1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any News on Comcast Dispute?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by paja, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Dec 7, 2010 #1 of 19
    paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/12/dish-comcast-feud-could-affect-chicago-viewers.html

While walking my dog yesterday, came across a DirecTV contractor and had brief conversation with him. He told me they are starting to get many switch overs from DISH because of the news broadcast locally over several mediums that DISH may lose Comcast Sports Net, which means no access to Blackhawks & Bulls for the winter(Bears aren't affected). If DISH wants to shoot itself in the foot, just deny Chicago area viewers Hawls & Bulls.:nono2:

2. Dec 7, 2010 #2 of 19
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    If the Blackhawks and the Bulls want to shoot themselves in the foot, then don't stop asking for rate increases above the rate of inflation.

As the subsidy from the non-sports fan increases more every year, we are approaching the threshold at which he will stop subscribing to PayTV, and migrate to Hulu, Netflix and OTA instead.

At that point, the Comcast Sports and ESPN will have to charge 9 dollars a subscriber each to achieve the same revenue figure they enjoy today.

3. Dec 7, 2010 #3 of 19
    paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    If you don't believe that DISH wouldn't suffer massive defections in the Chicago area if subs can't get CUBS,SOX,BULLS, & BLACKHAWKS, then you are not dealing with reality.

4. Dec 7, 2010 #4 of 19
    dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    They didn't, both parties agreed to let an independent 3rd party set the rate.

5. Dec 7, 2010 #5 of 19
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    It's the 20% that comcast owns that wants the rate hike.

Can WGN step up and take over for CSN? and make there own RSN? The teams dropped FSN to take control.

The cubs / sox / bulls / blackhawks all have some games on WGN.

6. Dec 7, 2010 #6 of 19
    JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    And likely have a hard time finding a judge that will side with dish over any 2 year lock in / ETF.

7. Dec 7, 2010 #7 of 19
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    heard it before, will hear it again..
    In the big scheme of things - it simply doesn't matter.

If those sports are THAT important to you - you should be subbing to DirectTv

8. Dec 7, 2010 #8 of 19
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Personally I wish Dish would drop all sports packages and focus on real entertainment. Let Direct have the athletic supporters and let the rest of us have something worth watching at a better value without subsidizing dozens of channels we never watch.

9. Dec 7, 2010 #9 of 19
    elbodude

elbodude Legend

Jul 13, 2006

Like the Shopping Network?

10. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    No, rather like ESPN and any other sports channel. Even Versus, where I occasionally watch Pac-10 football. Heck, I could also do without Comedy Central, and instead catch Colbert on the website.

11. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Be happy you get your local big city sports teams, here in the Philly market, DISH and Direct have never had CSN Philly, due to ComCRAP finding ways to keep it off of satellite tv. There is a supposed deal in the works for months, but still have not gotten the channel yet.

12. HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk Hall Of Fame

Jul 14, 2007
    Now THAT is funny :hurah:

Once Comcast owns NBC it will only get worse.

13. Zero327

Zero327 Godfather

Oct 10, 2006
    If you don't believe DISH doesn't care about one city out of 50 major distribution cities, YOU'RE not dealing with reality...

Your life may end at sports, but for many others it doesn't. Besides, sports television was specifically invented for people without any athletic ability to actually play themselves. If you liked sports, you'd be out playing them instead of paying for someone else to play them for you.

14. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I don't normally react violently to posts, but $!&^*# you. Some of us are injured and can't play anymore. Just because somebody doesn't or can't play a sport doesn't mean they can't enjoy it, so kindly keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.

15. paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    I love sports. I still play sports. I train for sports. I watch sports. I go to sporting events. But I also like movies, books, television shows other than sports, friends and family. Now my next door neighbor loves sports but had to have a knee replacement. What should he do?? A woman who I used to work with also loves sports and played them until getting cancer. What should she do??? You are an ignorant human being.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    OK, points made. Now take it down a notch and lets be nice to each other.

17. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    That is the most asinine thing I have ever read.

18. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    But DAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaad he STARRRTED iiiiiiit

19. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    Dish does not give a D***. Comcast / Directv / ATT can all show the bulls and blackhawks games tonight in HD DISH can't any of them in HD.