1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Multiswitches work with 3 inputs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by micecomm, Sep 20, 2010.

1. micecomm

micecomm New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I have an oval Directv dish with 4 outputs (im not sure what the official name of the dish is called, but it was installed about 18 months ago)
    One of the outputs are run directly to a receiver in the garage and the other 3 outputs are run into the house.
    The DTV technician originally connected the three outputs in the house to a Zinwell 6x8 switch, but some HD channels werent working.
    After some research, I found out that the Zinwell 6x8 switch will not work correctly if less than 4 leads from the dish are connected.

Is there a switch out there which will work with only 3 inputs from the dish?

I really hope there is a 3x switch, because its not an easy task to run a 4th lead into the house and then an output from the switch in the house back outside and over to the garage. :(

Thank you for any info you have!

2. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    The Zinwell 6x8 ms needs all 4 cables connected at its input to function correctly (get all the channels). There are possible to solutions to your problem. Please indicate the receivers you presently have and what you are wanting to add, plus how the cabling is presently run. This may enable the folks here to offer you one or more solutions.

3. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Wow, that sounds messed up.

All is not lost. I'm not the most of expert posters here, but off the top of my head, I can think of several options.

the short answer is that there isn't going to be a Multiswitch that works with only 3 inputs.

The simplest thing to do is probably insert an external 6x8 switch shortly after it comes out of the dish before it goes to the garage and house. Run the original line from that to the garage. If you only have 3 tuners in the house than you just unhook the original 6x8 and connect those right to the outside line. If you have more than 3 tuners in the house than you would have to run a 4th line to the 6x8.

If running the line is truly not doable, than you would have to convert to a SWM system at the dish which would allow you to do somewhat simple splits - but would require SWM compatible equipment.

Sounds to me like you might have a case for a do-over in the install department though.

4. micecomm

micecomm New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Thanks!
    My setup is as follows:

Im not sure what dish I have. I think its called a slimline dish (it was installed about 2 years ago).

There are four coax outputs at the dish.

Output 1 - goes directly to a H23 HD receiver in the garage.
    Output 2,3,4 - are run into the house and are connected directly to receivers.
    - Two cables are going to an HR23 DVR in the living room
    - One cable is going to an HR23 DVR in the bedroom

I would like to get another cable connected to the HR23 in the bedroom, but I only have three outputs from the dish into the house, so my Zinwell 6x8 switch will not work for all the HD channels.

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Your stuff is SWM compatible which is good.

The cheaper and simpler way is probably to switch out the dish's LNB for a Built-in SWM, but you will be limited to 8 total tuners with no expansion possiblities. You will have 5 tuners if you do this with 3 to spare.

I've already thought of another solution then which is, near the dish output install a SWM8 or SWM16(if you think you'll add a whole lot more in receivers). It has two outputs which you can split (with the proper splitters), running one to the garage and one to receiver 1 and one to receiver 2, leaving one unused. A power supply will be located near one of the receivers to send power back upstream to the SWM to power it.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...In-Multiswitch-(SL5SWM)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    A SWM LNB requires a power inserter.

7. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    The DTV installer should have run all four lines from the dish to a ground block at the house. From there you should have 3 cables going into the house and 1 into the garage. If you remove the cables on the receiver side on the ground block and run cables from there to the MS, you can then connect the cable going to the garage to the MS as well as the three going into the house plus you will need to add the second to the bedroom. If you place the MS in the attic (or someplace in the house) you will need to add a fourth cable into the house plus one back to connect to the cable going to the garage.

An alternate solution is to replace the present LNB with a SWM LNB. Now you only need one cable from the antenna and into the house. Replace the MS with a 4-way splitter. From one port on the splitter one coax to the living room (locate the power inserter here), another splitter port will feed the bedroom and one port to the garage.

The splitter should have a power pass on one port - connect that port to the livingroom coax.

8. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    The simple answer is that it is impossible for any multi-switch to work for HD with out all 4 inputs. This is because there are 4 different options for what the dish can output and any multiswitch needs to be receiving all 4 to be able to guarantee it can provide what it needs to the connected receivers.

The simplest option is going to be switching to a SWM LNB. This will have a single output and can support 8 tuners. A dvr is 2 tuners and from what you have listed you have 5 total tuners currently. You can split the cable as needed to hook things up so you could put a 2 way splitter up someplace near the dish and send the power passing leg to the house and the other to the garage. Then hook up another 2 way splitter and send one cable to each of the dvr's in the house. Just make sure the power passing leg goes to the correct spot for the Power Inserter.

9. micecomm

micecomm New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Wow guys, THANKS!
    I will definitely be looking into SWM!

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The simplest option is to return the cabling to the way it was before the garage "derailment" and run a cable or two from the 6x8 multiswitch to the garage.

The slickest option would be to go SWM unless the OP is considering adding additional complications like diplexing or international channels.

11. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Yeah,

That is what I saw.

Dish/ LNB with 4 lines to.....WB6x8 (4 in & 8out ). Is that not enough for the plans? Move the switch back to the dish & connect with four short jumpers. Run the additional line to the garage,

Joe