1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Deals? HR20 to Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dtparker, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dtparker

dtparker New Member

May 24, 2007
    I want to upgrade my HR20 to a Genie, as the title says. Anyone been able to get a good deal from DTV on this sort of upgrade? I already have MRV in place, but I will need a new AM21.

What are the experiences out there? Or should I go get a Hopper? I'd prefer to get an HR44, but I can't afford the $299 at Solid Signal ATM.

thanks,
    Dave

2. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    It is really a "Your mileage may vary" scenario. Have you checked your online account to see if you have any type of offer showing? People with the Protection Plan seem to get pretty good deals. The rest is a matter of CSR roulette. Just don't accept a deal you don't like. Always be polite, but hang up and call back and get a different person.

3. FenixTX

FenixTX Godfather

Nov 11, 2005
    Just last week I got my HR20 upgraded to a HR44. DirecTV shipped it to me for self install and it didn't cost me anything. Also got $20 off a month for a year. I also upgraded a HR21 in the bedroom to a HR24. That was also free. Also received three months free HBO and Max. And red zone channel. I wasn't under contract and I also have protection plan. Just give them a call and be polite and just tell the rep what you want.

4. dtparker

dtparker New Member

May 24, 2007
    Well so far, it is a no go. I added a new H24 last month (for a total of 4 outlets) and DTV claims this is an "upgrade" so I am not entitled. Heck it is a completely new service.

Retention will do $399 on a Genie to replace my H20-100. List price. 14 years apparently counts for nothing.

Dish Hopper and equivalent # of receivers for $49/month for a year, and $79 per year afterwards, may go that route.

Also gonna see what Time Warner will do.

I was a little surprised retention wouldn't budge, but it is what it is, I suppose.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Were you charged for the receiver and/or installation?

6. dtparker

dtparker New Member

May 24, 2007
    Yes, it was a self-install I got from Solid Signal at $99. I went from 3 outlets to 4. No truck roll.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, that is the "subsidized" price. So technically speaking you just got an upgrade a month ago

8. dtparker

dtparker New Member

May 24, 2007
    The CSR agrees with you as does retention. They told me to call back in 3 months. Oh well.
    Don't want a Genie that bad, so ordered an HR24/AM21 from Solid Signal.

With the e-SATAs, this will give me 2 TB and 4 tuners. Enough for now.

I find it hard to swallow that an additional outlet is EVER considered an upgrade, but that's just me, I guess.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Sure it is, you upgrade your service to add an additional receiver, what about that isnt an upgrade?

10. dtparker

dtparker New Member

May 24, 2007
    Upgrade to me implies that I swap something for something newer/faster/better.

Addition means I install something where nothing was before.

DirecTV realizes additional revenue when I add an outlet; they usually don't get any extra $ when it is an upgrade,

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, you are "upgrading" your system, didn't you? you made it better....

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And you are also in my commitment right now with DIRECTV and you'd have to pay an etf if you leave. You'd have been better off getting the genie instead of the h24 unfortunatly.

And don't you upgrade a house if you add on to it. Same with DIRECTV, you add to it in some way you are upgrading. Makes sense to me. An addition is an upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, yes, but I see the OP's point and feelings.

14. thecougarguy

thecougarguy Mentor

Feb 7, 2006
    I called last week to see if there were any deals. The CSR said there wasn't any so said she'd transfer me to retention to see if they could help me. The girl in retention gave me a Genie for 49 bucks, free installation, Showtime and Starz for 3 months and HD extra pack for 6 months. She was going to give me the NFL package but I'm not a big sports fan.

Bottom line was 50 dollars out of pocket and 3/month extra for whole home.

The first thing I asked the installer was what model Genie he had for me. He said "you must keep up on this stuff", and said I could have either a 34 or 44 as he had both on the truck. Of course I took the 44.

15. Skoach

Skoach New Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Pickerington...
    Just had a install where I upgraded from a HR21 and two TIVO's (loved these boxes!). Got the following:

1 - HR44
    2 - CR41's
    1 - GenieGo
    Free installation (includes upgrade to SWM)
    $30 credit for 12 months.

Basically got paid $324 ($30 1 year credit minus $3 additional monthly) to take the package. I subscribe to a $75 programming package with no premiums.

I have been out of contract for 18 months and was waiting to take full advantage of the latest upgrade. I also am 'lucky' enough to have four different alternatives available to me besides DTV (Dish, TimeWarner, WOW, and ATT). Initial call got me Genie with a $49 install. Second call got me to retention and when I quoted prices for similiar function with other providers, they rolled the truck out!

Installer was prompt and knew his stuff. Entire install took less than 70 minutes (house is prewired for everything)

Deals are possible in the right scenarios

16. LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy Mentor

Sep 11, 2007
    Coastal...
    Is it still more or less a crap shoot whether you get a 34 or a 44 with the upgrade. Already have SWM, MRV, etc., so I am hoping I would just get it shipped for self install.

17. Beagle804

Beagle804 Cool Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Hockey season is upon us. There are too many nights where the Blackhawks game interferes with other recordings. So tonight on a whim, I called D to inquire about MRV. Wanted to do this for a while but just never pulled the trigger. I must have hit the jackpot with the CSR as they are shipping me a Genie with 2 minis, and adding the MRV to my account. My only cost is an extra $3/month. OK - so I committed to a 2 year agreement. Whoopdido as I've been with them for 15 years. Cable around us is awful so there's no chance I'd move to that.

Having not perused this forum much in the past 6 months, now I'm wondering if they'll ship me a 44. Part of me thinks the supply of 34's is very low and even depleted in some areas. But there is another voice in the back of my head that is saying the reason I'm getting a free upgrade is because they're sending me one of the last 34's to fully deplete the warehouse......

Thoughts on this?????

18. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    I had (2) HR-20's and an SD receiver. I called on Tuesday (10/01) and had a Genie HR44-700 instaled yesterday (10/02), replacing one of the HR20's. We added an AM21 to the Genie and removed the SD receiver altogether. The installer changed the LNB's (I didn't have SWM yet), removed the Zinewell and replaced all other appropriate hardware.

The installation and equipment upgrade were free. Of course, all of this incurred a 2-year committment. I think it also helps that I'm on the protection plan and havent asked for anyting recently. YMMV

As for the HR44, it's very fast with (5) tuners and lots of space.We'll see how it goes over time but so far, it's been great.

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yeah. Keep your existing DVR and only take one of the minis. This way you will have 7 recordable tuners that will all be accessible via MRV for the exact same monthly cost as if you only had 5. You will also be able to still watch TV in one room should the Genie die for one reason or another. With a purely Genie/Client environment, if the Genie breaks, your entire house will have no DirecTV service until the Genie is replaced.

1 person likes this.
  20. rnwjr

rnwjr Cool Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Bill, my HR-21 died tonight and I have a HR22-100, R10 & D11. When I called for my service plan they offered a Genie and two Genie mini's. The rep suggested I keep the HR22-100 and upon reading you post I'm glad I made the decision to do that. So in the end my Genie and mini's will see the HR22-100 and the HR22-100 will see the Genie correct?