1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Any news of RB-2A?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bobnielsen, Jun 17, 2010.

1. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    With all the news of D12 and the amelioration of D10 settling down, I was wondering when we should expect to see something of D12's other half, RB-2A (BSS)? I doubt if it was added to the spaceframe as pure ballast and hope that we will see it being used in some meaningful way before long.

2. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Bump!

BSS, where art thou?

3. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It's been a while, but there has still been no news of RB-2A. I'm sure that Directv didn't add the package to D12 for ballast, so what's been going on?

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I would guess that they are working on suitable reception equipment on the customer end. Remember that none of the LNBs we have are compatible with the technology. There is probably a dish sat on a rooftop somewhere with an LNB none of use have seen before that picks up all 5 orbitals and the BSS band as well that is going through extensive testing.

5. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    The whole RB-2A payload may have been purely for proof of concept of the technology. In light of the conflicts with Ciel and Spectrum for BSS rights to transmit at the 103 slot RB-2A may never actually deliver services to the subscriber. Meanwhile DirecTV has uncontested BSS rights at 99 and I believe one other orbital slot as well.

That next bird coming from Loral (D14) may have something in store with BSS at one of the uncontested slots. The fact that they have to make use of those rights within a limited time frame or forfeit them makes that even more likely.

6. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Anybody want to explain what is RB-2A to us dummies?

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    It's another form of signal that can co-exist along with the signals we are already getting from an orbital slot. Put simply, more bandwidth to broadcast in. Even simpler, RB-2A is the symbol for more HD PPV. :lol:

8. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    It's been about 6 months since D-12 went live.
    RB-2A has been a no show as far as I can tell.

Things "slow" in general on anything NEW going on in Directv world.

Just curious if anyone has any hard information on plans or uses for the
    RB-2A BSS (reverse band) section of D-12??

Doctor j