse:

I didn't like him in the 80s, I hate him even more now.

Enough! He is THE most played artist on that channel. WTF is going on?!?

XM 80s channel, among others, was the bomb. They had a much deeper playlist, too. Sirius's? Sucks. :barf:

13. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Never liked the playlist with Sirius - when it ran out on my RS4 I did the mod to add XM to it. Was sad t see the merger as the playlists now are terrible

14. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Great.

Just what subs need...a lawsuit to drain more money from S/XM.

What else can be done to help render our sat radio receivers useless?

Geez.

15. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Don't worry, they will just end up filing bankruptcy, then they'll get a government bailout, and be back in business two seconds later. ;)

16. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    HEY!!! Quit making fun of my old customer. ;) He is a very talented and very strange person. I liked most of his stuff from about the Little Red Corvette era onward, although some certainly was over the top. I had dealt with him and his manager since right after he signed his contract for the first time. What songs did they play?

17. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    So I get in my car this morning, turn on my XM radio, and what do I hear? Prince! Argh!!!

This afternoon I get in my car, turn on the XM again, and what do I hear? Prince!!! Double argh!!!

Can I go back in time and just shoot his mother before he was even born?

Does Sirius XM play ANYthing else besides Prince??? God! I'm sick of this.

18. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    And not even his deeper stuff just Red Corvet 10 times a day.

19. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm pretty sure that they have other channels you could try. ;)

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    When they go bankrupt, Charlie will buy them for next to nothing.:rolleyes: