1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any News On DVR522 Yet?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Chris Freeland, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 4, 2003 #1 of 24
    Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    At the dealer chat today, was their any mention of when the DVR522 was coming and at what price?

2. Sep 4, 2003 #2 of 24
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    No price. Target is Nov. 1st at which time it will be on a new DHP promo.

3. Sep 4, 2003 #3 of 24
    Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Are you saying that the first 522's will be for the new DHP promo only? I hope not.

4. Sep 4, 2003 #4 of 24
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    That's not what they said. But obviously DHP is where they plan to use the majority of 522's & 322's.

5. Sep 4, 2003 #5 of 24
    Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    What about the additional fee of the extra tuner, or did they eliminate that? If they did it would make this dvr worth the price . Speaking of price what did they say it would list for?

6. Sep 4, 2003 #6 of 24
    toad57

toad57 Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    What additional fee? The original rumor was that a 522 would not have a $4.99 'mirror fee', which is what an additional receiver on an account has today.

7. Sep 4, 2003 #7 of 24
    HTguy

HTguy Icon

May 6, 2002
    Again, no price given today. The 522 will have the "VOD" fee but no a/o fee for 2nd room.

Most new subs will get it on the DHP promo, tho, which means they will pay the $5mo leasing/IHSA fee for the primary rcvr.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Not so good news for ppl who waiting for DVR522 or his non-disk model DP322 (someone posted at other DVBcard forum) - in a stream only beta Linux software, no final version yet.

9. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I guess 721 inventories must be pretty low....

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Linux software for the 522? I hope that is what they use. I have heard that they were going to use Linux then I heard that they were not, now I hear that they are again. Sure makes a person wonder.

11. MrPete

MrPete Mentor

Apr 7, 2002
    My guess is the 522 will use linux.
    Probably reusing most of the same code in the 721 without the so-called "Internet" features and feature to support the new 2nd tuner output feature on the 522.
    It makes sense to reuse the same code base.

12. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    I hope your right, all new code offers more opportunities for more bugs, never a good thing....

13. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Well since it is a 5xx model I thought it would use the 5xx software like the 501, 508, 510. Otherwise it would technically be different enough to be more like a "722".

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It was posted week ago - DishLinux beta software for DVR522/DP322 in the air. What are you talking about ? :D

15. AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression Godfather

Aug 16, 2003

You're probably right. It'll be a lot more like a 7 series than a 5 series. I think the 7 series just kind of has a bad rap right now.

16. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Its begining to look like the 700 series is a dead end. We have 921s, 522s 300 series but not a word of a follow up to the 721 which is oitself being replaced by the 522.

17. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Perhaps the 7xx series would be reserved for the internet/DVR. I wonder if they are going to release another receiver in the future in the 7xx range? I would have also thought that if they used Linux that they would call it a 722 as well but it had been mentioned that Linux is the future of the receivers so maybe they will be using it in all the dual tuner receivers.

If they are going to use it in hte 322 then I wonder if they would use it in the 311 as well along with other single tuner receivers.

18. Kagato

Kagato Godfather

Jul 1, 2002
    I was just thinking about the internet capabilities on the 721 the other day. Adding internet browsing to the 721 is a pretty small task. It's already linux, it's already enabled USB.

But, there are some technical issues. I think security is one. Their would have to be some firewall rules set up. The major one I think is web browser. They could use a lightweight browser like Mozilla Firebird, or license out Opera. The main problem with the browsers is it's an easy way to get into the guts of the machine. Download and execute and blamo, access to all the things Dish wants to keep you out of. They are going to have to put together a highly customized/restricted browser to keep people out. Or of course they could be like Tivo draw some lines in the sand. Don't hack the sub stuff and we won't put the smack down on your minors hacks.

Still, I can't help but think that Dish would want to jump on some web browsing stuff. It's yet another selling point.

19. Unthinkable

Unthinkable Guest

Sep 13, 2002
    Are you certain of this or is it speculation?

20. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Kagato,

I am sure there is more there that just adding a bit of a browser. I am not familar with the 721, is there a eithernet port or would they have to do the Downstream via Dish and upstream via dialup?

Also, With blocking the download cabability might do the trick, but I am sure there is more to it than that. And just because it is Linux it does not mean that it has everything a Desktop linux would have. Also, my guess is that the linux varient is fairly old and might be work with newer versions of Opera or Firebird.

However, my guess is that they dont see a demand for something like that and see it as extra work with not a lot of payoff if any. ... Most people just don't surf the net on there TVs. My guess is the display issues associated with it but most people at this point dont use TVs for Web Surfing. As HDTV rolls out maybe this will change and this feature will become a must have in Receivers.

The killer feature would be the ability to web browse using either your existing ethernet connection to your DSL/Cable modem or through Wi-Fi.

I am suprised the Sony has not added this to there PS/2 given that they now have a Ethernet Module.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.