1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any benefit using a Dish Network Reseller?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mitchelt, Dec 27, 2010.

1. mitchelt

mitchelt New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Is there any benefit in using a Dish Network Reseller vs. going directly with Dish Network?

Thanks!

Mitch

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Maybe.

If you know a good reseller in your area, you will get to deal with a local installer who might be more able to work with you on your order.

That's not to say that dealing with Dish directly has to be a bad experience... just that you don't know who they will send out, and if you get someone you don't like... them's the breaks... whereas if you pick a local reseller you get a chance to talk with them before you've committed to anything and see if they will be to your liking.

3. Chicago_tech

Chicago_tech New Member

Dec 27, 2010
    It's usually better to go with a local Dish Network Authorized retailer because they can explain things to you on a personal level (including all minor details and fees), most likely schedule your installation quicker, and take care of your installation in case you have any problems in the future. You're going to get the same equipment and promotions regardless of who you go through, but it's worth looking up a local retailer and asking what kind of promotions they're offering. You never know; you might get lucky!!

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If you have a local dealer, what Stewart says is correct. And if you are in a very rural area it would be beneficial to go talk to one if there is one in your area.

I'm in a very rural part of California and Dish uses a contractor located somewhere else who hires a "subcontractor" meaning "an out-of-work-guy-who-owns-an-older-model-small-pickup-who-knows-far-less-about-Dish-installs-than-I-do." And there are no local dealers.

On the other hand, if you are within an urban area in Colorado, you likely would see a competent installer dispatched by Dish.

If you mean by "Dish Network Reseller" one of the many on line or direct mail or phone solicitor companies from somewhere, you're probably better off to deal with Dish directly.

5. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Could be......in my area I didn't know the installers, I called dishTV they sent out these guys who were agreeable, relatively knowledgeable, and did what I ask of them with no attitude.......I tipped them, the next time was easier. 20 bucks well spent.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'd go with a retailer but not a reseller. Make your deal with the company responsible for the install. You might find a cheap deal online somewhere from a non-installer but you're better off going with DISH directly unless you have a local retailer who does their own installations, has a good reputation for doing them right and has a real storefront in your community.

I'm not going to buy from a company that consists of an ISP hosting account and an 800 number that won't be responsible for the actual installation.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Speaking for myself, a Dish Retailer is (or should be) much more motivated to take good care of you, as there is a lot riding on whether or not you stick around as a customer. YMMV, of course, but we're generally willing and able to spend more time with our retail customers, helping them figure out what they want/need and making sure they understand everything they need to know. It *can* get complicated, and since most folks don't read the forums here, it can take several conversations sometimes, especially for larger systems.

The deals are mostly identical, but support is often much better from the retailer, if for no other reason than the retailer being local.