1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any details on "Don't let your TV go dark" deal??

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by adam1115, Jan 29, 2009.

1. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    I heard about this deal...

"Don't Let Your TV Go Dark! The Digital Transition Happens on or before February 17."

The offer is $9.99 for local channels only, a "welcome pack" of "over 17 more channels" for $9.99, or $14.99 for both. The deal is labeled "Not a promotional price,".

Anyone have specifics? What channels are included? If I bring my own equipment is there a contract?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Welcome pack is reported to be ending 1/31/09.

3. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007

Whoever reported that is incorrect.

4. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    So nobody knows anything about the offer or how to get it??

5. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    That particular deal is being offered by Comcast in our market. The "17 other channels" are worthless, except for sports. The line "Don't let your TV Go dark" is being used by countless retailers and the FCC. The cheapest dish deal is their $19.99 Family Pack. Of cource, you might be seeing something lese, but I bet the lack of replies tells you there is no such deal at Dish.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unless you have a source more current than the dealer chat where the new prices were introduced ... no.

The welcome pack does seem to be a well kept secret. It seems that only resellers care to mention it other than in press releases. :(

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is the Dish $9.99 promotion.

8. jessshaun

jessshaun Legend

Sep 13, 2005
    Call and ask for it. It is not a promotional price. The package includes I think about 17 channels, is a "qualifying package" meaning, no equipment rental fees, costs $9.99 and you can add local channels for $5.

9. jessshaun

jessshaun Legend

Sep 13, 2005
    Channels include:
    AMC
    Bloomberg
    Boomerrang
    CMT
    Comedy Central
    Discovery Kids
    Food
    Hallmark
    History
    TLC
    MSNBC
    MTV2 (but not MTV)
    Oxygen
    QVC
    Shop NBC
    TBS
    The Weather Channel
    WE

10. adam1115

adam1115 Godfather

Dec 16, 2003
    Because I don't trust them and don't want a 24 month contract.

11. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    I would beg to differ. "Welcome Pack" is not a collection of public access channels, it has at least 23 "brand name" channels by my count, plus dozens of other public interest/shopping/religious channels...56 channels total.

Here's what I get as a Welcome Pack customer:
    http://www.northpine.com/welcomepack.txt

I had existing equipment and there is no contract.

(The 9.99 locals only deal is the one that includes only the public interest/shopping/religious channels in addition to locals.)

12. BillRadio

BillRadio Legend

Aug 5, 2004
    No, the Comcast ~17 channels are worthless, not Dish's. I found it more than a coincidence that Comcast's deal preceded's Dish's similarly-priced deal by a few weeks.

13. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Ah, yes, I get your drift. DISH could be having a problem trying to cut through the clutter of all of the bad promotions out there. This one is really a good deal!