1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Chance DTV Will Add Arabic International Package?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mya23rd, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mya23rd

mya23rd Legend

Dec 10, 2005
    I know this is kind of an obscure question but I know that DTV has been adding a lot of different international packages to its offerings. Does anyone know if there is any info on whehter they might add some Arabic package like Dish Net offers. Are they trying to atch Dish or are they doing their own thing. Any info or news would be appreciated.

2. westwood wizard

westwood wizard AllStar

Dec 21, 2005
    Directv is not trying to match Dish Network tit for tat literally but I guess it would be natural for them to go after some of the same ethnic groups. I doubt Arabic channels are at the top of their list though. I do not believe Rupert Murdoch and his News Corporation are big on the Middle East generally speaking.

3. mya23rd

mya23rd Legend

Dec 10, 2005
    Yeah Murdoch is definitely not a fan of the Middle East, thats for sure. But I think business comes first to him and if they can make some money by charging a premium for Araic channels as Dish Network does, I thin he might be willing to overcome any reservations. I mean the Arabic package is Dish Net's top selling internaitonal package from what I've read so there is definitely demand for it. And I know that DTV has been adding a lot of different international packages. They used to have a few but I went to the DTV website to take a look and they have added a lot more. I just don't get why they would add some of those more obscure internaitonal packages and not one that is relatively more mainstream, well I mean in terms of demand and potential customers. I guess it all depends on how much Murdoch hates the Middle East and how willing he is to add their channels to DirecTV. It does make sense to do so in my opinion, thats one of the advantages of satellite over cable. And by the way, there is this rich Saudi prince who owns a huge stake in Newscopr, something like five percent and he is supposedly pushing for them to add some Arabic programming to the DTV lineup. But there is probably nothing coming anytime soon since II haven't heard anything, but you never know because those pakcages seem to appear out of nowhere.

4. NVBlue

NVBlue Legend

Aug 3, 2005
    No just Christian stations.

5. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Or if you're really interested take a look at Globe Cast World TV for a system that gets a lot of Arabic channels. Wouldn't be on the DTV receiver, but you can get a lot of channels, for free, that Dish charges for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.