1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any hope for MRV in National Relase this year?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BAG, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1 of 39
    BAG

BAG Cool Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Is there any hope for MultiRoomViewing in National Release this year?

2. Sep 7, 2009 #2 of 39
    RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Of course, there's hope. Is it likely? No.

SMK

3. Sep 7, 2009 #3 of 39
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Possibly, but don't hold your breath. It was included in a late beta test, but was removed in order to get dual buffering in the NR that's rolling out now.

4. Sep 7, 2009 #4 of 39
    BAG

BAG Cool Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I'm amazed that DirecTV doesn't have a "Product Roadmap" (timeline) that shows new features/enhancements releases by Quarter, like all other major software companies. Besides the MRV feature I would think that expanding the crippling Series limitation would be high on their list to keep up with the competiton. Once "T" introduces their DirecTV/HD box perhaps we will see some change.

5. Sep 7, 2009 #5 of 39
    Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I'm sure they do, but like many competitive companies, they likely advertise it publicly.

While I agree that the 50 series limitation is an issue, to call it crippling, seems just a tad exaggerated. If it were crippling, they either would have changed it, or they wouldn't have so many HD DVRs in circulation.

6. Sep 7, 2009 #6 of 39
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    It's really quite simple.. if you publish a roadmap, it's out there... and no matter what perfectly logical reason there might be for a change to that plan there will always be some fool out there pointing out what a bunch of incompetents they are because they missed a "deadline or changed one on the roadmap. I wouldn't publish one either.

It's kind of like telling a client that you will have a certain job done if and only if these 3 other things happen on schedule... the deadline comes, none of the 3 other things happened on schedule and the only thing the client will remember is that you said it would be done today.

Why bother with the grief.

You talk about software companies? Look at all the grief Microsoft catches when a product is late... I like Steve Balmer's stock answer.. It'll be ready when it's ready and not one minute sooner!

I hardly see the series limit as crippling, we have had it for years now and DirecTV doesn't seem to be suffering for it and as for the beloved "T" unit... if and when it gets here, let's see if it is perfect out of the box... from what I read on the TIVO forum there current latest and greatest is full of bugs.

7. Sep 7, 2009 #7 of 39
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    DIRECTV has consistently not said anything until it's time. Take for example the Satellite launches. You'll find no mention of specific channels until the Satellite is in space and operational because until those things are done, there is always a chance for failure.

Larry's right, any "roadmap" would cause all sorts of problems, especially when (perceived) commitments aren't met.

There is a chance Multi-Room Viewing will be available this year, but to be more optimistic, lets look towards it happening in 2010.

8. Sep 7, 2009 #8 of 39
    drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    A local watering hole has a sign above their menu that I think applies here. "If your stuffs not ready in ten minutes it will be ready in 15. If it's not ready in 15 minutes have another beer!"

9. Sep 8, 2009 #9 of 39
    phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215 Icon

Nov 4, 2007

What if you don't like/drink beer?:lol:

10. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    Eat cake. :D:D:lol: (I don't like beer either thats just what the sign says)

11. dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Move from SD Replays nearly 2 years ago to go to HD. Discussion then was MRV would eventually come to the HR boxes. 2 years seemed like a long time but we went under contract anyway. Can't believe I'm nearly out of contract with D* and still no MRV. Oh well, I find I watch less and less TV anyway.

12. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn AllStar

Jan 11, 2006
    Colorado
    Here's one vote for increasing the series limit and getting MRV out for the top 2 upgrades for the HR2x's!

I've got a few shows I'll have to record on the bedroom DVR because of conflicts and it is a pain when the family has to go in there to watch shows (plus the family room TV is the only HDTV we have).

My local NBC channel has named their Saturday & Sunday newscasts different than their Mon-Fri ones so I have 3 Series Links to get the news each night. So the 50 Series Link limit is definitely a pain for me - I'll have to remember to search for and record English Premiere League & Champion's League games by hand this year because I won't have room for Series Links for them. ARGH!! :mad:

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    for the news issue could you use a manual recording based on time?
    just thinking that may help you.

14. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I always find this 50 limit argument so strange, I guess for some it's a problem and I respect that, but for me it's like 50 OMG if I ever started recording 50 shows per week when would I ever watch them. Even at my most willy nilly moment of just throwing in everything of any interest, I could hardly get past finding 22 shows I would watch without the threat of torture.
    (And yes that includes everyone in the family setting up shows, after all half the shows we watch are the same)

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Single?

At one time last year I had 82 Series. Some were my kids shows, some were my wifes shows, some were my shows. Some were shows that weren't even currently airing, but it's nice to not have to add them again when a new season starts.

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Once MRV rolls out, I think the 50 SL limit will be a non-issue for me. I plan to spread my recordings out over at least 2 DVR's, so one will be used just for CBS and NBC, e.g., and the other for ABC and FOX. This way the tuners can stay on the same channel for back-to-back recordings and they'll hopefully all be able to be fully auto-padded.

The PBS, TNT, FX, AMC and USA first-run shows we record usually repeat, so I can make them lower priority and be pretty much assured that a later showing will get picked up instead.

For now, if you check the SEARCH thread, you'll see there are also workarounds to the current limit. E.g., you can record multiple shows using one keyword AUTORECORD, taking up only one slot in the prioritizer.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ditto.

18. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Mentor

Oct 16, 2008

Just so you don't feel alone..:). I don't think i could ever get over 50 (and no I am not single) I can't imagine watching TV THAT much....but to each his own:)

19. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    It's not that people record 50 shows per week (although some do) it's the fact that in the course of a year most people have at least 50 shows they regularly record (especially if you have a wife and kids!) The problem comes when you have to delete season passes when shows are not "in-season" to make room for others. There are often times I forget to add these same shows back when they are "in-season." It would be pretty handy to just be able to leave all of your SP's active year round...

20. fl panthers

fl panthers Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    If you only read a wee bit further.1 more line in brackets.nope not single:D