1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any new information on Dish Anywhere Transfers?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by neilo, Dec 12, 2013.

1. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I just saw this article from last month just now at engadget that " the company has just promised that Dish Anywhere will handle offline videos by the end of the year. In addition to consolidating the experience, the upgrade also introduces Transfers support to Android and iPhone users -- you won't have to use an iPad to catch up on Hopper DVR recordings." Has anyone seen an actual press release about this or have any newer information? Will there be a software update on our receivers and a new Dish Anywhere App for mobile devices that will enable this?

I just got a tablet and my WiFi works better in some places of the house than others (such as the kitchen), so it would be nice to transfer a show and then watch it in the kitchen while preparing dinner or washing up.

Thanks,

Neil

2. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    The software is probably already in place on the receiver but now you just need the app update. only 17 days or less

3. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Just turned on my android tablet and saw the Dish Anywhere App updating. It opened up with a screen about Dish Transfers.

The menu looks relatively straightforward. I'm trying it out right now.

4. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    The Dish Anywhere App has also been updated to support closed captioning.

5. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Unfortunately the transfer was taking longer than expected and the progress only flashes briefly (less than a second) before going back to pending. I don't know whether I was accomplishing anything. I told a support chat person about that progress message. I asked him how large a half hour show is supposed to be and he had no answer but said it takes a half hour to upload and a half hour to process. It was taking longer than that.

6. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    Tried again and it didn't get past 0% progress when I could see that. I tried another chat and didn't get anywhere. That person suggested uninstalling and reinstalling.

She also talked with an engineer and then said, "He said that because it was just added they have been seeing some issues with it. Had a customer report it taking over an hour to transfer.
    Unfortunately he said wait a little longer, I will fill out a technical report about the issue so it gets fixed though."

I tried preparing another program (and noticed this time that a half hour program is about 490+ MB). I could see the progress on my tablet of it preparing to transfer, but then when I tried to transfer it -- once again it appears to stall at 0% and not proceed further.

7. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    How can one play transferred videos on a TV?

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You will have to check the instructions for the device that you have transferred your videos to.
    If it has a HDMI port you may be able to connect your device direct to a TV.

9. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I checked the settings on my iPhone DISH Anywhere application. I do not see that option. Should be an option.

10. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that video output is blocked, just like it was in the past on DRA app and on the Sling App. I could always see the menus and hear audio but video would be a black screen. As soon as I stopped playback, the menus would appear on my TV again. I also confirmed with Sling Tech Support that video output is blocked.

You can try using a Apple Airplay but I believe you would need to enable Mirroring mode on the iDevice.

11. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I wrote to the peeps that invented the application and asked that the ability to look at a transferred show to beable to be viewed on a TV.

I will download the AirPlay application and see if that works. if o e can view You Tube videos on a TV then DISH Anywhere should work the same.

12. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    AirPlay won't work with On Demand content or transferred videos. It only works for content you are Slinging.

13. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    It appears that there were enough problems that they have reverted the Android version back to what it was earlier without any transfers. I just called and they said they had no ETA on when it will be reissued again with transfers.

14. Revrick

Revrick New Member

Sep 5, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    the android version of dish transfer was to be in the latest update to dish anywhere but it was pulled after some users were having difficulties

15. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    The android version of the dish transfer is back.

16. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    So, I called up support and they said that even though the App was sent out again, it still isn't supposed to be working anyway.

17. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    I have the Dish Anywhere app on iPhone 5. I use it to stream all the time.

I don't see an option to transfer programming. Should there be one?

Thanks...

18. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    I didn't think the iOS version was ever pulled and has transfers since the update that included them.

19. Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Where do I find the transfer option in the Dish Anywhere app?

20. hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650 Cool Member

Mar 25, 2012
    It is a menu option on my Dish Anywhere app. Do you have the latest version of the app? Also, do you have a Hopper with Sling (also known as Hopper 2). That is the only DVR from Dish that supports transfers.