1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Mountain Bikers out there?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Neil Derryberry, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I've been mountain biking seriously for about a year now.. my current rig is my avatar, minus some recent upgrades. I really need to take a new pic.

Sound off!

2. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    I used to live on my MTB, started about 10 years ago. Then we had kids and now I never ride and I'm fatter than ever. :(

I really miss riding, even on the wussy trails here in WI. Talked my wife into riding Hermosa Creek on our honeymoon, that didn't go over very well once we got on the trail. And unfortunately we were at Hermosa before we went to Moab, so I never got to ride any of the trails there either. Not that she would have like the slickrock trails anyway.

So what is your ride? I saw your pic the other day and I was going to guess it was a Santa Cruz, but then I think I figured it wasn't for some reason, don't remember why now. I have an old Specialized Rockhopper. I would love to get my hands on a Blur, but that's a pretty steep price to pay considering I don't ride these days. Once my oldest (now 5) is old enough to ride the trails I plan on taking her out and showing her how awesome MTBing is.

3. dclaryjr

dclaryjr Godfather

Mar 10, 2007
    I used to LOVE riding and racing my MTB when I lived in Berlin. It was a Supergo mail order bike but for the time (late 80s) is was nice. The frame was Columbus steel tubing and it had the first generation Deore drive train. I rode the hell out of that thing. I still rode when I came back to the U.S. in San Angelo, Texas but it was a far cry from riding in the forrest in Germany. Then I gave it up altogether once I moved to Corpus Christi. Maybe I'll get back on in 10 years and try to take on the 65 and older crowd!! :)

4. Neil Derryberry

Mar 23, 2002
    The frame is a Sette Riddik.. the frame was cheap, $400 at pricepoint. I'd put it up against any brand.. its only drawback is that it is a little on the heavy side, 7.5 pounds for just the frame and rear shock. I've made up for that with lighter components.

What isn't in the picture is the Fox TALAS I put on it some time ago.. love that fork.

Here's the full picture.. http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237/neilster1/P1000119.jpg

5. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    That's purty, I love their frame geometry!

6. Neil Derryberry

Mar 23, 2002
    I caught the upgrade bug, this is on the way..
    [​IMG]

2004 specialized epic. I can't wait to build it!

7. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Oh my God! You took my bike!! You Ba$tard! :D

Love the Epics...sweet rides. Kinda partial to all things Specialized to be honest, even though it's hard to find a shop in our area that doesn't cater to Trek. Maybe that's why I'm partial to someone else. ;) If I had a ton of cash burning a hole in my pocket I would have a hard time deciding between a Epic-like Specialized or a Blur.

8. Neil Derryberry

Mar 23, 2002
    That blur is a nice frame.. very light. Most of the folks around me in GA have hard-ons for Turner, Titus and Ventana. I'd have a hard time justifying that kind of money for a frame unless I lose 30 pounds and start winning races.

Were you looking at that particular epic on ebay like I was? I practically stole it!

9. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Nah, I just meant you stole it as in I want that frame. I try to stay away from MTB stuff on Ebay, too tempting to blow too much money. I blow too much money there on homebrew stuff as it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.