1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any news on getting the NewsCorp stations in HD?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Lincoln6Echo, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    I know these were mentioned in the last Charlie chat, but I was just wondering from those who get insider's word from E* when this stuff gets closer to being reality.

And any word if this package of channels will include Fox Business Channel in SD/HD?

2. Bobby H

Bobby H Legend

Mar 23, 2008
    "SOON"
    :p

3. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    in all seriousness, yeah it was mentioned in the chat that they are working on a deal, BUT, they were working on a deal months ago also, so I'd say if it didn't happen yet, it probly won't be "soon"

4. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    E* are very patient negotiators. NewsCorp is run by one of the toughest, most deliberate CEOs in the country.

It could be a while. :(

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Battle of the Monster Billiionaire CEO's?:sure:

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Newscorp wants FBN to be placed in AT 100, but Charlie doesn't want to raise rates for AT 100. I think it's in court.

7. kal915

kal915 Icon

May 7, 2008
    It think its over
    :confused:

8. space86

space86 Icon

May 4, 2007
    Then where is FX, Fox Movie Channel, Fox News, Fox Business, Speed HD?

9. HDRoberts

HDRoberts Godfather

Dec 11, 2007
    No, still in court, doesn't seem to be going anywhere as far as I know.

The Fox News contract says that it goes into the most widely distributed package. Dish says that's AT200, as that has the majority (or at least plurality) of Dish subscribers. Fox says they should be in AT100.

Of course, it could be settled out of court with a larger contract specifying its placement to Fox's satisfaction, along with HD deals for FNC, FBN, FX, Speed, and Fuel. Maybe that's why there hasn't been a trial yet.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Trials take a while. I would not expect to see this before the court in 2008.

One error in Fox's case is that they have always been 2nd tier (currently AT200) for Fox News Channel. They just didn't seem to notice until the name changed to AT200 that AT120/AT100 was not the lowest tier.

One other question is the definition of "most widely distributed". Since the tiers build on each other should every subscriber to AT200, AT250 and AEP be considered a subscriber to AT100 and make AT100 the "most widely distributed" tier? Or should the levels be looked at individually (and say if one more person subscribes to AT250 than AT200 then AT250 becomes the "most widely distributed" tier even though more total subscribers see a channel in AT200).

One thing for sure, it is a mess that would be quicker solved through negotiations than the courts. Unless there is a clear cut issue that would lead to a temporary restraining order courts are pretty useless in these cases as they take a long time to come up with a decision.

11. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    As long as I have Bloomberg and CNBC I could care less about FBN. And if FBN is as biased in its reporting as Fox News always has been and the Wall Street Journal is becoming, I won't watch it even if available.

12. biz

biz AllStar

Jul 30, 2004
    But if you get the HD only pack, all we have for news is CNN. And it isn't the most centered news coverage either. It really sucks to have only one option

(yes I know I made the switch so don't go there).

13. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    Just curious, based on the website, you should be getting the SD version of Fox News with Turbo Silver or higher. Is that not correct? If so, how is the SD quality? I'm interested in the TurboGold package.

14. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    so ther than all the news corps type stuff, there really is no other HD channels comming then is there? I know my locals aren't even mentioned

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Turbo HD subscribers are HD only ... no SD Fox News. To get Fox News, one must subscribe to AT200.

(One can also get Fox News by subscribing to DISH Family ... but there are no HD channels in Dish Family.)

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are Viacom channels and AMC/Rainbow Media channels still out there. Pretty much regular TV with a HD picture.

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Mod Hat On:

While we realize that it is tempting to get into politics when discussing Fox News and the other news channels, let this serve as a reminder that political discussions are not permitted at DBSTalk. Posts containing political comments may (and likely will) be deleted without further notice.

18. IDRick

IDRick Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
    I had based my comments on info from the E* website (see below). I assumed that Dish HD Silver and Dish HD Gold were equal to HD Turbo Silver and Gold. Thanks for the correct info! That'll teach me to trust the E* website... :eek2:

======================
    Network: FOX NEWS CHANNEL

Channel Name: FXNWS

Category: NEWS/INFORMATIONAL

Available in:

AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
    AMERICA'S TOP 200
    AMERICA'S TOP 250
    DISHFAMILY
    DISHHD GOLD
    DISHHD SILVER

19. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    This isn't just about Fox News. There are other channels some of us want in HD like FX, Speed HD etc.

-Funk

20. kal915

kal915 Icon

May 7, 2008
    i vote yes for FX! :grin: